60s Industrial Steam (i.e. non-BR)

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

Apparently it's a Fowler like these...

Silvertown Shunter

Is the similar fowler at Heck the last in industrial service? 

It seems to have been relegated to a secondary role by a sentinel but both are in fantastic external condition 

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Mol_PMB said:

Wonderful! The Peckett was formerly at the CWS HIgher Irlam Margarine Works, a stone's throw from my 'Boysnope Bump'...

Considering a model of it.

I wasn't even aware of it until now, but I've just found it's location on a map as as well as this picture on Flickr

27th June 2020.  Morning Constitutional. CWS Margarine Works Tank No. 34 at Irlam Station, Irlam, Salford, Greater Manchester

Is it definitely the same Peckett though as the caption on this picture says that this one and it's sister loco came from Irlam CWS and was at Dunlop from 1967-71.

Fort Dunlop

• Like 9

37 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

I wasn't even aware of it until now, but I've just found it's location on a map as as well as this picture on Flickr

27th June 2020.  Morning Constitutional. CWS Margarine Works Tank No. 34 at Irlam Station, Irlam, Salford, Greater Manchester

Is it definitely the same Peckett though as the caption on this picture says that this one and it's sister loco came from Irlam CWS and was at Dunlop from 1967-71.

Fort Dunlop

Dunlop No.7 was a W7 and, IIRC, came from CWS Irlam soap works rather than the Margarine works. 

Ray.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

My understanding of the CWS locos which worked at Irlam is as follows:

CWS Soap and Candle Works (just below Irlam Locks):

(1) Yorkshire 0-4-0ST No. 280/1878. Purchased second-hand 1894, scrapped 1914.

2 'Irlam' Peckett 'W4' 0-4-0ST No. 979/1904. Supplied new, scrapped 1952.

3 Peckett 'W4' 0-4-0ST No. 985/1905. Supplied new, scrapped 1956.

4 Peckett 'W5' 0-4-0ST No. 1192/1910. Supplied new, scrapped 1954.

5 Peckett 'W5' 0-4-0ST No. 1417/1916. Supplied new, scrapped 1951.

6 Peckett 'W7' 0-4-0ST No. 2130/1951. Supplied new, sold to Dunlop 1966.

7 Peckett 'W7' 0-4-0ST No. 2131/1951. Supplied new, sold to Dunlop 1967.

8 Peckett 0-4-0 Fireless No. 2155/1955. Supplied new, plinthed in Irlam.

Locos at the Soap and Candle Works were painted olive green, lined in yellow/black/yellow.

CWS Margarine Works (about a mile upstream):

Peckett 'W5' 0-4-0ST No. 1530/1919. Supplied new, sold to Falmouth in 1961.

Hudswell Clarke 0-4-0ST No. 1632/1929. Supplied new, sold to Falmouth in 1961.

Motor Rail 'Simplex' No. 9020/1952. Transferred from CWS Salford in 1967. Scrapped 1973.

Locos at the Margarine Works were painted light green with black edging lined in red (and initially operated at Falmouth in that livery as shown in the photos above).

The train now displayed outside Irlam station is a valiant attempt at modelling in 305mm:ft scale. They've really put some effort into it, but the loco and wagons are not actually those which originally worked at Irlam. There is a Peckett 'W7' (correct for the Soap and Candle works, but not from there), a GWR 5-plank open in MSC livery (the MSC did actually have some of this diagram of GWR wagon), a tank wagon in CWS Margarine livery (this is a genuine livery, but the tank wagon was not one of theirs) and finally a steelworks slag ladle which I don't think came from a Irlam steelworks but is of a very similar type to the ones used at Irlam.

The Margarine Works was really very close to my 'Boysnope Bump'. Maybe 10' away in 7mm scale?

In my mid-1960s period it had very little rail traffic and no locos, but I can bend the timescales a little...

Here it is in 1929:

https://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/en/image/EPW031040

(Note: if you create a free account and log in you can zoom right in to see the details)

You can see the Peckett blowing off outside the shed, and a rake of 'Margarine' tankers (these actually carried lard, whale oil, vegetable oil etc which were ingredients of the margarine and were shipped into Manchester then railed to Irlam along the MSC Railway), also many other wagons.

This view from the other direction shows some shunting in progress:

https://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/en/image/EPW031038

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1