HST 7mm

delticfan

Arun Sharma has been doing a very detailed CAD design of  the HST power car “snout” and has now revealed that his customer, PRMRP, will be incorporating it in their kit.  No timings have been announced.

story & pix on G0G forum & WT.

they do have a current kit, see here 

http://www.prmrp.com/diesel-kits.html

Atb

Simon

• Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Simond said:

Arun Sharma has been doing a very detailed CAD design of  the HST power car “snout” and has now revealed that his customer, PRMRP, will be incorporating it in their kit.  No timings have been announced.

Atb

Simon

Simon, have you got a link to the thread on WT? All very interesting.

Regards,

Al.

4 hours ago, Simond said:

Atb

Simon

Simon,

I have built several of those ex RJH  kits and the snout as you call it is the most difficult to form and get right so it will help immensely.

Alan

On 22/12/2019 at 07:21, delticfan said:

Just been on the last LNER HST run into Kings Cross yesterday, what a great day with massive interest. Even saw Ben Jones at Leeds!! So what about a 7mm version...Heljan or Dapol. Even power cars only would pretty good, but I’m sure coaches would sell too.

I'm not so sure they would sell very well.

My reasoning (right or wrong) is this:

O gauge modellers want something a little better looking than a basic OO starter set with a 2+2 HST running into a terminus station. 2+4 or 2+5 is therefore the minimum to make it look acceptable.

This would be quite large in 7mm. Layouts built as excuses to run light engines & short trains are more common in 7mm than 4mm because of the space required, but an HST would not fit on one of these.

I was at the recent MIOG exhibition & I think only 1 layout was large enough for an HST. 

37 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

I'm not so sure they would sell very well.

My reasoning (right or wrong) is this:

O gauge modellers want something a little better looking than a basic OO starter set with a 2+2 HST running into a terminus station. 2+4 or 2+5 is therefore the minimum to make it look acceptable.

This would be quite large in 7mm. Layouts built as excuses to run light engines & short trains are more common in 7mm than 4mm because of the space required, but an HST would not fit on one of these.

I was at the recent MIOG exhibition & I think only 1 layout was large enough for an HST. 

I sort of agree but a lot of people just put them on the shelf and run them when they can on a club layout maybe, so 2 power cars would look pretty cool. Let’s face it a power and a dummy same moulding and the numerous liveries I think it would sell. Saw Ben Jones at Leeds he might have been weighing things up.. How many folks run full length oo rakes not many I would say same problem space etc.. agree a damn sight more expensive. Look I have loads of Heljan stuff if they announced a two car set I would pay for it.

1 hour ago, delticfan said:

I sort of agree but a lot of people just put them on the shelf and run them when they can on a club layout maybe, so 2 power cars would look pretty cool. Let’s face it a power and a dummy same moulding and the numerous liveries I think it would sell. Saw Ben Jones at Leeds he might have been weighing things up.. How many folks run full length oo rakes not many I would say same problem space etc.. agree a damn sight more expensive. Look I have loads of Heljan stuff if they announced a two car set I would pay for it.

As you know, Dapol are bringing out their Mk 1s very soon, ninety four variants according to Roger at Tower Models. Most people will be running a rake of five+ coaches so i cant see why two power cars and four coaches are any different? There are a lot of i use the words "modern image" modellers now who mainly want ready to run.

The existing brass kits are very difficult to make, i know as i have built quite a few since they first came out in the early eighties.

Alan

• Like 1

2+4 is fine for a train set pack in OO, but I would expect a higher number of O gauge modellers to want something more realistic. It costs more & always will so surely the whole point of larger scales is to detail them better than you can manage with OO & make things look more accurate?

Mk1s are more versatile. It is no coincidence that Darstaed have a GUV, Post Office vehicle, Departmental support vehicle & suburbans in their range. These would not look out of place in very short rakes (2 for the suburbans, 1 for the others). These share some tooling with SK's/SO's etc & ran everywhere. HST & Mk3A routes were more limited.

HSTs ran 2+7 minimum. You could maybe get away with 2+4 but not really anything shorter* & how much would this cost anyway?

The only exceptions I can think of are faulty or withdrawn coaches dumped in a yard somewhere, or the NMT, but you would need modified power cars & coaches for latter.

I think an HST would be a great model. I just believe that it would be a risky model for the reasons above so I would not be surprised if a manufacturer did not make it.

*I have a 2+8 HST on my OO layout & that actually looks too long :biggrin_mini2:

18 hours ago, Captain Cuttle said:

Exactly! HSTs are running in four coach sets currently and if you are modelling the present era you wont be using Mk 1s!

I fully agree. The newly refurbished shortened GWR sets are the best looking ones I've ever seen, and make a shorter train.

