Workshop shadowbox diorama

Hawk

The windows in the building are cast iron, and they are well suited for etching. The large rectangular windows are for the skylights. 

In addition the artwork includes the parts for the overhead travelling crane: 

etch.jpg.79b1b6cb157c9439725c5bf99471b122.jpg

I drew the artwork in VectorWorks, an professional CAD package. It is totally overkill for a simple drawing like this, any vector based drawing/illustrator will work. 

It was etched by PPD Ltd. in Scotland, and as usually the service and quality of the etches were excellent. 

The material is 0.3mm nickel-silver. I find that NS takes paint and solder better than brass. And If the model (God forbid!) gets scratched, NS looks more like the steel of the prototype than brass. 

When I received the etches, I immediately blackened the window etchings. For chemically blackening it is essential the the metal is absolutely clean, and I reckon that I will never get the metal as clean as PPD could.  

Next: Building the travelling overhead crane

Edited by Hawk
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
46 minutes ago, The Bandit said:

Absolutely superb! Being a fan of micro layouts I just love this concept you are working on!

Thanks! I think the Shadowbox  approach works for both interior and exterior scenes, but maybe especially for interior ones. 

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi, very inspiring stuff.  I’ve tried something similar in 4mm - see the rest of my stuff here at RMweb on my blog.

B7CE7513-B172-476D-B436-49D666451448.jpeg.da533be83dee1109388c096d60015b39.jpeg

Above - shadow box roundhouse.  A 20 inch by 20 inch display using a mirror to the right to double the scene.  Lighting was achieved using car headlight bulbs shining through slits.

47CB1A61-CEF4-4DA9-8E1B-C4B0D804F737.jpeg.fa6d707cd298c9feac36c632d687a062.jpeg

The station - 6ft long with a mirror again to double the length.

532B5D1D-CB68-4FCF-BE49-F545997BFDEA.jpeg.74fa6a26a2126b03ebb2060b34901982.jpeg

A depiction of Barrow Hill Roundhouse.  This model is 3 ft x 3 ft model with a working turntable. 

You May also want to look at Mikkel’s fantastic Farthing Layouts - particularly his warehouse which is both an external and internal display model.  His work is also in 4mm scale and is much more detailed and exacting than my stuff.  

image.png.a8685d618dec29fd1d6112f2cc866f83.png

He also tells great stories on his blog.

I look forward to seeing your workshop develop.

Regards Mike.

image.png

Edited by PaternosterRow
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 3

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Did some work on the box that houses the diorama. It looks rather ridiculous when the box is unpainted and the there are no lights inside the workshop, but  at least there is some progress.69D0FC13-B244-4C26-8420-A7D918498D68.jpeg.2277cc41a50b9ac98e7b4d7a6283fb67.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

I have completely missed this thread, and now I can't see most of the photos (although if I right-click the ones stored off-site and open them in a new window they turn up). 

But that one image from February 17 says it all really. Extraordinary work Hawk, to a standard that makes my head spin.

• Agree 2

18 hours ago, Mikkel said:

I have completely missed this thread, and now I can't see most of the photos (although if I right-click the ones stored off-site and open them in a new window they turn up). 

But that one image from February 17 says it all really. Extraordinary work Hawk, to a standard that makes my head spin.

Thanks a lot, Mikkel! And let me return the compliment, I have found a lot of inspiration in your fine work.

I am truly sorry for the non-showing images! Most of my images

are hosted on a non-secure server, and nowadays browsers by default doesn’t accept unsecured content. I would love to move all my images to a secure server, but this would most likely break the links to literally thousands of images that I have included in forum posts during the last 18 years. You could of course argue that the links are already broken, but there are proven workarounds. I have to be certain that the situation will not be worsened by moving to a secure server. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Don't worry, not seeing the images wasn't meant as a criticism, as we know all too well storing images on the web involves uncertainties as things change. 

