Bachmann headcode box 24

robertcwp

4 hours ago, Porcy Mane said:

Dunno. Didn't know he works for a Mag. If it is a factory supplied review sample perhaps that should have been made clear

4 hours ago, D1051 said:

is this the "review" sample supplied to SDJR7F88 for the railway modelling  magazine he now works for ?

Hi there, yes it review sample for Railway Modeller. The clips were filmed while model was being tested for next issue of the Mag.

I've update the description to cover this. 

Something to keep me occupied on evenings in the hotel, while I find a place down here 

Edited by SDJR7F88
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On ‎30‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 06:54, Phil Bullock said:

Agreed - and were much longer so more prominent on the early Peaks. Brassmaster do an etched version if the Bachmann ones offend.....

Any pictures of the Brassmasters  fitted to the earlier model class 24/0

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, paul 27 said:

Any pictures of the Brassmasters  fitted to the earlier model class 24/0

Sorry Paul - we no longer have any Bachmann 24s, superceded by SLW ones.

• Friendly/supportive 1

1 minute ago, paul 27 said:

That's ok Phil are the Brassmasters  rounded curved inwards at there ends.

http://www.brassmasters.co.uk/class_24-25_etch.htm

Alan Austin also does a very nice class 24 handrail Etch. Part No LH1.  £1.80 in his latest catalogue  (January).  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, stewartingram said:

Any links to the Alan Austin bits?

Here's a link to his website. Look for Product Price list at the bottom of the page, then go to Locomotive Parts on Page 3.

http://ambisengineering.co.uk/

Here are a couple of photos of both the Brassmaster and Ambis products, of which I have both.

Ambis Cl 24 handrail etches.

1939862228_AmbisCl24handrailetches-b.jpg.90a8b75cf5bc720a95fb965e7f059da1.jpg

Brassmaster Cl 24 detail bits.

297662750_BrassmasterCl24detailbits-a.jpg.da3ac3746c8459c02c1e990e9d1cdc29.jpg

Paul J.

• Thanks 4

36 minutes ago, paul 27 said:

does this mean there is no fan fitted.

The pics above show fan fitted so expect a different design of speaker to earlier models. Perhaps those that have handled the review sample could comment.

• 2 weeks later...

Probably not well

7 minutes ago, meatloaf said:

I have a spare 21 pin loksound decoder taken from a class 25. Im fairly sure its a v3.5. Will this work in the 24 using the built in speaker?

The v3.5 used a 100 ohm speaker. I would imagine the pre-fitted speaker supplied inside the latest 24  will be a 4 or 8 ohm speaker so probably not. Dependant on type & method of fixing it should be fairly easy to swop out the speaker. Hopefully the reviews will explain this.

• Agree 2

• 1 month later...
On 11/02/2020 at 09:31, meatloaf said:

I have a spare 21 pin loksound decoder taken from a class 25. Im fairly sure its a v3.5. Will this work in the 24 using the built in speaker?

On 11/02/2020 at 09:44, Porcy Mane said:

Probably not well

The v3.5 used a 100 ohm speaker. I would imagine the pre-fitted speaker supplied inside the latest 24  will be a 4 or 8 ohm speaker so probably not. Dependant on type & method of fixing it should be fairly easy to swop out the speaker. Hopefully the reviews will explain this.

Definitely do NOT use the pre-fitted speaker with a v3.5 decoder; you will probably blow the amp part of the decoder if you do. You should do as Porcy suggests and swap out the speaker. The down side to that is that the range of 100 ohnm speakers available is rather limited. 

Edited by SRman
  • Agree 1

On 13/03/2020 at 00:44, SRman said:

Definitely do NOT use the pre-fitted speaker with a v3.5 decoder; you will probably blow the amp part fo the decoder if you do. You should do as Porcy suggests and swap out the speaker. The down side to that is that the range of 100 ohnm speakers available is rather limited. 

For information the speaker in the Class 24/1 is 8 ohm which will not work with a v3.5 decoder.

Edited by simon.pashley@sky.com
mispelling

Sadly unidentified, but a '51xx' series example approaching Rugby from Clifton Mill c.1965 / 66 on a typical Peterborough line service...

Edit ; actually looking at the headcode it may well be the Horwich working...

RY Clifton Mill down D51XX.jpg

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 9

On ‎12‎/‎03‎/‎2020 at 15:12, gridwatcher said:

'Incoming' The Blue one (woop woop!) and second green one are on their way according to Bachmann for delivery early next week? (  as of Thursday 12th)

In stock now at some retailers though the discounted price has increased from the previous model.

• RMweb Gold

https://www.flickr.com/photos/59835095@N02/6263524306/in/album-72157627812411185/

I think I prefer the Bachmann number font....

Otherwise the models look remarkably consistent but is the rad grille wonky on the SLW? Camera is always cruel at this distance.

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Phil Bullock said:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/59835095@N02/6263524306/in/album-72157627812411185/

I think I prefer the Bachmann number font....

Otherwise the models look remarkably consistent but is the rad grille wonky on the SLW? Camera is always cruel at this distance.

The difference between a well made moulding tool and a plonked on etched grille.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

The difference between a well made moulding tool and a plonked on etched grille.

And more conspicuous as its the Darlington silver grilled version....

• Agree 1