NG Industrial workshop cakebox...

Ralf

• RMweb Gold

Hi All, 

Have been talking about and meaning to get into actual modelling rather than dreaming about it and reading how to do it... So in an effort to get something done I'm going to attempt a an entry for round 4 of the 2019 Cakebox.

As I already have some card kit huts, a Scale Model Scenery 8" board and a Narrow Planet loco kit they'll hopefully be transformed into a industrial railway workshop, inspired by my visits to Bolton Fell Peat Moss near Carlisle. See picture below (not my photo it's a Flickr link) 

Bolton Fell 2 30-09-2013 016

As you can see I quickly discovered the shed was way to deep so have brutally hacked at it with a knife and have started in-lay for the track, I think another layer of card and some DAS and it'll be adequately inlaid into the concrete yard... The bullrushes are an aspiration if I manage to keep on target there'll be a marshy bloggy brown area front left in which they may lurk... 

All feedback, thoughts, help, guidance very much encouraged it's my first foray into anything vaguely scenic ever! 

The workbench and the ingredients for my cakebox... 

IMG_6686.JPG.e56a20a31b6547d6738544cd77c860d0.JPG

The workshop / shed is far too deep... 

IMG_6687_2.JPG.892db9a715d089e01ff3d40046678e12.JPG

It was too deep! Hacked at it with a saw and it's looking more promising... 

IMG_6688.JPG.6a1f7c78033be56aaae8051a7f11f672.JPG

Hacking some card away to 'plant' the railway into the concrete hard standing... 

IMG_6692.JPG.7c3c2a6b618c9a88e5faa3c253d8111c.JPG

Vaguely the look / kinda thing I'm after...

IMG_6695.JPG.7ca0996430b755e412d79af82572fa53.JPG

Edited by Ralf
Flickr image missing!
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Dickon said:

I like this idea.  However, you could create more space in the yard if you could make the shed doors double fold.  Just a thought....

Thanks Dickon, that's a good idea esp as I cannot get long wheelbase vehicles in / out of the current layout... If it'd been a print-at-home kit I think I'd have re-done the doors as you suggest but it's not it was a Scale Model Scenery laser cut card kit (which I loved building compared to the Scalescene ones. Link to the kit:  https://www.scalemodelscenery.co.uk/kx026-oo-the-old-workshop-oo4mm176-667-p.asp

7 hours ago, joejab95 said:

I really like that. Perhaps a welding effect from inside the workshop might look effective?

Now there's an idea... If add electricity and extend the scene - which I'm tempted with I shall certainly look at one of them... 

So a brief update:

The cardboard hardstanding ready to glue down and prime. 

The cardboard hardstanding ready to glue down and prime.

The interior of the shed admittedly a bit hacked where I've chopped it up but it's a lovely kit, wish I'd built it with this diorama in mind though not as a stand alone! 

IMG_6770.JPG.bd345b2ecaeeddc85f619745c40bb634.JPG

Final news it's finally not raining so been outside and tried to prime the baseboard and infill, well it's blooming dark and windy. It didn't go well, have left it to dry and decided I need a spray booth even if just for aerosols for priming for the time being... 

Thanks

Ralf

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Ralf said:

Thanks Dickon, that's a good idea esp as I cannot get long wheelbase vehicles in / out of the current layout... If it'd been a print-at-home kit I think I'd have re-done the doors as you suggest but it's not it was a Scale Model Scenery laser cut card kit (which I loved building compared to the Scalescene ones. Link to the kit:  https://www.scalemodelscenery.co.uk/kx026-oo-the-old-workshop-oo4mm176-667-p.asp

As it's a card building it shouldn't be too difficult to remove the open left hand door, cut (or score and fold) it down the middle and rehang it while making the welding effect visible around the side of a still closed right hand door?

Edited by Dickon

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Dickon said:

As it's a card building it shouldn't be too difficult to remove the open left hand door, cut (or score and fold) it down the middle and rehang it while making the welding effect visible around the side of a still closed right hand door?

I may well try tomorrow... 

