Buying an ESU ECoS

young37215

• RMweb Gold

I currently use a Guagemaster Prodigy Advance 2 which has proved very reliable. As my layout grows I am considering upgrading to the ESU ECoS 50210 system which seems to be the leading premium offering at present albeit at a hefty price. Rails appear to be cheapest and are currently offering the system for £599. I additionally want the hand held controller 51113 option which Rails will order in for a further £299 making a total of nearly £900. As an alternative a quick Google search leads me to Modelbahn Lippe where their package of the 2 items would cost €826, about £700 at current exchange rates.  For a saving of 20%, I am tempted by Modelbahn Lippe who appear reliable having searched RMWeb where I find a number of positive comments regarding them.   

I would prefer to buy from a UK supplier but when all is said and done, I am buying a German product. Whether buying from Germany or Sheffield, in the event of a problem I would have to return a package, the only difference in buying from Germany is the extra cost of shipping abroad rather just the UK.  

Does anyone have any alternative thoughts about how I might best acquire an ECoS?

While the ECoS is a premium product with an equally premium price tag, may I suggest shopping around and trying out some other systems first. Most notably the Z21 and Digikeijs systems. For around £250 (Digikeijs DR5000 + Roco Wlanmaus) you can have most of what the ECoS offers. This is especially true if you prefer a handheld controller rather than being stuck at a desk to run your trains. 

• Thanks 1

@young37215 Depending how you pay for the ECoS, it may be a tad more than you've mentioned. Having done a money transfer today €829 = £730. You may have to pay a non-sterling payment fee plus commission - check first. It won't an enormous amount but it soon adds up and postal/courrier rates won't be too cheap either from the EU to the UK.

Having said that, I have an ECoS and I like it and I'm looking to expand its use later by means of a notepad.

To add: Modelbahn - Lippe are well known over here and seem to be well-regarded, though I've never had occasion to use them.

Cheers,

Philip

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, young37215 said:

I currently use a Guagemaster Prodigy Advance 2 which has proved very reliable. As my layout grows I am considering upgrading to the ESU ECoS 50210 system which seems to be the leading premium offering at present albeit at a hefty price. Rails appear to be cheapest and are currently offering the system for £599. I additionally want the hand held controller 51113 option which Rails will order in for a further £299 making a total of nearly £900. As an alternative a quick Google search leads me to Modelbahn Lippe where their package of the 2 items would cost €826, about £700 at current exchange rates.  For a saving of 20%, I am tempted by Modelbahn Lippe who appear reliable having searched RMWeb where I find a number of positive comments regarding them.   

I would prefer to buy from a UK supplier but when all is said and done, I am buying a German product. Whether buying from Germany or Sheffield, in the event of a problem I would have to return a package, the only difference in buying from Germany is the extra cost of shipping abroad rather just the UK.  

Does anyone have any alternative thoughts about how I might best acquire an ECoS?

I moved from a Prodigy Advance2 to an ECoS and I have never regretted it, but I would definitely not waste £299 on a 51113 which basically an Android phone.

If you already have an iPhone or an iPad look at Touch Cab or if you have an Android phone or tablet perhaps take a look at Engine Driver. These are not the only options.

John

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have dealt with MSL for 5 years, and found them very reliable ,very fast delivery, spend over100 euro and postage is only 3.95 euros, also when I have had to return a product they send a postage shipment label free of charge .Also if you register with them you get a 3% credit to spend on any future orders. They can be contacted via email

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Philou said:

@young37215 Depending how you pay for the ECoS, it may be a tad more than you've mentioned. Having done a money transfer today €829 = £730. You may have to pay a non-sterling payment fee plus commission - check first. It won't an enormous amount but it soon adds up and postal/courrier rates won't be too cheap either from the EU to the UK.

Having said that, I have an ECoS and I like it and I'm looking to expand its use later by means of a notepad.

To add: Modelbahn - Lippe are well known over here and seem to be well-regarded, though I've never had occasion to use them.

Cheers,

Philip

1 hour ago, brittannia said:

I have dealt with MSL for 5 years, and found them very reliable ,very fast delivery, spend over100 euro and postage is only 3.95 euros, also when I have had to return a product they send a postage shipment label free of charge .Also if you register with them you get a 3% credit to spend on any future orders. They can be contacted via email

I use a post office credit card for all my international payments, they do not charge any commission for international payments also give an excellent exchange rate normally the official exchange rate for the day . My account is with the Irish section of the Post Office

ps I use a Black Z21 with an I Pad, small and big also you can use the wirelesss or  wired Roco hand sets

Edited by brittannia
more information
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, JJGraphics said:

I moved from a Prodigy Advance2 to an ECoS and I have never regretted it, but I would definitely not waste £299 on a 51113 which basically an Android phone.

