Issue with paint removal/paint stripping

I've been repainting a Class 90 and during the process, the paint application wasn't upto the standard I liked and I proceeded to strip the paint. When it comes to paint removal/stripping, I've used Dettol as a paint remover, something I've used successfully for over 8 years.

Recently however I used the same process and whilst the paint was removed, the primer hasn't come off. Infact now I think the Dettol has reached with the primer and basically made it into a thick layer. This has now covered up all the fine detail.

I was advised to use isopropyl alcohol and even saw a few videos on YouTube where it's been successfully used. However it's been soaking in the isopropyl alcohol for over 2 weeks now and absolutely nothing has happened.

Any idea what I can do next? Should I give the Dettol another try as it was softening the primer initially? Or should I give some other products a try?

Cheers...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

IPA is my normal choice - with patience and an old toothbrush.

Some Bachmann plastics do not react well to brake fluid.

DOT4 is good for Airfix Mk2's but will soften Bachmann Mk1s.

If in doubt- Phoenix Superstrip - although the OP may have trouble getting it shipped.

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium
On 22/12/2019 at 06:19, MGR Hooper! said:

However it's been soaking in the isopropyl alcohol for over 2 weeks now and absolutely nothing has happened.

I'm stripping a Heljan 47 in IPA at the moment. About 2/3 of it has wiped off easily but some has not shifted even a fraction after a few days.

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 22/12/2019 at 06:19, MGR Hooper! said:

I've been repainting a Class 90 and during the process, the paint application wasn't upto the standard I liked and I proceeded to strip the paint. When it comes to paint removal/stripping, I've used Dettol as a paint remover, something I've used successfully for over 8 years.

Recently however I used the same process and whilst the paint was removed, the primer hasn't come off. Infact now I think the Dettol has reached with the primer and basically made it into a thick layer. This has now covered up all the fine detail.

I was advised to use isopropyl alcohol and even saw a few videos on YouTube where it's been successfully used. However it's been soaking in the isopropyl alcohol for over 2 weeks now and absolutely nothing has happened.

Any idea what I can do next? Should I give the Dettol another try as it was softening the primer initially? Or should I give some other products a try?

Cheers...

I'd put it back in the dettol for a couple of hours at a time, then scrub it off with a dry toothbrush - dont wet the toothbrush or the shell.  I maybe teaching you to suck eggs though

I done this quite recently when it took an age to get the shell back to bare plastic and get rid of the gunk.

Is it the original brown Dettol you are using? 

Dettol as a paint stripper was discussed at length here a few months ago:

There were a number of reports of plastic being attacked and paint congealing into a near-impossible to remove mess. I'm a victim too unfortunately.

At the weekend, I successfully used IPA to strip a Bachmann tender. IPA is a major constituent of Phoenix Superstrip.

6 hours ago, MM1991 said:

I'd put it back in the dettol for a couple of hours at a time, then scrub it off with a dry toothbrush - dont wet the toothbrush or the shell.  I maybe teaching you to suck eggs though

I done this quite recently when it took an age to get the shell back to bare plastic and get rid of the gunk.

Is it the original brown Dettol you are using? 

Yes, the original brown one. That's the only thing that worked.

• RMweb Premium
On 24/12/2019 at 11:31, MGR Hooper! said:

Will do...

I'm assuming diluting it will help with the paint removal procedure or rather quicken it?

Personally, I have found that 99% works, but a slight dilution to about 92% makes it work better.

IPA isn't the fastest in tehe first place, but I've never had any reaction to model railway plastics.

As with any paint removal/decal removal etc, there are lots of personal preferences.

Experiment and use what works for you.

• Thanks 1

I have had varying success with paint stripping plastic models.  I stripped the paint a couple of Lima siphons using methylated spirits. All the paint in the most difficult corners washed off dead easily within 15 minutes, so I thought brilliant, I have found the answer.   Not to be, a month later I tried to strip a Lima class 33 again using meths, but it wouldn't touch it, not even after prolonged soaking.   Then I tried Dettol that sort of worked, but I had to leave it soaking overnight , and then I had to scrub it with a fairly stiff brush. It didn't all come off , but while the paint was still soft I washed it in meths again and most came off. 

I don't know why it works with some model and not others...

Rob.

• Informative/Useful 1

Well not sure if this changes anything or not, but just to be clear, the paint has come off. It's the primer that's being stubborn, it's also sort of "melted" and filled in all the small details on the locomotive.

It's ike I dipped the locomotive in thick paint and dried it quickly.

2 minutes ago, MGR Hooper! said:

Well not sure if this changes anything or not, but just to be clear, the paint has come off. It's the primer that's being stubborn, it's also sort of "melted" and filled in all the small details on the locomotive.

It's ike I dipped the locomotive in thick paint and dried it quickly.

Sounds to me like the plastic of the body has been attacked by the paint stripper - if so, the damage is terminal, I'm afraid.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I agree with John above.

Brake fluid followed by a warm soapy water bath and then a cold water rinse is always my choice.  Found it works better than IPA.

But don't do this on Bachmann plastics, and remove all steel ( handrails, buffers etc).  Brake fluid will rapidly rust up anything steel content.

• Informative/Useful 1

On 30/12/2019 at 15:08, cctransuk said:

Sounds to me like the plastic of the body has been attacked by the paint stripper - if so, the damage is terminal, I'm afraid.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

This is why I use Mr Muscle. Won't affect plastics.  In a previous thread on this topic, someone used it to strip a point without any damage to any part.

• Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, Carnforth said:

This is why I use Mr Muscle. Won't affect plastics.

Me too - though I do use methylated spirits for old Lima items; the paint just rinses off to leave a pristine moulding with meths.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Informative/Useful 2