60s Industrial Steam (i.e. non-BR)

• RMweb Premium

A little more info regarding the Eccles pit name, from Backworth by Elliot & Charlton :-

"Between 1905 and 1906 a new pit was sunk on the original Backworth site about 200 yds north of 'Maude' pit. This was the 'Eccles' named after a company director Richard Eccles, and was 1,440 ft deep making it the deepest pit in the Northumberland Coalfield. Coal production began here in 1907. The pit was not connected to the Maude as it was separated by a major fault and the two pits produced coal separately until closure."

• Informative/Useful 1

On these MSC films I've acquired there are some other locations too, a bit of main line and some north-west collieries.

I was particularly taken by 'Jinty' 47656 named 'Duchess of Patricroft' working at some colliery sidings, not sure if it was in BR or NCB ownership.

There's also some colour film of an NSR 0-6-2T at work in a colliery. Neither of them quite as psychadelic as that Austerity!

• Like 1

On 19/02/2021 at 20:15, Northmoor said:

This is the perfect thing to show to someone who has "modified" their Hornby Caley Pug into something even more freelance and isn't satisfied with it.  Never mind, the prototype could look even more wrong.  Actually I think this loco still survives today.

Yes the Lewin has survived and is based at Beamish.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 24/02/2021 at 19:34, montyburns56 said:

It seems that LSD even got to the remote parts of Wales in the 60s.

Certainly in the 1970s!

"In 1977 the village was the scene of one of the world's biggest ever raids involving the drug LSD. Over 6 million tabs of the drug were seized as part of Operation Julie on 26 March of that year."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Llanddewi_Brefi

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

Does anyone know exactly what this is as it kind of looks a bit American influenced.

NCB Ashington 1969

40 NCB Ashington 7.5.69

It's Robert Stephenson & Hawthorns 7765, since preserved.

https://preservedbritishsteamlocomotives.com/robert-stephenson-hawthorn-works-no-7765-no-40-0-6-0t/

• Thanks 1

On 02/03/2021 at 19:09, montyburns56 said:

Does anyone know exactly what this is as it kind of looks a bit American influenced.

NCB Ashington 1969

40 NCB Ashington 7.5.69

One of a pair built for the passenger services, the other was 39 RSH 7764/54. Here seen shunting the Area Workshops which was part of the duties of the No 1 pit loco.

Trev.

• Thanks 1

On 04/03/2021 at 18:22, montyburns56 said:

Yeah, it seem that you are right as I found this pic on Flickr at Coed Ely.

Coed Ely Tonyrefail South Wales 1967 by John Wiltshire

I like the fact it's been for a repaint into wasp stripes at either end but the rest of the loco seems untouched.

• Like 1