MODELMASTER UK - Order delays

Ian Abel

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

A phone call from Mr York to Jim at MM would really help to clarify things as Andy has respect from Traders such as Jim and Andy is in a position to then let us know what's what.

I've already explained that it's not my job to bail people out that aren't helping themselves.

• Agree 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

26 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

That is a very reasoned and non threatening attitude Geoff; that is kind and understanding.

I understand the frustration from many, however the reasons for the situation will become apparent in time and then maybe folk may eat a little humble pie.

A phone call from Mr York to Jim at MM would really help to clarify things as Andy has respect from Traders such as Jim and Andy is in a position to then let us know what's what. 

The issue with updates to the Website and lack of communication is bad for Jim's business, of course it is, however when people reach the stage in life that Jim is at, they may well find that they have similar difficulties. 

The whole thing needs clarification, not continued speculation and public and rather angry (on here at least) threats to contact Trading Standards etc. followed by aggressive responses to those that are desperately hinting at what Jim's issues really are, without actually being certain that that is the case due to confidentiality.

I have my issues with what is happening as I have an outstanding order too, but I have consideration and empathy for Jim's position and am just leaving this be, as having dealt with him for many, many years and had excellent service I believe he needs that respect.

That is all.

P

Confidentiality is all very well but, in the absence of even the most basic justification from anyone as to why customers have had their money taken with nothing to show for it, their patience is not inexhaustible.

Why hint at Jim's issues if they are known? Illness of any kind, physical or mental, is no longer the taboo it once was - some plain speaking is what is needed here.

Humble pie will not be consumed at any time - everyone in this discussion seems to have behaved very reasonably.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, AY Mod said:

I've already explained that it's not my job to bail people out that aren't helping themselves.

I am not asking for that Andy, I am asking that you, the man with status and as fellow Trader/Modeller, to contact Jim and have a frank discussion about his situation and mainly his health. If he is willing he will share with you and then we shall know the reason why he is struggling. If he won't then that's it, Folk have the right to be annoyed.

Thank you.

Phil

• Like 2

• Moderators

Phil, I have no relationship with Jim other than having been a customer. Therefore, it would be an intrusion at a personal level. Then looking at the professional aspect I still have no relationship with him and therefore it may still appear intrusive and it's not an aspect of trade relationships to question someone's health and its impacts.

I have tried to help people before who I have had some degree of previous relationship with and ultimately been let down and then faced criticism from others (who have had other agendas) so if I stick my nose in and publicise a personal issue which he hasn't chosen to make public then it's not particularly sensible for anyone.

Basically I've tried to help people before and been let down so please tell me exactly why I should get into this one. I don't have any status in this regard and a paying customer ranks higher than me in this context so if one of those wishes to ask what the position is and whether he would be happy for that to be publicised then that's fine and more appropriate than me intervening.

It's up to him to communicate, not me and you really shouldn't have publicly lobbied for my intervention. I have enough to do thanks.

• Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Phil, I have no relationship with Jim other than having been a customer. Therefore, it would be an intrusion at a personal level. Then looking at the professional aspect I still have no relationship with him and therefore it may still appear intrusive and it's not an aspect of trade relationships to question someone's health and its impacts.

I have tried to help people before who I have had some degree of previous relationship with and ultimately been let down and then faced criticism from others (who have had other agendas) so if I stick my nose in and publicise a personal issue which he hasn't chosen to make public then it's not particularly sensible for anyone.

Basically I've tried to help people before and been let down so please tell me exactly why I should get into this one. I don't have any status in this regard and a paying customer ranks higher than me in this context so if one of those wishes to ask what the position is and whether he would be happy for that to be publicised then that's fine and more appropriate than me intervening.

It's up to him to communicate, not me and you really shouldn't have publicly lobbied for my intervention. I have enough to do thanks.

Thank you. Understood. I apologise for going on but I knw that JIm is not a well man. Not going any further than that.

Again, I apologise.

P

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Thank you. Understood. I apologise for going on but I knw that JIm is not a well man. Not going any further than that.

Again, I apologise.

P

If that is the case, then he should make the issue known himself. It's surely part of the responsibility of being in business not to promise to do something you cannot do?

• Agree 2

21 minutes ago, Ben Alder said:

FWsxssccvvbdccvc.jpg.ec9f26510c27e636d48a45401a0c3ee7.jpg

That perhaps goes some way to making things clearer - just a shame that the information wasn't forthcoming from the outset.

Let's hope that things now revert to normal before too long.

John Isherwood.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Update this morning:

Jim Grindlay, the Managing Partner of Modelmaster UK, has had two surgical procedures within the past six weeks because of sight problems with his left eye, and cannot read well at present, nor look at all at computer screens for the next few weeks.

We're hopeful of a good outcome in the long

term, but will have to wait for the results of more treatment.   

With Elspeth back after our lockdown absense and STRICT phone answering times (10.30 to 12.30), we can now catch up quickly with the current orders and the back orders that have been awaiting replacement items, and start to release the new decals & nameplates recently in stock.

Again, Jim CANNOT answer emails or messages. Please either 'phone at times above or go to Home Page of Website for weekly updates. 

We'll list the NEW Decals now available

in three messages, one each for 2mm, 4mm & 7mm Scale, but my first priority is to send

outstanding orders as quickly as possible.

