MODELMASTER UK - Order delays

Ian Abel

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, caradoc said:

If he did, he would probably think 'why do I bother' and shut the business down. Not making excuses for the slow service some have clearly received but I have never had a problem with Modelmaster, and their range of transfers has been extremely useful to me. 

I suppose a lot depends on what you define as "no problems"? I ordered some transfers from his website back in January, and they arrived last week. It wasnt urgent, so I took the delay in good grace, as it is to be expected. If his website said something like "please wait for delivery up to 6 weeks" (or whatever), there could be few complaints. Its the contrast between his service, and that of other suppliers - who are equally affected by lock down, by working on their own etc.

I also buy some of his stuff from ebay. Surprisingly (or not!) those orders arrive promptly. But not everything he has on his website is listed there. Which makes me wonder if he only lists on ebay items he has in stock and ready to go, while a lot of stuff on his own website need to await a delivery from a supplier. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...
On 16/03/2021 at 17:37, Darius43 said:

I gave up on Modelmaster having ordered two sets of decals, receiving only one and having my requests for the second set that I had paid for ignored.

Two other providers of decals offer professional websites and fast and competent service as far as I am concerned.

Cheers

Darius

Likewise, I ordered three sets of 4mm scale decals on 4th October, only two sets arrived and one of those was 7mm scale!  Never returns calls or emails, the only time I have ever managed to speak to him he was extremely abrupt and I still did not get an answer.  Paid with useless PayPal and the order is not covered by their buyer protection so looks like a call to trading standards.  There are other suppliers who are competant, polite and helpful, they will get all my future business.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

I placed my order and payment was taken on the 11th January 2021 - and I'm still waiting.. I know he was having problems due to the pandemic restrictions. I was not in a hurry for the items, but it is now the end of April and despite being told to telephone and not email - you cannot get a reply.

I have used them in the past and I find their product very good and I have never had a problem. His site should say that orders are taking many weeks - even months. 

I suppose then my order for some CCT transfers, from exactly 1 month ago come tomorrow, doesn't come anywhere near to being delayed yet? Payment was taken from me within 24hrs of ordering. I've tried to give him some slack, and haven't queried it yet, not even sure that I should bother.

Stewart

• Friendly/supportive 1

24 minutes ago, stewartingram said:

I suppose then my order for some CCT transfers, from exactly 1 month ago come tomorrow, doesn't come anywhere near to being delayed yet? Payment was taken from me within 24hrs of ordering. I've tried to give him some slack, and haven't queried it yet, not even sure that I should bother.

Stewart

If an order to CCT is not acknowledged within 24 hours, I have not received it.

Perhaps you would care to contact me by PM?

John Isherwood,

CCT.

3 minutes ago, Eddie R v2.0 said:

Suspect that the previous poster has ordered some transfers for a CCT (from Modelmaster) rather than from yourself John 

Cheers

I think that you are probably correct!

John Isherwood.

12 hours ago, cctransuk said:

If an order to CCT is not acknowledged within 24 hours, I have not received it.

Perhaps you would care to contact me by PM?

John Isherwood,

CCT.

I can confirm that I've never had any problems with orders from Cambridge Custom Transfers - the above post was indeed referring to a Modelmaster order for transfers for a CCT vehicle!

Apologies for any confusion !

Stewart

• Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
On 23/04/2021 at 19:48, TonyW said:

Likewise, I ordered three sets of 4mm scale decals on 4th October, only two sets arrived and one of those was 7mm scale!  Never returns calls or emails, the only time I have ever managed to speak to him he was extremely abrupt and I still did not get an answer.  Paid with useless PayPal and the order is not covered by their buyer protection so looks like a call to trading standards.  There are other suppliers who are competant, polite and helpful, they will get all my future business.

May I suggest you have a word with Andy York before flying off the handle and doing what you suggest. There is a good reason for this request.

Phil

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, Mallard60022 said:

May I suggest you have a word with Andy York before flying off the handle and doing what you suggest. There is a good reason for this request.

Phil

There may well be reasons why this situation exists, and there may well be reasons not to publish them in this forum - but a complete information vacuum, and an attitude that 'we know but we're not telling', can only generate frustration and speculation amongst existing and potential customers.

I refuse to believe that persons with outstanding orders cannot be notified of the reasons, and their payments refunded - if necessary by a third party; perhaps one or more of those 'in the know'?

Unless the true situation becomes generally known, the number of justifiably disgruntled persons will only grow, and this will result in legal action sooner rather than later.

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Agree 4

Phil

Who is flying off the handle?  We have all suffered problems over this pandemic but it is no excuss for bad manners and poor service. 

Phone calls are just unanswered, an answerphone message would at least be something.

The item that I paid for last October is still shown as available on his website - no way to run a business.

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• Moderators

May I suggest you have a word with Andy York before flying off the handle and doing what you suggest.

I think customers have been quite reasonable (on here) in expressing frustration so I can't ask people to calm down. The onus is on the trader to communicate. I'm sure there have been extenuating circumstances for any or all traders who have may ended up letting a lot of people down but there comes a point where they have to shoulder that rather than assuming that someone else will keep them off their back.

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, cctransuk said:

.....a complete information vacuum, and an attitude that 'we know but we're not telling', can only generate frustration and speculation amongst existing and potential customers.

I would think that the number of potential customers is dropping fast. Anyone who places an order now with a supplier reported as unreliable should not be really surprised if the goods do not arrive.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Colin_McLeod said:

I would think that the number of potential customers is dropping fast. Anyone who places an order now with a supplier reported as unreliable should not be really surprised if the goods do not arrive.