If you already have an iPhone or an iPad look at Touch Cab or if you have an Android phone or tablet perhaps take a look at Engine Driver. These are not the only options.

John

My thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread. It seems that MSL get a big thumbs up which gives me confidence to use them should I go ahead with the ECoS.

One question arises from peoples comments which is what are peoples experiences with the walkabout unit 51113?  John makes his view clear, do any users have experience that they will share. I have a large operating area and have become accustomed to the Guagemaster walkabout unit meaning I want something similar with any new control system. A couple of friends have had poor experiences using their smart phones as a controller making me hesitant about using mine for this purpose. 

• RMweb Gold

Just to throw some more retail options into the mix, I have also ordered ESU products from ArsTECNICA (url is www.model-railway.expert) and Lokshop (url is ssl.lokshop.de).  All orders have been dealt with swiftly and delivery was very quick.  Pricing is very attractive, so one of these might give you a cheaper deal than MSL?

As others have mentioned I wouldn't bother with a 51113.  When I want a "mobile" option I use a tablet connected to the ECoS via a VNC client.   This provides a full interactive capability with the ECoS (nice video here):  

There are also specific apps that you can install on Android and IOS devices.

Steve

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Just to add another comment in support of ECoS, (not really related to the original question) . . . the ECoS works perfectly with JMRI software on a Mac or PC to make a lot of the really useful features the ECoS has even easier to use, including the ability to "drive" from the computer if you wish.

John

5 hours ago, young37215 said:

......One question arises from peoples comments which is what are peoples experiences with the walkabout unit 51113?  .....

....A couple of friends have had poor experiences using their smart phones as a controller making me hesitant about using mine for this purpose. 

Regarding the Mobile Control II  (50113 & 50114) .....

There are strong indications that ESU will be introducing an updated version of these handsets next year.

One suggestion I've read, is that the new version will be called Mobile Control II S

They may announce this at the Nuremberg show in around 6 weeks time (end of January 2020).

There are a number of issues with the existing models, such as old, now dated processors that are not powerful enough, WiFi issues, problems with Android affecting connectivity and performance of the core task (i.e. the train control app), etc, etc.

I've read elsewhere that the system is locked into an out of date version of Android, which carries a number of inherent problems and that ESU underestimated the problems and resources that would be necessary in trying to maintain up-to-date alignment with the cumbersome Android OS.

Having said that, I have the (ESU made) Piko SmartControl with the same, but rebadged handsets.

Despite a few idiosyncrasies, I find it to be a very good handset and the system works very well.

The control wheel feels intuitive and gives the sort of tactile feedback that glass screens alone do not have.

I haven't really put it to the full test so far though ....and I'm still learning.

I think there may be a question mark over waiting to see what will happen with the Mobile Control II (....if it is announced, when will it appear in the shops?) ..... and that is buying from Germany.

Up to now it has been no different from buying from, for example, Sheffield or Liverpool, apart from the price being in € rather than £.

What effect will our leaving the EU in 6 weeks time and the provisions of the transition period have on future transactions?

If , as I understand it, nothing substantive changes in consumer law, consumer rights and taxation, all should be OK....at least until the end of 2020.

Edited by Ron Ron Ron
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

I have an ECoS (well 3 if you include my dads 2) and they are excellent controllers if you can use the features. Regarding returns if problesm arise - I had one dropped and the screen went funny, it went back to Germany via South West Digital in Weston Super Mare so shouldn't matter If you buy here or Germany they will sort it - please note it goes in bulk not 1 at a time so could be out a while if anything happens.

I use touchcab http://touchcab.com/ if you have an iPhone this is great, just need a router to connect to ECoS and you are away

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

And another vote for ECoS with a smartphone app for hand held throttle - did go down the ECoS remote route and regretted it!

ECoS is the dogs whatsits for sure...looking to go to touchscreen monitor for route setting with it on Abbotswood MK2

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks to everyone for their contributions, I now feel much better placed to make decisions about where I go next. Whilst I think everyone agrees the ECoS is a good system, the current weaknesses of ESU's remote has knocked ECoS off of the top of my list of potential controllers. Even if a new updated remote emerges in the coming months, it will be some time before it earns any sort of reputation. 

Back to the drawing board for now, fortunately my Prodigy does everything I need from it at present. 

• Like 1