The lost days of Ironstone

PAT JAYA 185

So Having decided I would enter the 4th round of the cake box challenge after taking part in round 1. I went in search of an industrial subject to model. A few ideas were considered, but one was just undeniable the most intriguing. Having read about the Northamptonshire ironstone industry earlier in the year, I had thought about the idea of a meter gauge railway representing of this kind of industrial railway. After considering the possibilities of building such a diorama, I quickly identified that scratch building locomotive needed to happen so got right to it. 

I love the larger Pecketts used on the Wellingborough network. So I started by drawing a scale drawing of the type of locomotive used. 

11B6088B-BA73-480B-9F35-1F0723C4399F.jpeg

Edited by PAT JAYA 185
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

So the track was second on the list of issues, and I decided that using 12mm/ H0m track would be easiest as the true gauge of meter gauge in 4mm should be 13mm track gauge, but as I had the 12mm track already it seemed like the best option. As a 009 modeller I am representing 2ft with 9mm track (which in reality should be 8mm), so I figured it wouldn’t be a problem using 12mm track for meter gauge. Anyway if I wanted to develop this diorama into a layout in the future building 13mm points was going to be a head ache I would rather avoid. This is the test track I put together in 13mm..... 

7A423F85-91B9-4686-912B-D878EF890743.jpeg

After digging out these old suitable-ish wheels I made a start on the chassis. Made from styrene its not going to make an amazing runner and at this stage it is mainly for diorama. I will be rebuilding the chassis, and wire it for RC in the new year, but for now I probably won’t Be fiddling about with batteries and receivers. I have an old Airfix austerity kit that I’m going to chop up for this build. 

591CD912-FB49-419C-98A5-A3128FC86821.jpeg

58F0C45B-80FD-43D2-9DBA-889EEBDE6402.jpeg

The best bit when starting with a donor kit is that you have all the components to make up a locomotive, but the down side to starting with a plastic kit is that the components aren’t necessarily the quality required for a motorised unit, but in this case I have used the valve gears from an old Airfix pug kit, as They were the only correct scale valve gears I had for a locomotive this size. I must say at this stage it runs beautifully as a rolling chassis, and might take a motor. I have fitted a driving gear to the rear axel so I can experiment once the locomotives is finished. Obviously with a Radio control unit you don’t need pick ups as the loco will have a battery onboard. The planned location for this will be in the saddle tank with the receiver, and the motor in the firebox. It’s a fairly basic principle, I just hope it works. For now I’m going to focus on the challenge.... 

ED4E79FB-D32C-4FD1-B6C5-4A6CA4F78055.jpeg

Edited by PAT JAYA 185

This was the first time I’ve had to make connecting rods as well, and it seems to have worked out perfectly. The odd wheel base is very apparent on the Pecketts so I wanted to keep that in the design. I’m pleased with how the spacing turned out, and progress with the chassis has been a success so far

• Like 1

This picture shows the chassis before it was painted, and the start for the boiler and smoke box construction. This is the bit I love about scratch building, and at this stage just can’t put it down or take my eyes off it. The Austerity tank has been shortened, and the smoke box has been enlarged. I have decided on the basic flat smoke box door design instead of the curved one, as its true to the early prototype used on these meter gauge Pecketts. The austerity dome has been cut down and reshaped with filler. 

A1076935-4096-4243-82BE-78A78A432BBE.jpeg

B14A00B5-5C8C-4FEE-8563-C2673B036868.jpeg

957B4CA0-9708-4C56-90F2-873BD8108A62.jpeg

Edited by PAT JAYA 185
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Building up the cab is fairly basic, just like the real thing really. I must admit that I have built a few Pecketts in 009 before, although this is a narrow gauge locomotive in standard gauge size. Ive used the rear of the cab and the firebox from the Airfix austerity. I always make sure I have some sort of scale drawing and lots of pictures for reference when scratch building a model, but although I gather as many pictures from as many angles as possible, without ever actually seeing and photographing the locomotive, there is still a load of details that I just have to guess, and inside the cab is one of those areas. So they are never perfect. 

77E13E94-FA87-438C-B794-8D9E79686F23.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Moving on quickly to the diorama.

Subject: The end of the Ironstone industry in Northamptonshire.

Year: Mid 1970’s

Location: No actual location just a Meter gauge Northamptonshire industrial line, having ceased production.

My first cake box challenge was of a Cornish Foundry Locomotive sheds. This was loosely based on the Sunderland ship building yards. If you didn’t see it, it was very dark and heavily weathered which looked good, but I definitely wanted to look for a different approach to modelling heavily used industrial landscapes.

In my view these challenges need to be about experimenting with new techniques or attempting new methods to extract better results. 

I was desperately disappointed with my attempt of puddles on my last cake box challenge, so that was on the list of techniques to prefect, plus I have been struggling with modelling open water on my actual layout. So if I could tackle that too that would be great. 

I was really impressed with Ikea’s packaging and had kept a load of it from a recent purchase. So this seemed like the correct thing to use. I love its honeycomb structure (see picture one) It is extremely light and very strong! Brilliant for modelling dioramas. I have used a fairly deep base, and cut the layers with a Stanley knife, then glued them together with super glue. Next using black mounting card for the edges, i glued them into place with using super glue again. 

Once the track was down I used sand and fish tank stones from Wilko to build up the ground cover, glued down with watered down PVA. Once this has all set I use clay to blend the sand and stones together. It gives it a muddy Stoney look I feel, and I like it. After all of this has set, I spray painted it with Matt Black and the a light spray with grey primer. Everything is then dry brushed with white acrylic paint. 