I enjoyed the reference to Folk & Roevere in the old URL by the way, not many people on here will know what that means or the excellent story behind it 🙂

Edited by Mikkel

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Hawk said:

Thanks a lot, Mikkel! And let me return the compliment, I have found a lot of inspiration in your fine work.

I am truly sorry for the non-showing images! Most of my images

are hosted on a non-secure server, and nowadays browsers by default doesn’t accept unsecured content. I would love to move all my images to a secure server, but this would most likely break the links to literally thousands of images that I have included in forum posts during the last 18 years. You could of course argue that the links are already broken, but there are proven workarounds. I have to be certain that the situation will not be worsened by moving to a secure server. 

Hawk,

Not wishing to deviate from the modelling topic (which is superb btw!) but there would be nothing stopping you adding an SSL certificate to your current server and using a .htaccess file to redirect any http requests to https - thereby providing a secure link, not breaking any existing links and not needing to change server.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, MarshLane said:

Hawk,

Not wishing to deviate from the modelling topic (which is superb btw!) but there would be nothing stopping you adding an SSL certificate to your current server and using a .htaccess file to redirect any http requests to https - thereby providing a secure link, not breaking any existing links and not needing to change server.

I will definitely look into it. There are few things more frustrating than finding and old forum thread with broken image links. Old forum threads are often a great resource, but not if the images are gone!

• Agree 2

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 17/02/2022 at 21:52, Hawk said:

Sorry for not posting a reply before, Pater!

I am indeed familier with your and Mikkels work, and a while back when I worked for the Norwegian Model railroad magazine “Mj-Bladet “ we ran articles from both of you. It did indeed inspire me a lot! 

I am a painfully slow modeler, but there have been a little progress on the diorama:

220214_verksted_4.jpg

Gosh, hi Hawk.  Yes of course you did and what a splendid job you did as editor - sorry I never made the connection before.  This diorama of yours is superb and the attention to detail is absolutely amazing.  I’m not a patient modeler like you or Mikkel and this shows - for example, the painstaking research before you painted the walls and floor has given your scene such a sense of realism that a casual observer would be convinced that they are looking at a real location.  This museum quality work, my friend.  Sorry for not getting back sooner, but I just recently recovered from a long stint of illness.  What are you doing now if you have moved on from MJ Bladet and how does the magazine fares now that you’ve left?  

Regards Mike.  

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Haavard, that looks tantalizing! I almost turned my laptop to see if I could look inside 😃

I like the design, and how the opening has the shape of the roof. Is there a light source inside the box?

Edited by Mikkel
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 15/10/2022 at 08:17, Mikkel said:

Hi Haavard, that looks tantalizing! I almost turned my laptop to see if I could look inside 😃

I like the design, and how the opening has the shape of the roof. Is there a light source inside the box?

Thanks a lot for the kind words!

I am especially happy that you like the house shaped opening. I argued back and forth with myself if it looked good or a bit contrived. One of the reasons for choosing the “house” was that I really wanted to show of the rafters I put so much work into.

It is indeed a light source inside the box; a standard 600mmX600mm LED-panel is placed right under the roof of the box. The inside of the box is painted glossy white so that light is reflected into the workshop through the windows. There are also prototypical skylights in the roof of the building.

IMG_0854.jpeg.6211e88198bd3f5314096c10dfedf2d7.jpeg 

I think that LED panels are an excellent  source of light for dioramas and small layouts. They come in many sizes. 600X600 is the most common, but I have also seen 1200X600 , 1200X300, 600X300 and even some smaller one. Make sure that you find a panel with a good color index. And be sure to get the correct voltage for the panel! Some panels are 220V and can be plugged straight in. Others are for use with transformers. Don’t ask me how I found this out…

The panel I ended up with is a 45W panel with a fairly good color index. Since the light is supposed to be daylight coming in through the windows, I chose a panel with a cold light. 

I was a bit concerned about heat buildup inside the box, but I left the lights on for a couple of days without any heat problems.

Edited by Hawk
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for that Hawk. My approach to lighting is still a bit haphazard, so it's useful to have these pointers. 

Those rafters were worth every minute that you spent on them!