Chatham (Roxey) LCDR 3 plank open wagon

CCGWR

G'day Everyone,

I am in the middle of building my first metal based kit, a Chatham Kits LCDR/SECR 3 plank open wagon. Just wondering about the paint job. It says in the instructions about the LDCR and SECR livery, as well as saying that they were last withdrawn in 1927. As I am modelling a Southern Railway era, I want to know if any were repainted into Southern Goods Brown in the 4 years between the Grouping and Withdrawal.

Regards Connor

I can't quote any reference to weather such a wagon would have been repainted by the SR.

Was the SECR wagon colour grey?

I guess as it was near the end of it's life,it was mouldering away at the back of some sidings and was very run down, the old paint would be flacking off, the iron work rusting away so it was not worth any new paint?

Just bare wood showing through tatty grey?

Is there a LCDR album of photo you can check through?

The only book I have is Southern Railway Rolling Stock by R. W. Kidner mostly pre-grouping coaches and some engineering stock, photos of tatty stuff in sidings.

• RMweb Premium

G. Bixley et al., An Illustrated History of Southern Wagons Vol. 3 (OPC, 2000) p. 21, caption to figure 3:

"Just nine became SR stock as diagram 1326 and the last was withdrawn in August 1927, still numbered as SECR 11521."

That seems to me to imply that they never got SR livery. I wouldn't be surprised if the SECR livery they carried was still the pre-1917 style of 7" lettering and number on the bottom plank.

The same caption continues:

"Sixteen more survived as ballast wagons [...] the last of these was withdrawn in November 1930."

The Southern Wagons volumes can usually be found second-hand for no more than the cost of a whitemetal wagon kit, so rapidly repay the investment!

Edited by Compound2632

13 hours ago, relaxinghobby said:

Was the SECR wagon colour grey?

Yes. The LCDR colour was a light grey. The SECR colour in the Wainwright period - with the small, company initials - was a darker grey, "officially lead colour". The wagon grey in the Maunsell period - with the larger, company initials - is said to be darker still, "more akin to the GWR". Colour descriptions copied from Bixley+.

Both photos in Bixley+ show Wainwright-period livery.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Guy Rixon said:

Yes. The LCDR colour was a light grey. The SECR colour in the Wainwright period - with the small, company initials - was a darker grey, "officially lead colour". The wagon grey in the Maunsell period - with the larger, company initials - is said to be darker still, "more akin to the GWR". Colour descriptions copied from Bixley+.

Both photos in Bixley+ show Wainwright-period livery.

Thanks Everyone, seems I will paint the wagon in SECR Grey then. So could I get away with a GWR Grey (I have plenty of that, albeit, acrylic) or a similar sort of Grey, i.e. Humbrol 67-Tank Grey.

Regards Connor

• Agree 1