Clear Track?

I suppose this is a long shot.    I was thinking of modelling the Galaxy Express 999 from anime and manga.    The franchise portrays a train that travels through space.   This is said to be via an invisible 'space bridge' that retains atmosphere enough for an American-style rear observation platform.

At least one company (Micro-Ace, I believe) has a set for the train itself.   For the space-bridge, I was considering on how to make an 'invisible' track. 

Has anyone tried cutting grooves in  acrylic or plexi to a gauge?   That was my line of thinking, grooved plexi with metallic film linings.  Has this been done?

Edited by AlfaZagato

I once saw a video that might be what you're after, but naturally I can't find it now (it may have been German which doesn't help)

Anyway, it was of a ceiling suspended railway, HO I think, it used normal track on top of bookshelves etc, but where it crossed the middle of a room or was otherwise exposed it was 2 pieces of rail fixed to clear plastic to allow a completely uninterrupted view of the trains from below.

HTH

Why not make the train battery powered and radio controlled so there would be no need for a metal elliment to the track its self,  there's plenty of links to threads of people who have gone full battery and radio controlled on this forum.

As to the grove is there a way it could be routed into the clear sheet it might be possible that once one track is done a simple jig running in one grove guides the router while it cuts the second grove keeping the guage correct.

How this would work in practice is unknown as its only speculation but it might be worth exploring further.

• Like 1