Bachmann headcode box 24

robertcwp

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, G567281 said:

Dear Markn,

Many thanks for taking the time and effort to post the pic’s of the roof detail.

They will be very helpful to me when comparing them to the roof detail of the D5151 series of the Thornaby 51L allocation.

A much improved model.  I am delighted to see the handrails aren’t white and I look forward to receiving mine plus D5148 which I believe was a Gateshead loco.

I am hoping the current Ultrascale wheelsets have the same gear then I can also EM them upon receipt.

Happy modelling in 2020.

Regards

Alan

22mm between frames, quite snug!

12 hours ago, adb968008 said:

My father used to administer a Railway enthusiast club in the 1960’s.

shed bunked around the country, went everywhere. I still have much of their sightings.

He said in 1969 membership dropped 2/3rds.

The 1970’s were a very low interest time for enthusiasts, he still kept logs and sightings, but far less.

I think the turning point for resurgence was pending retirement of the Westerns / class 55’s which was a wake up call.

It's amazing when you consider that from my perspective 1969 offered so much to see......

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, andyman7 said:

It's amazing when you consider that from my perspective 1969 offered so much to see......

Oh yes..

I was looking through his notes, and have sightings from various days out in the 1960’s, then one day I saw a whole bunch of numbers that made no sense, then I realised it was pre-tops diesels (without the “D” / “E” prefixes) showing operations at Preston station on a random day in the early 70’s... Headcodes/Times/locos.

If there was interest I could scan a few pages and put some somewhere.

• Like 5

I have been looking for photos or 24s and 25/0s from the twilight years 1969-73. I found one particularly interesting one by Derek Cross on page 69 of 'Scottish Diesels A Colour Portfolio' by David Cross. It shows 5150 in 1973 in blue without valances, numbers without D prefixes, BR emblems on cab sides and what appears to be a cab door off of another class member as it also has a small BR emblem.

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Oh yes..

I was looking through his notes, and have sightings from various days out in the 1960’s, then one day I saw a whole bunch of numbers that made no sense, then I realised it was pre-tops diesels (without the “D” / “E” prefixes) showing operations at Preston station on a random day in the early 70’s... Headcodes/Times/locos.

If there was interest I could scan a few pages and put some somewhere.

I certainly would be interested - these type of records from this period are pretty scarce outside of a notebook, but so very useful to go with working timetables etc. I suppose, like a lot of people, I'm drawn to a period after I was born, but before my own memories begin.

• Like 1

On a different note, the Bachmann  24/1 that I just got had the main (upper) part of the chassis  seemingly glued to the body and impossible to remove. Yes I removed all the screws holding the chassis to the body too, and only the lower chassis/running gear appeared to lift out..oh dear. Anyone else had this problem?? Not seen this in many years of chipping Bachmann locos. Have I got a dud?

11 minutes ago, paulbb said:

On a different note, the Bachmann  24/1 that I just got had the main (upper) part of the chassis  seemingly glued to the body and impossible to remove. Yes I removed all the screws holding the chassis to the body too, and only the lower chassis/running gear appeared to lift out..oh dear. Anyone else had this problem?? Not seen this in many years of chipping Bachmann locos. Have I got a dud?

Did you find the screws under the bogies (just in front of the rear wheels on each set)? Sorry if you did, but they are the ones that caught me out for a while as not a normal Bachmann placing.

2 hours ago, Markn said:

Did you find the screws under the bogies (just in front of the rear wheels on each set)? Sorry if you did, but they are the ones that caught me out for a while as not a normal Bachmann placing.

caught me out too I thought the ones the instructions refurred to were the others slightly udner the bogies but it tuened out to be they ones accessed through the bogie frames.

On another note has anyone found there decoder dosent sit flat on the pins? Mine ( lens silver ) sits an angle. Checked pins aren't bent and the blanking plug goes back on perfect.

Works fine tho just at an angle as I say

11 hours ago, Markn said:

Markyn, yes I did -all six screws were removed but the top chassis black remains stuck to the roof or so it seems. Thnaks for the tip but it seems its just a bad un; will return it to the retailer

• RMweb Premium

What's the verdict on this model? Have Bachmann just spent 5 years putting a headcode box on the old model as was suggested a few weeks ago when only photos of the pre-production mock-up were available, or does the new one introduce improvements? One photo earlier in this thread seems to suggest the latter. But there are not many clear photos of the new model around.

Are the cab fronts and windows now correct? What about the bodyside grilles - less proud of the body? Does it still have "cheese slices" (Porcy) draped across the roof? Thanks! 

• Funny 1

It looks much better to me, curvature of the window looks good, it would be worth seeing a "from above view" to see how flat the cab front is? When I sorted my class 25's I worked out that Bachmann had made the cab front too flat which pulled the front windscreen pillar too far forward (Heljan did similar with their o gauge 25/1). 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Daddyman said:

? Does it still have "cheese slices" (Porcy) draped across the roof? Thanks! 

Did I say that?  Cheeky!

I can't comment as I don't have one as yet and am still arguing with mysen whether I should go for D5149 as it was piped up to work the Tyne Dock I/O's. It does look to be much improved from the early cads but I guess that's us, the consumers benefiting from stiff competition. The big thumbs down for me is still the body/valance join around the front and I suspect it may be sometime before a non Scottish headcode box SLW version appears?

I'll probably still carry on carving bits off and clagging bits on the original Bachmann/Hornby bodies. This was destined to be the unique D5160 in its 1966 guise but I think the time finishing it of now could be spent more productively elsewhere.

BmannCl24BodyMods-30-EditSm.jpg.07939dcb5fba76c0c3bceb85a38b9bf8.jpg

BmannCl24BodyMods-07edit.jpg.d19e5ce45487933286e4a2b1160bc40e.jpg

I wonder if the Boiler room Grills a still separate?... and those hand rail grabs!

Edited by Porcy Mane

1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

Are you missing a row of roof panel latches on the left side, as viewed in the picture or is that a trick of the photograph / self fitting ?

They weren't self fitting, but I think it's the light as in the next pic where the ends are reversed they are there. 

• Like 1

Has anyone fitted sound to thiers? If so what deoder / sound file is best?

Looking around the loksounds appear to come with a speaker prefitted. Can this be used in conjunction with the prefitted one in the loco or should I cut the one off the decoder snd use the one already in the loco?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A short running session featuring the all new British Rail Class 24/1 from Bachmann, edited with Real Sound. 
Sounds are provided by a number of fellow class members from my sound collection, captured at various railway outings over the past few years.
Hope you enjoy!

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, D1051 said:

if you mean the the cab hand rails ? Then Bachmann have reproduced them correctly .They are flat stainless steel bar on the prototype not round steel bar.  There similar to those used on Peaks.  

Agreed - and were much longer so more prominent on the early Peaks. Brassmaster do an etched version if the Bachmann ones offend.....

• Like 1