Fish vans in General traffic early 60s

Evertrainz

Hi all

Since some of the diag 214/800 long wheelbase non-roller bearing fitted fish vans were returned to general traffic around the early 60s, would these have been used for insulated cargo? Or would they have been completely ‘generalized’ and been painted bauxite/freight red for normal traffic? I can’t find any pictures around 1960 through 1965 although I do see a Flickr shot of a diagram 801 in preservation painted bauxite lettered ‘NOT TO BE LOADED WITH FISH’ and the description mentions that it was a diagram 800 van built in 1951, whereas the wagon number is incorrect...... Going off that I assume the lettering would be made up as well.

The most realistic outcome I assume would be that the non-bearing fitted fish vans losing the “INSULFISH” and gaining an “INSULATED” marking, although I was wondering of there is anything the way of pictures or books to prove/disprove this.

Ron

Edited by Evertrainz

Have a look at 'BR Parcels and Passenger -Rated; Volume 2,

which has quite a lot on Ihe Insulfish. Quite a lot seemed to acquire a painted patch with 'Insulated Van; not to be used for fish traffic'. Others received a new TOPS Code, VXV, though not a repaint, for use on Periodical Distribution for BPCC from various locations on the WCML. I could find no reference to anything apart from patches.

• Informative/Useful 1

8 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

Have a look at 'BR Parcels and Passenger -Rated; Volume 2,

which has quite a lot on Ihe Insulfish. Quite a lot seemed to acquire a painted patch with 'Insulated Van; not to be used for fish traffic'. Others received a new TOPS Code, VXV, though not a repaint, for use on Periodical Distribution for BPCC from various locations on the WCML. I could find no reference to anything apart from patches.

Thanks for that, I assume the patch is in roughly the same spot as the "TO WORK BETWEEN EDINBURGH AND KINGS CROSS" on the Blue Spot vans. Oddly the BR diagram book shows the diagram 1/256 van layout featuring the door handles and strapping of the diagram 801 van, which is confusing yet.

Slightly on another tangent, I've been working on a 3D representation of the 801 (aswell as 800) and don't know if the 801s originally had a through steam heat pipe?

20 hours ago, russ p said:

Were these painted red?

20 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

They did, around Immingham and Frodingham, IIRC.

Have a look at Paul Bartlett's pages. I like the Indian REd/ Bauxite one with the Chevron markings. ISTR there was one entirely covered with chevrons.

Does that answer your question? Bear in mind that if you had a black crane, the rest of the train would probably be black as well and almost certainly black up to the late 1960s at least.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Poor Old Bruce said:

Does that answer your question? Bear in mind that if you had a black crane, the rest of the train would probably be black as well and almost certainly black up to the late 1960s at least.

Thanks for that, the red Norwich one is perfect for me