60s Industrial Steam (i.e. non-BR)

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

I was brought up with a view of the Llanelly and Mynydd Mawr line, which served Cynheidre colliery; my recollection is that there were three daily workings Monday- Friday, a couple on Saturdays, and very occasionally, a Sunday working. Trains would be a mixture of 16 tonners, 21t minerals and 21t hoppers; about 20-25 wagons, equivalent to 30 16 tonners. The limiting factor was the braking power of the loco. The descent from the pit to the main line was pretty steep, and most brakes were pinned down, though this wasn't always sufficient.

Again thank you for the information, you must have enjoyed a grandstand view, can you tell me if this was a 24 hour operation or was there no working during the night ?

Dennis

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, D.Platt said:

Again thank you for the information, you must have enjoyed a grandstand view, can you tell me if this was a 24 hour operation or was there no working during the night ?

Dennis

Very unlikely, Cynheidre was a modern pit but even if it had 24hr working (no idea) the extra costs of night shift working the trains wouldn't have been worthwhile.  It's not like it was being delivered to the end user on a Just-in-Time basis (even MGR isn't JiT, it just feeds the stockpile).  The sets of loaded wagons were probably only being marshalled at Llandeilo Junction, so would have sat there for 12-24 hours anyway, or were possibly supplying Carmarthen Bay Power Station, when that was still open.  Here they would again have sat around for some time until being unloaded.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

This is the perfect thing to show to someone who has "modified" their Hornby Caley Pug into something even more freelance and isn't satisfied with it.  Never mind, the prototype could look even more wrong.  Actually I think this loco still survives today.

23 hours ago, Northmoor said:

This is the perfect thing to show to someone who has "modified" their Hornby Caley Pug into something even more freelance and isn't satisfied with it.  Never mind, the prototype could look even more wrong.  Actually I think this loco still survives today.

Well it certainly is pugly.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
On 15/02/2021 at 19:05, montyburns56 said:

I only realised after posting some of these in the 70s thread that these dock cranes are the same ones as the type that was preserved at Dinting.

JMB T90 27 Sunderland Doxford's Shipyard Loco shed and 0-4-0CT's 17041969

Millfield at Pallion Shipyard_MSS0175_210667

068 Roker Doxfords Shipyard Sunderland  (Jonathan Marsh)  068

JMB T59 43 Sunderland Doxford's Shipyard 0-4-0CT Roker RSH No.7006 of 1940 at shed 24041968

JMB T90 28 Sunderland Doxford's Shipyard Loco shed and 0-4-0CT's 17041969 SOUTHWICK Doxfords Shipyard Sunderland 24.5.67

JMB T54 33 Sunderland Doxford's Shipyard 0-4-0CT Pallion at No.1 Berth 16031968

JMB T54 32 Sunderland Doxfords Ship yard 0-4-0CT 16031968

The Queen Alexandra Bridge gets in on the action,  the North easts other two level road and rail bridge but sadly and somewhat strangely rail traffic ceased over this one in the 1920s but the bridge was still a BRB liability until comparatively recently I believe 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

Eccles 1969 

39 NCB Eccles 8.5.69

44 NCB Eccles 8.5.69

Does anyone know where this level crossing was?

Having consulted my copy of Backworth by Elliot & Charlton and looking at the other photos in the Flickr group I would say that it is the crossing of the B1322 south of Backworth Village. 

P.37 has 3 views looking back from the other side of the crossing and you can see the immeadiate fan out of sidings and the loco servicing equipment.

Regards,

Ian.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, 03060 said:

Having consulted my copy of Backworth by Elliot & Charlton and looking at the other photos in the Flickr group I would say that it is the crossing of the B1322 south of Backworth Village. 

P.37 has 3 views looking back from the other side of the crossing and you can see the immeadiate fan out of sidings and the loco servicing equipment.

Regards,

Ian.

Right thanks, although I asked because I thought it might have been Eccles in Manchester. Doh!

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

Right thanks, although I asked because I thought it might have been Eccles in Manchester. Doh!

If it makes you feel better whilst I knew the locos were from the Backworth system I also didn't know what the Eccles monicur referred to and so out of curiosity googled it .... google also came up with the Manchester link, tried again and got Eccles near the border with Scotland ! 

Luckily my Backworth book was literally within arms reach in which I found the photos. Still not understanding the Eccles connection I had to have another look, it seems to be the name of the individual pit name, there is also a Maude pit in close proximity.

My interest in the area comes from relatives who live in Holywell near Seaton Deleval and I used to walk the dogs along the old pit lines when I visited during the 80's without understanding their significance. The book is very good if you haven't seen it.

Regards,

Ian.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1