To lend some balance however, when these kits were first introduced in 1985 the coaches were £37.50 each and the power cars were £45.00. The cost was a little higher by the time RJH purchased the range, but all they did was cast from submasters and squashed the bodies during forming - and raise the prices over by over 200% for the priviledge. Neither the power cars or the coaches [either as Mk.3 HST or Mk.3a Loco Hauled] sold then, and I'm sure they wouldn't sell now!  Whereas locos like the 47 sold well over 500 copies.

Mind you if there was a state of the art refurbished GWR one on the market now, I'd buy one like a shot, as I do now have the space.

David Parkins

Edited by djparkins
error
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I hate to admit it but unfortunately I dont think planning a kit for a HST set today is a good idea. People have become to used to buying out of the box and settling for what they get. The old story of space also seems to have gone I have seen many people buying rakes of 30 or more HAA wagons and running them on layouts now. 

With Dapols new Class 66 in the wings I'm sure it's only a matter of time before someone does such a 125 set be it a 4,5 or more set. I personally would by one just as a shelf queen it's such an important part of my railway history... 

Oh and today it would have to be in LNER or Scotrail livery ;)

Many people like the RTR idea and then modify to a specific model they want to enhance hence the bouyant after market in parts and transfers. There also seems to be a new raft of excellent modellers appearing,  who would relish a decent kit of the HST, go to one of the recent FB groups such as MIOG  or Buzz Models [I have no connection to these  groups] and see for yourself.

Yes i feel the loss of the full length HST  to Paddington although we still have the Cross Country sets here in the west country for how much longer though?

Alan

• Like 1

Who says you need a full length train to be realistic? Some years ago I had a small layout in OO, (actually built by someone else) that depicted a terminus station, but just the buffer stops end. It was just three straight tracks, but gave the idea of long trains.

The HST here was just a Lima power car & Hornby Mk3.

2069609025_SuttonRoad012(2).jpg.53a292e73bafb450e4c80ed23645a115.jpg

1730836300_SuttonRoad013.jpg.17712306292a68df1e63b037d32896d3.jpg

It was a great bit of fun to run. In fact as this thread has brought it back to mind, I'm thinking it could work just as well in O Scale :spiteful:

I think an R-T-R HST is quite likely to happen, partly cashing in on the "nostalgia" factor.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

Who says you need a full length train to be realistic? Some years ago I had a small layout in OO, (actually built by someone else) that depicted a terminus station, but just the buffer stops end. It was just three straight tracks, but gave the idea of long trains.

The HST here was just a Lima power car & Hornby Mk3.

2069609025_SuttonRoad012(2).jpg.53a292e73bafb450e4c80ed23645a115.jpg

1730836300_SuttonRoad013.jpg.17712306292a68df1e63b037d32896d3.jpg

It was a great bit of fun to run. In fact as this thread has brought it back to mind, I'm thinking it could work just as well in O Scale :spiteful:

I think an R-T-R HST is quite likely to happen, partly cashing in on the "nostalgia" factor.

That looks fab! I completely agree about not needing a full length train. 

I worked up an idea for a 2mmFS version of Exeter St David’s using the half station idea...must admit now my eyes and patience are worse it would be good to do in 7mm...failed HST in there too ;)

On 23/12/2019 at 11:52, Pete the Elaner said:

2+4 is fine for a train set pack in OO, but I would expect a higher number of O gauge modellers to want something more realistic. It costs more & always will so surely the whole point of larger scales is to detail them better than you can manage with OO & make things look more accurate?

Mk1s are more versatile. It is no coincidence that Darstaed have a GUV, Post Office vehicle, Departmental support vehicle & suburbans in their range. These would not look out of place in very short rakes (2 for the suburbans, 1 for the others). These share some tooling with SK's/SO's etc & ran everywhere. HST & Mk3A routes were more limited.

HSTs ran 2+7 minimum. You could maybe get away with 2+4 but not really anything shorter* & how much would this cost anyway?

The only exceptions I can think of are faulty or withdrawn coaches dumped in a yard somewhere, or the NMT, but you would need modified power cars & coaches for latter.

I think an HST would be a great model. I just believe that it would be a risky model for the reasons above so I would not be surprised if a manufacturer did not make it.

*I have a 2+8 HST on my OO layout & that actually looks too long :biggrin_mini2:

I worked a vtxc hst power car +tgs car +buffet car+ power car in passenger service...I dont know why but we where early in to every station on the way to Birmingham !

Grand central use to run 2+5

East mids run 2+6 short sets using ex GC sets. Single power cars run depot to depot occasionaly, back to back power cars common.....gwr have used to rescue night rivera on more than one occasion  

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Heljan have worked through nearly every other production series BR diesel loco. A HST set in 7mm scale will come at some point, not necessarily from them.

Hattons are selling the A3 & A4, with Gresley coaches a similar length to a 2+4 shortie HST set. 

Dava

• Like 1