60s Industrial Steam (i.e. non-BR)

• RMweb Gold

What's that smell? 

It's likely NELLIE, Hudswell Clarke works number 1435 of 1922 at work in Esholt Sewage Works circa 1968. Was the brown livery incidental or an in-joke I wonder?

Now preserved at Bradford Industrial Museum.

1377355537_HC14351922NELLIEEsholtSewageWorkscirca1968.jpg.eb45e90eb5cd89e60c6b81b30847088b.jpg

Edited by Corbs
  • Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Great photo @Corbs 'Nellie' was at Bradford Industrial Museum which lies between the romantically named areas of Idle and Fagley ! It's her sewage works sister 'Elizabeth' that is now down at Armley Mills.

I still hold out hope that I will get around to building a small 7mm layout with the title of the 'Sewage Works Shunt' sometime, I already have the loco kit, a few suitable wagons, track and potential boards. My house overlooks the area which is quite a haven for wildlife, at least the 'local aroma' has improved since the new settlement tanks replaced the majority of the open beds.

Regards,

Ian.

• Like 3

On 24/02/2021 at 19:34, montyburns56 said:

It seems that LSD even got to the remote parts of Wales in the 60s.

Coed Ely Coke works 1967

Onllwyn Loco Shed

William Bagnall 2744 / 1944 at Coed Ely colliery / coke works located twixt Llantrisant and Tonyrefail in the Ely Valley.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, 03060 said:

Great photo @Corbs 'Nellie' was at Bradford Industrial Museum which lies between the romantically named areas of Idle and Fagley ! It's her sewage works sister 'Elizabeth' that is now down at Armley Mills.

I still hold out hope that I will get around to building a small 7mm layout with the title of the 'Sewage Works Shunt' sometime, I already have the loco kit, a few suitable wagons, track and potential boards. My house overlooks the area which is quite a haven for wildlife, at least the 'local aroma' has improved since the new settlement tanks replaced the majority of the open beds.

Regards,

Ian.

Will you be able to have the full 4D exhibition experience by having some mysterious items under the layout?

• Funny 2

Laid up with a touch of gout, I've been sorting a vary random mixed Tesco bag of pics that range from gardens to switchboards and UK to Japan. However, Here's a few from Cornwall, Falmouth Docks, mostly an Open Day in July 1964 and a visit in 1965 to Par Docks.  The last one is probably a couple of years later.

495736748_FDEng5S.jpg.2a0eb37c2131c3076552acedbf191603.jpg

#3 Hawthorn Leslie 1926.  This is a later pic as I chanced upon it simmering outside the back of the shed, probably 1972.

That's a big brass plate on the side of the tank, the advantage of having 'in house' pattern making and casting facilities!

687954417_FDEng1S.jpg.d748b8495bd1f483868610ec0a67c768.jpg

#6 Peckett 1530,  1919 with dumb buffered wagons, and enthusiasts holding on like leaches!

1859551149_FDEng3S.jpg.cd4bc06c578bd8c8a73710cb271bd7cf.jpg

#6 again. Alongside a dry dock that is now part of the luxury yacht company's operation.

1644513436_FDEng2S.jpg.8fa2c548e0a7f4c7b2a2017e35ba611c.jpg

#4  Hawthorn Leslie, 3670, 1927. These locos were not in steam, but were 'polished' for the occasion

1542040504_FDEng4S.jpg.186d9e45a592995a1dea92e927d99b4d.jpg

#5 Peckett 1530   1929

These came from a trip to Par Docks

1960607264_ParDks3S.jpg.8d007b1d287a5ebd1b96dba5f0910f42.jpg

'Judy' on a lunch break. I spent the morning riding with the crew, one of the best mornings ever, and all for the price of 20 'Senior Service'.    Bagnall 2572 1937

1243264477_ParDks2S.jpg.d16edb90d12abb944bc146ec14337e0e.jpg

Back at work; there's little/no visible ballast, the track is probably glued down with decades of sticky clay dust

1298862552_pardks1S.jpg.4e4537c8cc986ed2c21ffc4f232bec8d.jpg

This is a scan of about a third of a so-so print so lacking in detail. These locos were kept in immaculate condition with the wooden cab detail varnished and fit for a yacht. Wagon load heights /shape and sheeting vary considerably

cheers

Steve W.

