Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Rivet Police Part 3 - An Offer I Cant Refuse

You might all be sniggering about all this, especially you committed finescale modellers, but have you considered all those people who have been charged with"historical crimes"? Are any of us safe? I have stuck my head above the parapet and come out of the closet as a railway modeller after a 20 year break and I am worried about the sins I committed against historical accuracy, scale and even country of origin! I felt so much weight come off my shoulders when Miss Riding Hood and I first got to know each other. We were sitting having a romantic bacon butty with a bunch of other motorcyclists near Ribble viaduct and she said: "I have a dirty little secret, I used to go to the Harry Potter conventions...." She gave me the Bambi eyes look that said "Please don't laugh at me and leave me stranded by the roadside".

I buckled, I could no longer hide behind the oil stained fingernails and swastikas on my leather jacket. "I like model trains!" I blurted. I expected her to reel back in horror, but she hugged me, "It's okay, I know Hogwarts Castle should have been painted green." So I have started building models again, just something simple we can hide in the privacy of our bedroom - consenting adults and all that.

BUT.

Might this new found joy be short lived if the wrong people find out that as a teenager I ran a Triang Dean single and a Hornby Brittania on the same track? Worse still, a Lima GMC diesel appeared at times, pulling 3 Triang clerestories, 2 Hornby Pullmans and 2 Airfix B sets? Have you ever seen Lord of the isles dragging a re wheeled Hasegawa WW2 German railway gun?

Damn me for using my real name on here. It's not Robert Wolf, it's Neil and I am from Basingstoke!

• Like 3
  • Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

7 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Damn me for using my real name on here. It's not Robert Wolf, it's Neil and I am from Basingstoke!

Neil? Basingstoke?  How do we know you are not Nell from Barnsley (AM)

• Funny 3

• Administrators

Readers of my blog will know that if this is true, I'm going to be shouting, "You won't take me alive copper!" later today.

http://philsworkbench.blogspot.com/2019/12/vote-turbocar.html

However, since they will be the finescale police, they will move incredibly slowly and fall off a lot.

• Like 1
  • Funny 7

2 hours ago, Ducking Giraffe said:

Dear Mr Wolf,

We could so badly do with your skills from Pulp Fiction to clean up the mess created in Part 4, and I mean it is serious mess. As it is, we only have either Baldrick from Blackadder or Michael Caine from the Italian Job. It’s a tough call as we shall see….

DG

I don't see that as a problem, more a task awaiting a solution. Anyone objecting to your storylines, or indeed my decision to mix dare I say it, finescale scenery with code 100 track (albeit with large radius points) so that I can run whatever old junk I choose may take up the matter with Miss R. Riding Hood in our complaints department. She bought me the track.

WP_20190724_19_43_57_Pro (5).jpg

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, ardbealach said:

Neil? Basingstoke?  How do we know you are not Nell from Barnsley (AM)

Barnsley? I've been there. Once. Even people from Barnsley won't tell you they're from Barnsley. I'd get rumbled straight away.

• Funny 1

1 hour ago, Phil Parker said:

Readers of my blog will know that if this is true, I'm going to be shouting, "You won't take me alive copper!" later today.

However, since they will be the finescale police, they will move incredibly slowly and fall off a lot.

I'm sure there are many RMwebbers who think an updated Turbocar would be something to pre-order, no matter what!

As for the finescale police, they would also pause at each curve to ensure that transition, radius and superelevation were correctly applied.  This would delay them further...

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

Superelevation on curves and the correct angle of ballast shoulder should also be checked as well as sleeper spacings before they proceed. You'll be rebuilding the wobbly sugar cane railways of Trinidad by the time they've got to your house. Probably using secondhand Hornby Dublo three rail....

Hope I didn't offend anyone who is actually from Barnsley. I'm from darkest Shropshire, so it's generally assumed that I can play the banjo with my feet...

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
On 21/12/2019 at 22:34, Ducking Giraffe said:

“A little birdie tells me you know about Eurostars."

"I might do…." I replied cautiously.

"Just speaking hypothetically, how would you take on a Turbo Car with a mk1 Eurostar?"

I sucked in my breath through my teeth. “It’s a big ask Grouty, the only thing I've ever seen take on a Turbo Car is a 1974   4-6-0 over-geared Albert Hall with Magnadhesion on steel track. Those built-in magnets stick it like glue to the track round the bends where the turbo car has to reduce speed. The Turbo’s great on straights but rubbish round curves.  It’s got a high centre of gravity due to the position of the fan motor.” 

I thought for a moment.

“Take one on with a  Eurostar? That’s tricky. Purely hypothetically of course, I'd drop the suspension by 3 mm to get ground effect downforce, I'll tape over the pantograph to reduce wind resistance, double motor it, and put in an overclocking circuit with two 12V Tesla Lithium-Cobalt  batteries. When that baby hits a scale 88 miles an hour that’ll  dump in an extra 24 volts and you’ll see some serious sh*t.”

Supposing the "Mk1" here is the prototype Eurostar not the models, I'm a bit anxious about part 4 because Grouty hasn't given any hint whether he's expecting a H0 or 00 Eurostar. Perhaps you have a free choice - good. Certainly the smaller wheels of the early Hornby/Joueff model will give you the initial acceleration, but the wheel bearings are going to fry during sustained high-speed operation. The 00 model surely gives you the upper hand because have room inside the unpowered power car for a full-size Dynadrive flywheel and, importantly, an uprated clutch. Run the set with the Dynadrive unit leading and the clutch disengaged; the default train dynamics will cope with starting and initial acceleration with propulsion from the uprated motor at the back of the set. Dump in the extra 24V, wait c.15 seconds for the Dynadrive get up to speed and dump the clutch. I'd advise against Magnadhesion here 'cos there may be track damage, but you will surely get your beer.

- Richard.

• Like 3

On 27/12/2019 at 04:32, Phil Parker said:

just like the Prototype, :)

Andy

• RMweb Premium

Is N gauge Eric and his mob working in league with the 0 Gauge Gang in suppressing anymore reports as to hide any investigations of their infidelity to finescale train sets?

Edited by Clive Mortimore