60s Industrial Steam (i.e. non-BR)

• RMweb Gold

That's a Garratt, this is a Garrett. ;)

garrett_no1186.jpg

You might be interested to know the LMS operated a fleet of 2-6-0+0-6-2 Garratts and the LNER had a 2-8-0+0-8-2 banker.

William Francis (the industrial 0-4-0+0-4-0) is preserved at Bressingham.

https://preservedbritishsteamlocomotives.com/beyer-peacock-company-works-no-6841-william-francis-0-4-00-4-0t/

Edited by Corbs
  • Like 5
  • Agree 3

William Francis was the last of 4 near identical Std gauge garratts built by BP. The first was for Vivian and Sons of Swansea, the other two went to Sneyd Colliery in Burselm, Staffs and  (I believe, but will have to check) Allied Steel and Wire in Cardiff. The 4th, which has detail differences, is the sole survivor, William Franciss, formerly of Baddesley Coliery in Warcks. It is now preserved at Bressingham. Models of these locos can be built from etched kits from Backwoods Miniatures  (4mm scale ) and Mercian Models (7mm scale). I've a thread detailing my build of the Sneyd Colliery and William Francis locos which can be found here.

As an aside, that top photo shows the Baddesley loco crossing the A5 - no crossing gates, just a man with a flag. Try doing that today!

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Mol_PMB said:

Slightly tangential I confess, but doesn’t everyone like chocolate? Here’s a tanktainer of chocolate being loaded onto an early Freightliner train. 

8AE7F080-2E77-4407-8269-60F795A2994A.png.372c57d04accd4a80bdfe45e119081a8.png

Not Cadbury though. 

...sometimes the "like" button is just not enough!

Kev.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...