Track glued with droppers just in case I want them, then weighted with all the 9mm stock I could lay my hands on. The baseboard and card was primed in the cold windiness of last night. 

IMG_6792.JPG.a0d8fc38d4e98c6fa202bc408034639e.JPG

The body has had it's second coat of paint, as you can see the cab roof has been glued back on - yes I was using brute force to try and fit it even though Narrow Planet expressly mentions care and brittle-ness... Also a Meridian Models Penrhyn Quarry Railway coal wagon leapt out of the drawer so it got built too! 

IMG_6794.JPG.dc7d871aa35bd17c30f4f665dc2e1c1a.JPG

Next time I'll attempt to create folding doors and fix down the workshop....

Edited by Ralf
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

A quick splodge of DAS and folded the workshop door.

Very slowly taking shape, have some Modelu figures I need to find and somehow breathe some scene like life into it... Off to read up an idiots guide to acrylic paints as I have everything I believe I need just need to take the first steps! 

IMG_6817.JPG.4ab98aceb65877f5e087edf1aba60ce4.JPG

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

So a hour or so playing with some paints, dry pigments and a brush here is where we are now... It seems the railway is the edge of the hardstanding or at least the used cleanish bit, the other side of the railway seems to be a muddy mire... 

Ralf

IMG_6827.JPG.23575c8a51e6ebe5e529fe1210aa3281.JPG

Current state of play... Derailed wagon likely to be the centre of attention...

IMG_6828.JPG.bb61be26999e0124f7d6f11f6243111e.JPG

The materials harmed / used today by very novice hand... 

IMG_6829.JPG.3edbb49452db07c801e00da738b1ede8.JPG

These guys seem to want to be the cast of the cameo admiring the derailed wagon... 

Edited by Ralf
Captions added to pics
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Not a lot of progress but have tidied the work bench and fitted all the etches to the loco which was a bit of a nightmare involving superglue and not enough test fitting / checking before gluing... 

IMG_6847.JPG.b7597cc2a5b3acba7d371ffd708f1db4.JPG

IMG_6849.JPG.cb9f9d81fdbd8d377764219026565b1c.JPG

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Well I've not been idle (nor have I been mega busy) but here's where things stand at the moment, loco mostly painted (now that was a learning curve!) needs glazing, driver, handrail and exhaust fitting.

Collection of sheds and chemical loo chosen and parointed (rather badly). 

Pallets and drums are 3D printed from ScaleModelScenery. Scrap rail is exactly that and the spare axles are exactly that! 

Back scene required, off to hunt my old photographs for something peat bog-esque... To process and print. Then somehow hide the joins between the workshop and the back scene... 

IMG_6877.JPG.e2fa66e61210a5ed4157398eefeeefc8.JPG

IMG_6878.JPG.527cf5340bd6aeadc62f23d38fa9f1d1.JPG

IMG_6879.JPG.e33a77f1b7a71bf76ce79f28eca6f4a3.JPG

IMG_6880.JPG.a7f150ef639bf13c2ce1dcb40e7bf8a2.JPG

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

More progress, most things glued down (incl the reeds, huts, scrap, barrels etc), loco has received a driver, windows and an exhaust (no hand rails yet).

Still to do: 

- The onlooking man needs more paint and glue - he's not keen on his blu-tak.

- The wagon needs more weathering / dirt it's a poxy paint job!

- Back scene glued in by wrapping it round so it's not tight / flat against the back scene baseboard. Need to trip the top or it won't go in the box! 

- My hardstanding doesn't match the back scene - hopefully a grey wash will help... 

- Add some dry brushing and some ivy to the building then I think we'll run out of time... 

IMG_6906.JPG.41c789324a89a02cbf86e3902863824f.JPG

IMG_6904.JPG.ebc7a6da234d5ea7aeadfc6d9793bde0.JPG

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, Kevin Johnson said:

Looking good Ralf.

Thanks Kevin, had submitted my rambling words and a final photographs to Phil for the competition. The loco never did get it's handrails!

Ralf