Class 30 sound

russ p

Howes.

Bryan based it on a slowed down class 60 Mirrlees engine and some archive footage. I was probably the one who prompted him to do this one from a throw-away comment I made at the time. I don't know whether he has upgraded this to suit LokSound V4 or 5 (mine is on a V3.5 decoder).

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, SRman said:

Howes.

Bryan based it on a slowed down class 60 Mirrlees engine and some archive footage. I was probably the one who prompted him to do this one from a throw-away comment I made at the time. I don't know whether he has upgraded this to suit LokSound V4 or 5 (mine is on a V3.5 decoder).

Thanks  but I can't imagine that the big straight 8 in a 60 would sound anything like the V12 in a 30 

Brief clips I've heard of them they sound like a31 but a  lot more bass

He tried to match the archival sounds from what was available. The archive material itself was not of suitable quality.

This is a video I took around 2008 on my old layout (now defunct). It will give you some idea of what it sounds like. Since none survived into preservation with their Mirrlees engines, there is no way of getting a 100% accurate sound project.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

That's a good quality sound installation  but it doesn't sound like a V12 to me , and the compressor running at the end of the clip isn't present on the real thing. 30/31 compressors are pretty quiet compared to other locos sounding a bit like southern EMU ones

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, Richard Croft said:

Would it be the same engine as the mirrlees 37? Legomanbiffo does a good Mirrlees 37 and could probably swap the horns etc to suit a 30

Richard

Hi Richard 

No the 37/9 engine is a 6cyl version of the 8cyl class 60 engine 

There is a brief clip of class 30 sound in a film on YouTube called a city and its railways about the modernisation of Sheffield's railways