Denbeath/Methil/Wellesley 

Wellesley Colliery

Denbeath Washery Methil Exchange Sidings

NCB Wellesley Washery

Wemyss Private Railway No.20

Methil Sidings  WPR

Methil  WPR

WPR 18_4-8-65di

Love these pictures of the WPR. Especially No 20, I spent many a happy hour or two rattling up and down Springfield Yard in Falkirk in this in the mid/late seventies.

Cheers

David

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I have just enjoyed catching up on this thread, wonderful photos of a bygone era.

I have on my layout some exchange sidings ,six in total and trip loads into it from a fiddle yard ,then out onto my main line .

Could anybody give me any idea of the number of 16T wagons an average size pit would send out in a 24 hour period ? Also would there be a period during the shifts when no trips were made to the exchange sidings ?

Thanks for any clues.    

Dennis

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It depends on the output from the pit obviously but very few model railways have enough capacity to reach the daily production of anything but a very small one. Many pits only worked the traffic on one shift - usually the morning - and it wouldn't necessarily be the same every day.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, D.Platt said:

I have just enjoyed catching up on this thread, wonderful photos of a bygone era.

I have on my layout some exchange sidings ,six in total and trip loads into it from a fiddle yard ,then out onto my main line .

Could anybody give me any idea of the number of 16T wagons an average size pit would send out in a 24 hour period ? Also would there be a period during the shifts when no trips were made to the exchange sidings ?

Thanks for any clues.    

Dennis

Our pit (Horden) never used 16T.. they used rakes of 21T hoppers. I think they were up to 25 of them with a Q6 making a lot of noise dragging them out of the colliery yard towards Hartlepool. Apart from the two week summer holidays the trains in and out were constant - one way of finding out how many trains you need look at the weight of coal sent out  per year.. then take off 2 weeks for the holidays .. divide by 48. It won't be exactly correct as the collieries also supplied "home" coal and, in Horden's case, on site coking coal for use in a coking plant.

Baz

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

I was brought up with a view of the Llanelly and Mynydd Mawr line, which served Cynheidre colliery; my recollection is that there were three daily workings Monday- Friday, a couple on Saturdays, and very occasionally, a Sunday working. Trains would be a mixture of 16 tonners, 21t minerals and 21t hoppers; about 20-25 wagons, equivalent to 30 16 tonners. The limiting factor was the braking power of the loco. The descent from the pit to the main line was pretty steep, and most brakes were pinned down, though this wasn't always sufficient.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Baz,

So Holden produced about 500 tons a day ? did the Q6 bring in the empty’s and take out it’s train load ? Is there any source of information regarding different pit outputs.

Dennis