That assumes that all potential customers read RMweb - how many non-RMweb modellers have Modelmasters lists and may send orders by post, with cheques as payment; or may well place orders in response to https://modelmaster.uk/ ?

When I am unable to process orders in a timely manner I give prior notice on my website, and give a realistic date on which normal service will be resumed. It is the least that potential customers can expect.

Is it really impossible for someone to put a warning notice on the Modelmaster website?

John Isherwood.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I had been trying to place an order from Canada for about a month, but was unable to complete the transaction.  I phoned last week and got through immediately.   Jim told me he had just come out of Hospital after having a delayed eye operation, that he could hardly see, that it would be like that for at least a couple of weeks.  We agreed that I would send him an e-mail with my requirements and that when he could complete the order he would e-mail me and I would phone with the CC details - He is aware of the web problem and he is trying to get it sorted.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I placed an order on February 7th 2021 for two GWR loco numberplate sets. 

I must admit reading this thread I wondered when I might see them but knew they would turn up eventually from past experience. 

Well today out of the blue the numberplates arrived with a little note of apology for the delay from Jim. 

It does sound like Jim has been having a few personal problems which has not helped matters. Like Andy has mentioned better communication may have allayed fears and given reassurance but as with my order it arrived safely and securely. 

It was well packaged and the numberplates are up to the usual excellent standard.

Perhaps if I was working to a dead line I would not be so accommodating but Jim has once more come up trumps with an excellent product and I would order from him once more. 

Cheers,

Mark 

Edited by 46444
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

I was speaking to him a week or two ago with regard to an order I had placed a month or so earlier and he said that he had a large amount of orders processed and ready to go then, with a lot being back orders due to supplier delays.  it arrived a few days later, including one I had sent him two months before that. He has had problems with health and both himself and his wife, the sole employees, have been shielding as far as possible throughout all this, and trying to make as few public trips to the Post Office as practical. He is working as best he can to keep on top of things with intermittent or non existent delivery supplies  more or less by himself and having to deal with enquiries at the same time and I am not sure how able he is to work the website beyond receiving orders, which may explain the lack of any communication via this medium. The person who did look after this died a while ago and I don't know what form of replacement he has put in place for this but he is certainly not in anything like the Coopercraft situation and is trying his utmost to keep on top of things.

Speaking here as only a customer of several decades and someone who has a good blether with him on the phone from time to time.

• Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold
On 16/03/2021 at 19:59, stewartingram said:

I agree that he needs an assistant though.

There is a big difference between needing and affording...

Having staff is an absolute nightmare for a company these days with all the things that must be complied with / afforded. That makes it very expensive. It would be one way to put the prices up, then people will moan about that.

Roy

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I fear that Jim just can't cope with the demands placed on him.

I have spoken with him in the past, but not always been able to clear the

problem of delays in getting re-prints of out of stock items.

I regret that has caused me to no longer place any orders direct. It is a shame,

but when I order it's because I need something and no matter how 'nice' the

supplier is I will look elsewhere to get my requirements.

Geoff T.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Dad-1 said:

I regret that has caused me to no longer place any orders direct. It is a shame,

Geoff T.

My position exactly - I'd like to do business with him, but there are too many errors and delays. 

On 27/04/2021 at 08:25, stewartingram said:

I can confirm that I've never had any problems with orders from Cambridge Custom Transfers - the above post was indeed referring to a Modelmaster order for transfers for a CCT vehicle!

Apologies for any confusion !

Stewart

Surprise surprise!

Postman dropped an envelope through my letterbox this morning, containing the (Modelmaster...) CCT transfers that I was waiting for. So patience is a virtue, but to take the money immediately then have the order delayed is surely wrong.

I shall look elsewhere for 1st prefence in future though.

Stewart

• Friendly/supportive 2

While I appreciate MJ-E have some problems, but the website needs an update as to delivery times. It currently says "eight to twenty days", and goes on to explain the problems and the eye surgery.  I have been waiting for fifteen weeks!  May be something will drop through my letter-box very soon?

On 30/04/2021 at 15:14, Bulleidboy100 said:

While I appreciate MJ-E have some problems, but the website needs an update as to delivery times. It currently says "eight to twenty days", and goes on to explain the problems and the eye surgery.  I have been waiting for fifteen weeks!  May be something will drop through my letter-box very soon?

I will not hold my breath, 25 weeks and counting, my order has just fell off the radar.  Will not use again, just too much agro.

Edited by TonyW

• RMweb Premium
On 28/04/2021 at 10:09, Dad-1 said:

Geoff T.

That is a very reasoned and non threatening attitude Geoff; that is kind and understanding.

I understand the frustration from many, however the reasons for the situation will become apparent in time and then maybe folk may eat a little humble pie.

A phone call from Mr York to Jim at MM would really help to clarify things as Andy has respect from Traders such as Jim and Andy is in a position to then let us know what's what. 

The issue with updates to the Website and lack of communication is bad for Jim's business, of course it is, however when people reach the stage in life that Jim is at, they may well find that they have similar difficulties. 

The whole thing needs clarification, not continued speculation and public and rather angry (on here at least) threats to contact Trading Standards etc. followed by aggressive responses to those that are desperately hinting at what Jim's issues really are, without actually being certain that that is the case due to confidentiality.

I have my issues with what is happening as I have an outstanding order too, but I have consideration and empathy for Jim's position and am just leaving this be, as having dealt with him for many, many years and had excellent service I believe he needs that respect.

That is all.

P

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1