How on earth do I accomplish this

I'm trying to chisel (best word I can find) all 4 sides of the raised door on a wagon to create a pressing that's raised in the middle. I've tried drawing shapes and loft cutting from 2 different sides. I've tried a couple of lots but no cigar!  Pictures of the model wagon and the real one. If you can help in Cubify all the better as that is what I use. I will be printing these in N scale if I can wrap my head around what to do to achieve this. Thanks in advance. Chris

RY.JPG

RY2.JPG

ry1946.jpg

• RMweb Gold

American diesels have this sort of panelling.

It's generally done by scribing an X on the back of 0005/"0010" brass sheet cut to size and pressing through from the rear.

There are videos out there, but I can't find one at the mo.

If you're not doing lots of wagons might this be an option, print the model in the flat and add them on?

Mike.

• RMweb Premium

Each door would have to be faced with 4 triangles, the hypotenuse flush with the side of the wagon and the apex aligning in the centre and +n mm.

Roughly like this - 

1276730034_wagonpanel.jpg.4a0c89b8c810812e978e2e96a89300a4.jpg

• Like 1

starting with either top or side, create a triangle shape using bottom corner and mid point of top ege, then slice leaving that triangle shape in place. do this for top and side, leaving 4 triangle shaped protrusion. the back(ie inside wagon) would be flat.

if inside needs to follow same shape, then, first cut hole in side of wagon, then create a pittched roof effect , either top to bottom or side to side.and do the same side to side or top to bottom correspondingly. now using the flat'roof' as a base cut everything above and do this for all 4 'roof' sections. easier to do than to explain.

• Like 1

Thank you for the replies.  I want to print them on my printer. I need 20 N scale wagons but still cant quiet make out what to do. I have re-read rue_d_etropal posts about 4 times but still struggling with how to apply it to the raised panel on the door. I understand about the X being scribbed into the back of the brass sheet but these will be 3D prints so I cant use that method.  Maybe a drawing in a couple of screen grabs may be the go so I can marry the pictures to the words above.

Thanks Chris

Edited by Spiritofprogress

not complex, lining up 3 triang;es in 3D accurately can be difficult. I use a combination of 2D shapes and 3D . It is not only more accurate but also faster.

Pics 3 and 4 are just removing first 2 projections . Each step removes one projection.

Not sure how your CAD software works, but I just clicked on roof below apex, then cut (in my case that is a + cut, as cut is negative by default).

In Sketchup I would simply draw the rectangle of the panel, draw two diagonal guide lines from corner to corner so they cross in the middle to establish the centre of the panel, then decide how far I want the projection to stick out. Then from the centre of the cross formed by the two diagonal guide lines, draw a line perpendicular to the panel the required projection distance. Then draw four lines to link the end of that line to each of the corners. In Sketchup that will immediately create four new faces in the form you want. Then delete the unwanted flat panel and guide diagonals behind. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, 5D_Stoke said:

In Sketchup I would simply draw the rectangle of the panel, draw two diagonal guide lines from corner to corner so they cross in the middle to establish the centre of the panel, then decide how far I want the projection to stick out. Then from the centre of the cross formed by the two diagonal guide lines, draw a line perpendicular to the panel the required projection distance. Then draw four lines to link the end of that line to each of the corners. In Sketchup that will immediately create four new faces in the form you want. Then delete the unwanted flat panel and guide diagonals behind. 

That sounds nice and easy but I'm stuck with Cubify. The entire wagon is drawn but I only need these panels done so I can print.  Anyone with Cubify  knowledge - can you give me the steps as I don't want to learn another program again

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Spiritofprogress said:

That sounds nice and easy but I'm stuck with Cubify. The entire wagon is drawn but I only need these panels done so I can print.  Anyone with Cubify  knowledge - can you give me the steps as I don't want to learn another program again

I may be the bearer of bad tidings bit I am afraid you are probably going to have to learn an alternative as I believe Cubify has closed down completely now. This means that sooner or later Microsft or Apple will release an operating system update incompatible with Cubify and it will stop working with no support available for you.

Probably as well to forward plan to learn something new than be forced into it at what would probably be an inconvenient moment.

Personally I use Tinkercad (online) as a first choice and Meshmixer on my local laptop as a second choice although have used Sketchup in the past. It may be about finding what you are most comfortable with.

Nice feature with Tinkercad and Meshmixer  ( and I assume Sketchup) is you can import virtually any STL file from any source file and edit it in them so the work you have done in Cubify is not wasted.

While I cannot help with Cubify, attached is an STL file of what I believe you are looking for, you should be able to import, edit and add to your wagons.

Side panel.stl

Edited by JimFin
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, JimFin said:

I may be the bearer of bad tidings bit I am afraid you are probably going to have to learn an alternative as I believe Cubify has closed down completely now. This means that sooner or later Microsft or Apple will release an operating system update incompatible with Cubify and it will stop working with no support available for you.

Probably as well to forward plan to learn something new than be forced into it at what would probably be an inconvenient moment.

Personally I use Tinkercad (online) as a first choice and Meshmixer on my local laptop as a second choice although have used Sketchup in the past. It may be about finding what you are most comfortable with.

Nice feature with Tinkercad and Meshmixer  ( and I assume Sketchup) is you can import virtually any STL file from any source file and edit it in them so the work you have done in Cubify is not wasted.

While I cannot help with Cubify, attached is an STL file of what I believe you are looking for, you should be able to import, edit and add to your wagons.

Side panel.stl 384 B · 1 download

Hi Jim, so to finish this off I can import my current wagon into meshmixer as a stl and then import your panel onto the wagon? Am I reading that right? Cheers Chris

• RMweb Premium

That would work but as a quick simple fix, suggest you use Tinkercad as I see you cannot import STL files into Cubify Design. Means you would not have to download anything. Open Tinkercad, import your wagon, import the file I sent you, move into position, edit and adjust for perfect fit. Group, save the complete as an STL, export and print.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1