Bachmann headcode box 24

robertcwp

I can't see this mentioned anywhere else (apart from on my layout thread) but the first of the new Bachmann 24s has appeared.

Apologies for the slightly fuzzy photo:

49253715782_026d39e275_b.jpgP1080711am by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

Can we not call these 24/1 as though the headcode box is the defining feature please? What became 24/1 applies to all from D5050 upwards, of which those up to and including D5113 had disc headcodes.

First impressions are that it's a good model although lacking some of the features of the SLW 24. However, my Bachmann one cost me £127.45 plus postage compared to £170 plus postage for an SLW one. I shall have a mixed fleet of the two as I'm more influenced by the variations available than the make. To me, both are plenty good enough.

• Like 9
  • Agree 1

The front cab windscreen and gutter shapes appear to be much better than the previous Bachmann class 24 and 25 models.

I'm a bit like you, Robert, in going for variations on the diesels, even though some don't really belong on my layout. With that in mind I am eyeing off the Dapol class 21 as well, with the excuse that the early deliveries were based around London for a couple of years. I'm going to have to find an excuse for the 24/1 too, I think, then if they do it later, a 25/0 (so similar to the headcode 24/1 that it should be easily possible).

4 minutes ago, russ p said:

Is there any visible difference between these and the 25/0?

The most obvious one is that the 25/0s did not have train heating so there was no boiler water tank and probably no boiler vent and exhaust on the roof. They did, however, have the boiler compartment grille on the side as they were built to allow for boilers to be installed (they never were).

2150169780_dbe4be89d0_c.jpgD5164_Eaglescliffe_28-1-62 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, russ p said:

Is there any visible difference between these and the 25/0?

25 have horns by the side of the headcode box, from 25025  . (Changes occured however).

B14F6BC2-7DD3-4B7E-8A08-DDE8475F5DBE.jpeg

easy mod in the 1980’s to take a file to the Hornby 25 and remove them.

25008 ended up with Horns at one and without at the other, as a result of an accident / cab swap...

https://www.derbysulzers.com/25008.html

25009 couldn't make up its mind, having wings either side of the headcode box, but no horns.

Edited by adb968008

15 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

25/0 have horns by the side of the headcode box.

Not as built they didn't. There were lots of cab end swaps so some gained that style, as did one or two 24s. The horns at the side of the box came in with 25/1. The image I posted of D5164 is what became a 25/0.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, robertcwp said:

Not as built they didn't. There were lots of cab end swaps so some gained that style, as did one or two 24s. The horns at the side of the box came in with 25/1. The image I posted of D5164 is what became a 25/0.

First 25.

swaps occured.

first 25 had bufferbeam fairing as 24’s too.

very good detail here..

https://www.derbysulzers.com/cabs.html

Edited by adb968008

15 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

First 25.

swaps occured.

first 25 had bufferbeam fairing as 24’s too.

very good detail here..

https://www.derbysulzers.com/cabs.html

Indeed, yes, but after the first 25 class 25s, they became 25/1 and that is when the body changed to have horns either side of the headcode box, recessed cab doors, no valances and a straight lower edge to the cab front. The design of traction motor changed too. The first 25 (D5151-5175) were more like later 24s than the rest of Class 25 in terms of appearance.

The Derby Sulzers site is essential reading. 

The page for D5135, the subject of Bachmann's model, is here.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, robertcwp said:

Indeed, yes, but after the first 25 class 25s, they became 25/1 and that is when the body changed to have horns either side of the headcode box, recessed cab doors, no valances and a straight lower edge to the cab front. The design of traction motor changed too. The first 25 (D5151-5175) were more like later 24s than the rest of Class 25 in terms of appearance.

The Derby Sulzers site is essential reading. 

The page for D5135, the subject of Bachmann's model, is here.

Oh sorry my bad, I typed 25/0 without thinking.

yes you are correct.

Hornby's 25 wasn't an /0 either.

Edited by adb968008

Just now, adb968008 said:

Oh sorry my bad, I typed 25/0 without thinking.

yes you are correct.

Hornby's 25 was a 25/1 too.

Although they numbered it in the 25/2 range, of which there were 30 with the old body style. Other 25/2s and all 25/3s had the revised body.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

25 have horns by the side of the headcode box, from 25025  . (Changes occured however).

B14F6BC2-7DD3-4B7E-8A08-DDE8475F5DBE.jpeg

easy mod in the 1980’s to take a file to the Hornby 25 and remove them.

25008 ended up with Horns at one and without at the other, as a result of an accident / cab swap...

https://www.derbysulzers.com/25008.html

25009 couldn't make up its mind, having wings either side of the headcode box, but no horns.