Do look at the Home Page however, and the catalogue listings.

Again, as last time, Social Media exposure is very welcome - thanks to those who helped us in the past.

EVERYONE WHO ORDERED BETWEEN

26th January and today will receive a personal discount code as a 'thank you'

for your patience, loyalty and good wishes

during a very difficult four months for us,

when extra help was banned by law, and orders were almost 500% up on normal.

Best regards and Stay Safe,

Jim & Elspeth at Modelmaster

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

I received my order this morning (Order placed 11/1/2021) . Included was an apologetic note explaining that the items I had ordered were out of stock and had to be re-etched. Obviously through reading this thread I am aware of the procedures the owner has had on his eye, and I was prepared to wait. I consider the products from Modelmaster superior to some of the others available, and will use them again.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, MJI said:

Just received a strange email written in Klingon.

I don't think he meant to send it!

Looks like Jim is trying to come through new email software and the blank email template was sent in lieu of the actual message...   :)

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Has anyone heard of any update on Jim and the ongoing backlog saga? 

ive been waiting on an order I placed back 28th November last year, over £300 worth. I had 2 quite amiable follow up phone calls with Jim, in January and March, promising they were on their way. Couple of gentle emails further, then In April I tried following up by phone but unable to get through or leave a message, for reasons I fully understand from his eye operation. I tried a handwritten card in May, just asking whether it might be possible just to refund the order if it couldn’t be sent. Did receive an answerphone message couple weeks later whilst in work, saying they were on their way... aaaand... 3 weeks later, still nothing. 

I've tried ringing, but no answer or means of leaving a message. I fully understand he’s had an operation and very limited capacity. But at what point after 6 months of being terribly understanding and patient, do you say enough is enough? He clearly won’t get anyone in to help, and If he won’t reimburse the money or respond to very fair and good natured contact... are customers expected to just write off £300 quid? It’s not in my character to escalate things, but where does one go - trading standards, police, small claims court? 

I know he’s unwell, no one needs to lather that on. I have terminal cancer, and I don’t use that as a reason to ignore people or promises. But I would like to detail and enjoy my loco fleet before I snuff it, and at this rate... it’s not looking promising! 

Any advice / pointers / suggestions greatly appreciated.

• Friendly/supportive 7

4 hours ago, craigowen1976 said:

Has anyone heard of any update on Jim and the ongoing backlog saga? 

ive been waiting on an order I placed back 28th November last year, over £300 worth. I had 2 quite amiable follow up phone calls with Jim, in January and March, promising they were on their way. Couple of gentle emails further, then In April I tried following up by phone but unable to get through or leave a message, for reasons I fully understand from his eye operation. I tried a handwritten card in May, just asking whether it might be possible just to refund the order if it couldn’t be sent. Did receive an answerphone message couple weeks later whilst in work, saying they were on their way... aaaand... 3 weeks later, still nothing. 

I've tried ringing, but no answer or means of leaving a message. I fully understand he’s had an operation and very limited capacity. But at what point after 6 months of being terribly understanding and patient, do you say enough is enough? He clearly won’t get anyone in to help, and If he won’t reimburse the money or respond to very fair and good natured contact... are customers expected to just write off £300 quid? It’s not in my character to escalate things, but where does one go - trading standards, police, small claims court? 

I know he’s unwell, no one needs to lather that on. I have terminal cancer, and I don’t use that as a reason to ignore people or promises. But I would like to detail and enjoy my loco fleet before I snuff it, and at this rate... it’s not looking promising! 

Any advice / pointers / suggestions greatly appreciated.

Credit card chargeback?

they don’t lose, you don’t lose. 

they have not supplied the goods so are not out of pocket. You recover your payment so are not out of pocket.  They have in fact had 6 months of credit & interest on your money.

I reclaimed when they didn’t supply me. 
life is too short to wait indefinitely and I am not a charity to subsidise a commercial business.

Edited by black and decker boy
  • Agree 3

43 minutes ago, black and decker boy said:

Credit card chargeback?

they don’t lose, you don’t lose. 

they have not supplied the goods so are not out of pocket. You recover your payment so are not out of pocket.  They have in fact had 6 months of credit & interest on your money.

I reclaimed when they didn’t supply me. 
life is too short to wait indefinitely and I am not a charity to subsidise a commercial business.

Your fortunate, I paid by Paypal 4th October 2020 and there is no comeback, last time I use modelmaster or paypal.

• RMweb Gold

@craigowen1976, my thoughts: Seperate the man from the business. Claim your money back.

There is sympathy, and there is unacceptable treatment of a customer. If he again tells you that your items "are on their way" tell him that you don't believe him, and demand a refund.  See what happens.

Chargeback is a good idea and you can try that as well.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Johnfromoz said:

This clown should not be trading. Simples.

I have great sympathy for the Customers involved

BUT. We all get old, and some will develope illnesses that will severely inhibit thier activities while still TRYING to move on with life. He is NOT a clown, he is an elderly gentleman who has obviously suffered a debilitating illness and has had operations to try and mitigate his problems. Yes his comunication is less than stellor, your COMUNICATION ?? is that of an Arse 'Simples'.  Sorry but you crossed a line

Sorry Andy I'll take whatever punishment you see fit but the above comment was un called for

Edited by Matt C
  • Like 3
  • Agree 10
  • Round of applause 1