Edited by steve W
spelling/corrction
  • Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

Courtaulds Grimsby 1966 by Gordon Edgar

Courtaulds Grimsby

I didn't realise those tanks were that old. Hasn't some company just announced caustic tanks in oo

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, russ p said:

I didn't realise those tanks were that old. Hasn't some company just announced caustic tanks in oo

RevolutioN ?

David

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, BernardTPM said:

The RevolutioN ones have later suspension but are otherwise similar. That modern 'monobloc' pattern with 15ft. w.b. date from around 1964 on for both oil and chemical traffic.

We're the early ones Vac braked?

• Agree 1

35 minutes ago, russ p said:

We're the early ones Vac braked?

All those in the photo would have been. BR went from accepting unfitted wagons upto c1960 (Berry Wiggins added a few to their fleet then, with roller bearings) to requiring Vac brake only to change to Air brake in c 1966 (I've got the letter in my heap somewhere) although a few VB wagons were permitted to be built years later when a fleet was otherwise all VB - the ICI Ammonia fleet being the final one boosted by VB new builds https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/iciammonia/e22cbd5df

Paul

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, hmrspaul said:

All those in the photo would have been. BR went from accepting unfitted wagons upto c1960 (Berry Wiggins added a few to their fleet then, with roller bearings) to requiring Vac brake only to change to Air brake in c 1966 (I've got the letter in my heap somewhere) although a few VB wagons were permitted to be built years later when a fleet was otherwise all VB - the ICI Ammonia fleet being the final one boosted by VB new builds https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/iciammonia/e22cbd5df

Paul

Thanks Paul 

I didn't realise some ammonia tanks were built that late, I actually used to work with them. Nor did I realise some were leaf spring suspension I don't recall seeing those in their latter days at Haverton Hill but1 then it must be over 35 years since they stopped using them

Russ

On 11/07/2021 at 05:34, 03060 said:

Regards,

Ian.

I included a suitable picture in my Gallery of modelling reference/inspiration, in the hope that it would encourage someone to try this idea!  

Esholt Sewage Works. Train by sewage river. 17.5.69

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Stephenwolsten said:

I included a suitable picture in my Gallery of modelling reference/inspiration, in the hope that it would encourage someone to try this idea!  

Esholt Sewage Works. Train by sewage river. 17.5.69

Nice picture, shame about the livery of the loco, even though it appears well wiped!   :D

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, steve W said:

Nice picture, shame about the livery of the loco, even though it appears well wiped!   :D

Was the Esholt railway purely for internal use, or did it exchange any sort of traffic with BR?

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Andy Kirkham said:

Was the Esholt railway purely for internal use, or did it exchange any sort of traffic with BR?

It was connected with an interchange siding(s) just before Thackley tunnel on the Leeds to Shipley line as it crosses the Leeds Liverpool canal. I'm not certain as to what was exchanged, presumably coal in and I believe at one time that the waste soil or cake (kak as we knew it) was at one time used as a fertilizer.

There was a great article about the site in a very early Bylines edition.

I was once lent a superb reference book on the works by a an old chap (Mr. James Scott) who used to farm the area, I often wonder what happened to it after he passed on.

Regards,

Ian.

• Informative/Useful 1

19 minutes ago, Andy Kirkham said:

The wagon in the photo appears to be a BR one, so I'd guess they did exchange traffic. What it might be, I couldn't say. Something to 'sweeten' the water from the outfall, perhaps?

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, sir douglas said:

good thing we dont have smell-o-vision

Not sure it was so bad. In the late 80s I marshalled on at least one major car rally that used the works as a special stage. Expecting the worst we were presently surprised by the lack of pong. According to the guy from Yorkshire Water after the water had passed the final filter it was fit to drink.

• Like 2

Just now, doilum said:

Not sure it was so bad. In the late 80s I marshalled on at least one major car rally that used the works as a special stage. Expecting the worst we were presently surprised by the lack of pong. According to the guy from Yorkshire Water after the water had passed the final filter it was fit to drink.

Was this one of the Yorkshire plants that recovered lanolin from the settling tanks for use in cosmetics?

• Agree 1