I used to look after that 25 very sad looking now, its actually round the corner from my house.

I think 25/0s also had ever so slightly smaller windows from the class 24

• Friendly/supportive 1

10 minutes ago, Markn said:

Looks great in green without the warning panels and much improved over the past releases. What's the detail pack like?

Hopefully mine will arrive tomorrow.

Detail pack is good, if a bit fiddly. Different league to the old Bachmann one. Not up to SLW standard though, where the details come mostly already done.

Comparison with old Bachmann 24. I tried to do an end-on shot too but it didn't come out very well so I shall have another go.

49265205891_c6e17bd9bf_b.jpgP1080714am by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

And a closer view of the new one. I may need to prune off the coupling hooks as they may catch on the Sprat & Winkle couplings that I use.

49264742553_729cbab646_b.jpgP1080713am by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I usually like diesels in green with a yellow warning panel, but the images without look very attractive.

A highland 24/1 is what i’d do mine as, both in blue and a green one.

For the blue ones, does anyone know where I could acquire a couple of 2mm -2.5mm LED head lamps ?

33 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

I usually like diesels in green with a yellow warning panel, but the images without look very attractive.

A highland 24/1 is what i’d do mine as, both in blue and a green one.

For the blue ones, does anyone know where I could acquire a couple of 2mm -2.5mm LED head lamps ?

The Bachmann one is a London Midland one, so no tablet catcher recess and droplights in the cab driver's side windows. The Highland ones had tablet catcher recesses and sliding driver's side windows. SLW are planning one of those.

Like this: 

2833745549_f093eec5ff_c.jpgD5115_BlairAtholl_13-6-62 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

And this: 

48881718883_839b37afc4_c.jpg24130_Kyle_27-5-75 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

Edited by robertcwp
Add photo link.
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Ah ha, thanks for that.

i’ve just spent an hour viewing your photo library, great collection, trying to match several locations to places Ive done too.

SLW 24 hits the spot on the blue ones, TOPS and pre-TOPs. The Bachmann green one still looks good.

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, meatloaf said:

Got mine last week. Runs great but theres 4 screws not mentioned in the instructions if you want to get the body off to DCC it.

Being old-fashioned DC I have not attempted to take the body off yet. So far as I could see, there are six screws - are there more?

I'm planning on backdating a blue one to pre-TOPS, which would necessitate changing the 0O00 headcodes. On other Bachmann diesels, I have got the headcode glazing out and cleaned off the printing. Hopefully, I shall be able to do the same with the 24. Another challenge is finding one in blue pre-TOPS without the valances. I did find a couple of photos. Now I just need to find the notes I made of where those photos are.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, robertcwp said:

Being old-fashioned DC I have not attempted to take the body off yet. So far as I could see, there are six screws - are there more?

I'm planning on backdating a blue one to pre-TOPS, which would necessitate changing the 0O00 headcodes. On other Bachmann diesels, I have got the headcode glazing out and cleaned off the printing. Hopefully, I shall be able to do the same with the 24. Another challenge is finding one in blue pre-TOPS without the valances. I did find a couple of photos. Now I just need to find the notes I made of where those photos are.

If you are picky watch out for the exhaust configuration Robert

The Version you have - and the GSYP version - have an exhaust silencer fitted. The Blue onE that is yet to come hasnt - the exhaust moved to the L shaped panel as per D5053 in your photo - which is also possibly wrong for a loco that early in its career!

Its a minefield - photos are your only hope, we will probably be looking to do the same and have already bashed the roof on some 25s to get the port in the right place. 5145 may well be correct heres a David Ford photo ... https://www.flickr.com/photos/davidwf2009/7152749765/in/photolist-bF9X33-bU4HiP-beSfsK - no valances, sheeted boiler room grille, no silencer which are the variables I had picked up on. Anyone got others?

Heres the blue Bachmann model...

https://images.railsofsheffield.com/product-images.axd/32-442.LS.jpg?preset=large

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Informative/Useful 1

9 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

If you are picky watch out for the exhaust configuration Robert

The Version you have - and the GSYP version - have an exhaust silencer fitted. The Blue on that is yet to come hasnt - the exhaust moved to the L shaped panel as per D5053 in your photo - which is also possibly wrong for a loco that early in its career!

Its a minefield - photos are your only hope, we will probably be looking to do the same and have already bashed the roof on some 25s to get the port in the right place

Seems to be a modified exhaust on this one:

14253510311_7c7bf40cea_z.jpgClass 24/2 No 5135 by John Evans, on Flickr