MODELMASTER UK - Order delays

Ian Abel

• RMweb Premium

Okay, this is getting ridiculous, having offloaded all his N scale etched nameplates to the NGS and saying he was winding everything down, mysteriously he now has a whole load more just delivered?!?

We've just received over 3,000 MODELMASTER N Gauge nameplates ordered a few months ago!

It will take at least a couple of months to prime, paint and pack them, but we'll send out back orders as soon as possible, and relist them on our online catalogue.

More baffling mixed messages!!!!

Edited by John M Upton

• RMweb Premium

So, is he winding down the business or not?  I am throughly confused.  Not that it matters anymore, I am unsubscribing from his Borisings.

Thankfully the NGS has got the nameplates now and I await delivery from them instead.

• Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...

so by way of an update. I triggered a credit card chargeback from which a credit was applied to mt account in October.

Imagine my surprise yesterday when opening a letter and finding my order of transfers in full.

Today has been having to re-contact my card provider with this news.

I think that my business will now being going elsewhere regardless of this development.

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Bucoops said:

Just had a quick chat with them and it's not the main company. They are alive and well as it were.

Interesting.

Mr James Grindley holds only 1 director role according to companies house and that is with the newly dissolved company. He isn’t named as a director of any ‘new’ or alternate business.

There were no other directors.

The website doesn’t seem to name the trading company or give the registered address & registration number.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, black and decker boy said:

Interesting.

Mr James Grindley holds only 1 director role according to companies house and that is with the newly dissolved company. He isn’t named as a director of any ‘new’ or alternate business.

The website doesn’t seem to name the trading company or give the registered address & registration number.

Does a sole trader or partnership have to be registered with companies house?

Edited by Asterix2012
Corrected spelling

12 minutes ago, Asterix2012 said:

Does a sole trader or partnership have to be registered with companies house?

Sole trader, no. Partnership is a form of incorporation and would most likely be an LLP or Limited Liability Partnership.

The website does not claim to be a limited company. Barring conspiracy theories,  it looks like it is not incorporated.

Rec'd just now.

"According to RM Web, MODELMASTER JACKSON EVANS LTD. has been closed down by HMRC Companies House.

I asked for it to be done, as I'm splitting the company into two other Limited Companies, but unfortunately the 'sensational' announcement has been presented in such a way that I've had

quite a few messages of disbelief, sympathy, and offers of financial help.

What a difference between the way it was reported by RM Web (why DID they report a perfectly normal event like this in any case?), and the kind, concerned, helpful response of my customers.

Nothing worse than gossip!  

Jim Grindlay at Modelmaster UK"

You can see the Companies House website here: https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/SC590883/filing-history for the record at Companies House.

HMRC is not of course Companies House. 

a@y

Some people who spend too little time on Companies House are jumping to conclusions. Jim ain’t a happy bunny to judge from the mail he sent.

The company struck off has always been dormant.  That is obvious on Companies House.  What it was set up for is his business.

Nowhere on the MM website T&Cs etc is the word Ltd used for the business.

Most partnerships don't have to file accounts only LImited Liability Partnerships.  

Companies House Records are poor at mapping multiple directorships.

Jim’s comms skills are odd but give him a break.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, black and decker boy said:

Interesting.

I have noted quite a few mismatches (unrelated to this thread) in recent years on Companies House where some registrations have directors middle names, some initials and others don’t. This means the other directorships info is  often not  accurate.

38 minutes ago, Jonboy said:

I have noted quite a few mismatches (unrelated to this thread) in recent years on Companies House where some registrations have directors middle names, some initials and others don’t. This means the other directorships info is  often not  accurate.

I searched his surname and went through all 96 matches. I’m quite used to using Companies House website, having been a director myself and doing the annual statement and other updates for 10 years.

no one here has cast aspersions and no one here has said he was struck off, merely that the Ltd company was dissolved.

Others have clarified that a sole trader wouldn’t show on Companies House.

He has now clarified he is still trading and that is clearly included here so we can go back to the humdrum that this thread has been used to.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Lay off this Gentleman. Someone even said he may have 'lost the plot'. How rude and inconsiderate. JIm is getting on in years and may well have slowed down a bit. Who knows. I suggest that those casting possible Libellous comments need to shake their heads and remove the comments.

