Non-DCC fitted O Gauge Autocoach on DCC

layd999

It appears that Dapol designed their O Gauge light bars for the autocoach so that they work on DC systems if not DCC fitted, and DCC systems if so fitted.

Which is to say, if you try to run a non-DCC fitted autocoach on a DCC system the lights will seriously mess up your system.

But this is based on a statistically inadequate sample of one coach. 

What have others experienced?

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

My non DCC version of this coach doesn't have lights, so running it on my DCC equipped line doesn't present any problems.

My B set which is non DCC has lights and runs  on both my own and the club's DCC equipped  layout with out any problems.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

John,

I did query with DCC something or other, I forget the company name now, but they are the Dapol Service agents. They said retrofitting lightbars into an Autocoach is a simple task, they have them in stock if anyone wants to order (well they did back in November when I spoke to them).  They also stocked the DCC decoder that Dapol used if anyone wanted to do both.

Hope that helps some one?

Rich

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, pauliebanger said:

DCC Supplies are the appointed service agents for Dapol, so it's probably them.

Paul

Thanks Paul - thats the ones ... couldn't remember their name for the life of me!

• 2 weeks later...

I bought the DCC fitted with light bar version. Coach lights work fine (although operate under function 1 rather than 0) and according the pamphlet, there should be a cab light under function 9 but can't for the life of me find it. Also can't seem to change 'loco' address, it just stays on 3. Anyone had any luck?

1 hour ago, Dreadnought05 said:

... Also can't seem to change 'loco' address, it just stays on 3. Anyone had any luck?

Most (all?) DCC systems need a significant load - like a motor - available, in order to change the 'loco' address on progamme track. A small 12V motor temporarily hooked up to the decoder's motor output would do the job.

• Informative/Useful 1