60s Industrial Steam (i.e. non-BR)

16 minutes ago, russ p said:

Thanks for posting that Trevor,  I'd heard of the viaduct but never seen it . When was closed and demolished? 

I've read somewhere that the line closed in April 1973 but I don't know when the viaduct disappeared.

Trevor

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Trev52A said:

I've read somewhere that the line closed in April 1973 but I don't know when the viaduct disappeared.

Trevor

Oh I didn't realise it lasted that long, was that connected to the team valley system?  Not sure when that finished either or where it connected to BR

18 minutes ago, russ p said:

Oh I didn't realise it lasted that long, was that connected to the team valley system?  Not sure when that finished either or where it connected to BR

The NCB line was still physically connected (I think) but the connection had not been used for several years by the time I started taking pictures. I'll check with various book I have to confirm this. I do have a shot from 1965-ish of a loco on the TVTE system which I'll dig out in due course.

Trevor

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Didn't realise there was another rope worked line at tyne.

An I right in thinking the one that went under the old reception sidings was the bowes railway 

Edited by russ p
Double post

• RMweb Premium

As Dave said, the quality of the photographs is quite outstanding. The composition of each one is sympathetic to the subject. No comparison to my own smudgie Brownie shots of the same period!

David

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, russ p said:

Didn't realise there was another rope worked line at tyne.

An I right in thinking the one that went under the old reception sidings was the bowes railway 

Hi Russ

Yes, the Bowes Railway line passed under Tyne Yard (is that what you mean?).

My pics are of what was latterly the 'Pelaw Main Railway' (A separate line for most of its life). In the 1950s a link had been built connecting the two and stock could move freely between the two systems (hence the 'Bowes Railway' wagons in some of these views.) The link meant that the lower end of the Pelaw Main (down to the Tyne) could then be closed, and traffic could use the Bowes outlet, (That is a simplified explanation!)

Trevor

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, DLT said:

What wonderful photos Trev, please keep them coming! 

Judging by the quality of the images, you must have used a pretty decent camera.

Many thanks, Dave.

Thanks you for the kind comments, Dave (DLT) (and David Long).

The 1968 shots were taken on a second-hand Kodak Retinette 35mm camera which I had been using to catch the end of BR steam in 1967/68.

Since this had been bashed by taking a tumble onto the concrete floor of Lostock Hall shed in August 1968 (but still worked, amazingly!) I bought a new Zorki 4 35mm rangefinder camera in 1969. I was developing and printing my own pictures by then. I find It is now far easier to produce a good picture digitally once the negs have been scanned than by the darkroom process alone. It's like magic in comparison!

Cheers

Trevor

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Trev52A said:

Since this had been bashed by taking a tumble onto the concrete floor of Lostock Hall shed in August 1968 (but still worked, amazingly!)

They were made of tougher stuff back then!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, DavidLong said:

As Dave said, the quality of the photographs is quite outstanding. The composition of each one is sympathetic to the subject. No comparison to my own smudgie Brownie shots of the same period!

David

Totally agree, well done Trevor.  Nice to see a photographer who concentrated on more than just the locomotive; you can learn a lot about a whole system of working from these photos.  If I didn't know otherwise I would have credited these shots to Colin Gifford (the third in your last post in particular).

Edited by Northmoor
Extra text
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

Another big thumbs up from me for posting these photographs here, superb images, very evocative and atmospheric. 

Really appreciated, and inspirational for those of us seeking to conjure up something of the industrial railways of yesteryear in model form.

cheers,

Keith

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Three more from 1968 which include Jimmy McIvor.

Looking back it's amazing how these working men tolerated enthusiasts just turning up and (in some cases) wandering around their place of work! Thank you Jimmy and others.

343018225_(096a)NCBNo81AllerdeneColliery(TrevorErmel).jpg.bec21467e590b306a50549d26128ab77.jpg

No 81 gets another shovelful of coal as it waits near the shed

595435663_(209bS)NCBJimmyMcIvoronNo81prob.1968(TErmel).jpg.7d061020dfff1bc4f5c7394702279419.jpg

Taking a breather on top of No 81

314800050_(213dS)NCBRavensworthCollyc.1968(TErmel).jpg.42db8f655d1c7490100b89c8ec31a5df.jpg

A general view of Ravensworth Park Drift Mine (from the cab of No 81) as Jimmy heads towards another rake of wagons to deal with

Trevor

Edited by Trev52A
typo
  • Like 16

The quality and composition of your photos always amazes me. Quite superb.

Like yourself, when BR steam ended in Sept 1967 in the North East, I took to photographing NCB locos at the local collieries.

I took these on a wintry December day in 1967 at Bates Colliery, Blyth.  By this time I'd progressed from a Brownie 127 to a Kodak Colorsnap 35mm camera.

NCB Bates Colliery, Blyth.jpg

NCB Bates Colliery, Blyth (2).jpg

Bates pit December 1967.jpg

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1