1EFD5684-F968-4DC6-8144-2FB644DF5CD2.jpeg

D353FB0D-7735-4550-8B6C-BBE0009529C7.jpeg

2485A508-B2AB-4A7A-AB46-E39ED297E998.jpeg

6EA2D815-8110-4F54-9CC6-152E16ACC38C.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

14 minutes ago, Kevin Johnson said:

Your loco build is coming along really quick. Look forward to seeing the finished loco.

To be honest it is finished, but I hadn’t thought to start a build topic till I had finished. I have an Instagram account that I normally post my builds on, so I have all the detail and posts in the correct order on my Instagram account, I’m just transferring onto RMweb. I’m posting in between shifts at work as I am a chef and currently in my busiest period of the year. Thanks for the comment and please watch this space.... :)

Thoroughly Enjoying this build, and it’s coming together nicely. The super structure is almost finished and then I will be moving on to the filler and filing stage. Once everything is smooth and straight, I will make a start on the tiny details. I’m really enjoying modelling a bigger locomotive for once, as I normally model in 009 gauge.

These meter gauge locomotive, in some cases were very similar in size to a standard gauge locomotives. 

The firebox detail isn’t to my normal standards, but I had the detail from the austerity kit and time isn’t really on my side, and as the cab is so enclosed you’ll barely be able to see it anyway.  

E00625FD-18B4-42F4-B610-C6CC57D0D059.jpeg

5E48BCC2-8337-4B99-AFAA-72CFEFCAA9BD.jpeg

957C50CD-E6BA-40F1-88C0-390B5D279B10.jpeg

8229AB96-B1D8-4944-8B41-DAE9187CF670.jpeg

• Like 4

So I have managed to finish building the Peckett and added most of the detail. There is only hand rails, rivets and couplings to go now. Progress has been very good with this build and I have thoroughly enjoyed it. I’m going to be trying out a fairly new paint technique to me. Although I have done the ‘hair spray’ technique before I have only done it in 7mm, so I’ll have to see how it works in 4mm. 

So last fittings now, rivets then primer...

D13AA116-5E35-4339-96A9-98F58B4984B2.jpeg

9E5C5ABC-4BB4-4CE3-9431-80D04F1B8A33.jpeg

• Like 1

Adding Archer rivet transfers, was possibly my least favourite job, but over time I seem to have got to grips with it. Finally. I’ve alsoadded the braking gear which I’m very glad I did, although it isn’t very noticeable once painted, they do complete the look affectively 

01608360-9BA1-4CBB-9C10-383B91E9B11A.jpeg

Edited by PAT JAYA 185
  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium

I really like this thread which has resulted in a very convincing model of one of these distinctive Peckett locos. Also a very good drawing in the first post.

Looking forward to the finished cakebox, seeing if the loco runs, and will there be room for one of the distinctive wagons with their two ironstone containers?

I'm sure you know about the Irchester Narrow Gauge Museum where the three surviving locos are, there is a thread I started a few years back here. If you ever get the chance to take your model to one of their open days I'm sure people would be interested. 

Dava

Hi Dava, 

thank you, I’m quite please with it myself, and I am planning to have it running but not until the cakebox challenge has been entered. In fact I am also planning a 4ftx1.8ft Meter gauge layout now (00MG) I think it would be a nice break from 009 modelling and a good chance to build something in almost standard gauge size.

i have a few new techniques that I’m looking forward to trying out, and as I’m mentioned I’m thoroughly enjoying this project and the fact it has opened up new possibilities to pounder. 

Your thread is fantastic and I will definitely be using it for Inspiration. Thank you for the pointer. I am planning to visit irchester at some point in the future too. 

• Thanks 1

Now with primer on, it’s ready for a closer inspection to check for any In discrepancies, and at this stage I use dry wet and dry paper to gently smooth down any rough surfaces and remove any unsightly glue marks. I think I might remove the rear spectacle bars too. I also have to glue the roof panel on still, but after I have painted inside the cab. As for paint I’m thinking a rust under paint look, rather than completely rusty. I will post some examples......

11AC4F8B-0B68-4CFE-A26D-1E5C4EE0FB11.jpeg

072814E3-89AE-4895-94AE-4EAB15393483.jpeg

6B60C538-9987-456E-B9D9-3E5DDDAAF7AE.jpeg

Edited by PAT JAYA 185
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

The first coat of the fantastic paint job in attempting is on, this will be given a coat of Humbrol Matt varnish to protect in from the next coat of paint, which will be an off white base coat, followed by the locomotives actually colour, naval light grey (which is really little blue) 

9BA37DB4-49BC-4C9E-82D5-800C05C8CF0C.jpeg

So the Peckett is almost finished, and I’m very pleased with the out come so far. The livery I think is just what I was looking for and the patina and weathering in just right for a heavily worked locomotive that has sat for a couple of years awaiting rescuing. Unfortunately during painting the rear wheels has seized. So once this model has been entered I will attack it with tools! 

C2C06CE7-CD16-49AF-B19C-D506FC54CB9F.jpeg

ECEF7E7C-B912-4E59-8BE2-7E46CAA7B1AB.jpeg

9D343872-C80D-4585-A37E-0019426DCA48.jpeg

B12BB001-1602-45AC-BE76-6232672CB98D.jpeg

• Like 3

I have left one of the rear spectacle glass panes out as if it is broken. The other I have added a crack. Although you can’t really see the crack in this picture... I’ve popped one of my water colour backscenes behind it for a bit of atmosphere. 7E57C831-23F0-46E4-8CC5-F6AF7F249367.jpeg.619b48520e1a950ce994c3155957b1a3.jpeg

Edited by PAT JAYA 185
  • Like 3