Help: Bought a HST and doesn’t run

Hello,

I’m new to this forum and sorry if this is in the wrong place. I bought a Hornby HST in First Great Western livery recently which was described as new and appears to be so. As soon as it was delivered, I tested it- the lights work but it doesn’t move. If someone could please advise me what the problem is, I would be greatful.

Thanks in advance

Edited by HSTfan

I bought it on eBay (stupid idea perhaps) and yes it was boxed in the original Hornby packaging and looks new to my untrained eye.

I’m not sure if it is the super detailed version- it’s power cars 43042 and 43029 if it helps. The lights work for both but it won’t run (43042 has the motor and 43029 is the dummy)

Edited by HSTfan

• RMweb Premium

Probably an obvious question but does the one with the motor actually have the motor? It could be that someone has bought the set, swapped the motorised chassis for a dummy one (to give them a set with two powered ones) and sold it on. It could be that the DCC blanking plug is missing, or a DCC chip is fitted which has had the ability to run on DC disabled. 

Maybe post a link to the Ebay advert, that might help people see what it is and spot any problems, and/or if possible take the body off the motorised power car and post a few pictures here?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

R2299 - that's from the pre-superdetail era, circa 2002 to 2005 and it will have the later ringfield style motor (or not). The super-detail HSTs are R2701 onwards from 2008.

Is it possible to rotate the wheels on the inner bogie of the powered car? If both rotate then it more or less certainly hasn't got a motor. If so, I would at least be raising a query with the buyer. Even though the listing says no returns, it does not preclude you getting a return if the listing is in error. It does look like the seller may not know too much about model railways, which could be a problem.

If it does have a motor it should not be too difficult to fix, but it depends if you want to try or not.

Edited by stovepipe
Additional info
  • Like 1

Hi Stovepipe. It definitely is heavier and feels the same weight as my Virgin Trains HST 43087 powered power car. Wheels do not rotate and peeking through the side/back window, there is a similar mechanism to that of my VT power car so it looks like there is a motor. 

• RMweb Premium

*EDIT* Posted at the same time as the above, sorry!

Following on from the above, if the power car DOES have a motor, and the wheels of the inner end bogie do not rotate freely, it could be that tha motor is seized, it might be possible to free it by applying gentle pressure to both the wheels with the drive cog on the back and turning them, which might be enough to free it. Otherwise, it's the work of less than a minute to remove the body shell and look. From memory I think its just held on by clips, so pulling it outwards at the bottom should un-clip it, inserting some plastic strips or similar to keep it away from the chassis as you release the clips all around. One of the spade connections that connect the pick ups to the wires could have come loose. You should be able to see the motor through the windows in both sides of the guards compartment if it's there.

Edited by JDW
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

That's good to hear. It will be worth investigating how to properly lubricate the mechanism before too long. The old oil will have congealed over the last 15+ years, and it will probably return to being a reluctant runner, even after quite short periods of not being used.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

If you’re comfortable with doing this, good, but otherwise take it to a dealer or someone you know is capable.  

Strip the power bogie down to it’s component parts, and inspect and clean each one thoroughly.  Check that all the electrical connections are good with a meter, don’t rely on a visual inspection.  If the motor has replaceable carbon brushes, clean the commutator and replace the brushes  Carefully re-assemble the bogie, congratulating yourself on having not lost any little screws, and relube sparingly. 

If it still doesn’t work, and nothing obvious has made itself apparent in the above procedure, ask again.  Good luck!

• Like 1

Hi Thejohnster.

Thanks for the advice. I don’t feel comfortable opening it up myself as I’m not an expert. I’m a driver not a fitter haha. There are plenty of colleagues I can ask though as some are really into their model trains particular some of the ex -BR guys.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...
On 17/02/2020 at 18:17, JohnTGillott said:

I have recently remotored on of this era with a kit from "strathpefferjunction.com" and what a super job it makes, if you're interested go to web site and look at "HA6" kit.

First time I’ve been on the forum for ages so only just seem this, thanks for the tip. Since I started this thread almost 14 months ago, I have bought 4 other HST sets but all brand new from modern era (GWR, LNER, XC and NR). I also hope to get the FGW and Pullman HSTs when they are released later this year.