JIm is a trusted and long standing bloke that has been continuing on his own after many years on the scene and in partnership with a now deceased friend.

I am disgusted by many of the posts on here. Unbelievable.

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 2
  • Agree 9
  • Friendly/supportive 3

35 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Lay off this Gentleman. Someone even said he may have 'lost the plot'. How rude and inconsiderate. JIm is getting on in years and may well have slowed down a bit. Who knows. I suggest that those casting possible Libellous comments need to shake their heads and remove the comments.

JIm is a trusted and long standing bloke that has been continuing on his own after many years on the scene and in partnership with a now deceased friend.

I am disgusted by many of the posts on here. Unbelievable.

Phil

Whilst in no way condoning such comment, it is symptomatic of an information vacuum.

If you enter the field of retail, you have a duty to keep your customers informed; if you decide to change or reduce such activities it is incumbent on you to inform potential customers.

I sometimes read the excuse that "He can't access / doesn't know how to update his website"; absolute rot - a quick post here, copied to the model railway press, will soon ensure that the model railway community knows what's going on.

If rumours are flying about, it's down to the owner of the business to broadcast his true intentions - and then stick to them!!

John Isherwood.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

I placed an order before Christmas. There were the inevitable Christmas delays. I had another query which I sent by email and Jim immediately emailed back and asked for me to ring him which I did and he answered my query quickly. Later I emailed for to lack of receipt of order and Jim rang me to confirm it was on its way and I received it a few days ago. So although service may be slow, Jim seems to be engaged and helpful and at the mercy of the current appalling royal mail service....

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Crantock said:

There is no information vacuum.  Those on their mailing list have received 5 emails in 2021 already.

But are those emails correct?

The one posted above certain isn't. Nobody from RMweb "announced" or "reported" anything as far as I can tell. It wasn't even a regular forum member.

It was a poster making his first post and it has since been deleted. The post is still visible above as it's quoted. It doesn't even say anything which is strictly speaking incorrect. Maybe it was wrong to post it, but that's up to the moderators.

Maybe the poster was a customer wondering why he hasn't received his order, or wanted to order but has heard bad things and decided to do some research. And then found that.

It happens. I've done similar before today when I've used a company I'm unfamiliar with. Surely we all do now with sites such as Trustpilot and TripAdvisor? Or checked the feedback on a eBay or Amazon seller.

Jason

I  ordered a half dozen GWR plates on November 28th, they were in my mailbox stateside by Christmas.  Took advantage of the New Years Eve sale, another half dozen GWR plates ordered.  The cart was broke though, it was a BREXIT thing, it could not calculate international postage.  A quick exchange of emails with Jim and they were in the post shortly thereafter.  Five stars from me for responsiveness, delivering quickly during the Christmas rush, and during a pandemic no less. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, TheEngineShed said:

I  ordered a half dozen GWR plates on November 28th, they were in my mailbox stateside by Christmas.  Took advantage of the New Years Eve sale, another half dozen GWR plates ordered.  The cart was broke though, it was a BREXIT thing, it could not calculate international postage.  A quick exchange of emails with Jim and they were in the post shortly thereafter.  Five stars from me for responsiveness, delivering quickly during the Christmas rush, and during a pandemic no less. 

Same here, I ordered two sets of GWR plates and a transfer sheet the day after you and they arrived around mid-December (can't recall the exact date). In fact attaching one of these plate sets is this evening's first modelling task.

• 1 month later...

At least I'm not the only one. I ordered and paid for 1 set of transfers over 9 weeks ago, and nothing. Although i do get the weekly moaning email about how busy he is. 
i have used model master for years but i fear i will never again.

whilst i understand delays with covid etc, he sent an email saying he had over 400 orders since Christmas. If he works a standard 5 day mon-fri week, over 9 weeks, thats an average of only 10 orders a day to post. That doesn't seem a great deal considering orders from one-man-band shops on Etsy supply quicker. It wouldn’t be so bad but when you have customers stock waiting and their waiting, it makes it worse. I sincerely hope things get sorted. I don’t want to have to go through an independent to claim monies back. 

• Friendly/supportive 2