Bachmann headcode box 24

robertcwp

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, atom3624 said:

Is the door shape beneath the middle window supposed to be doors like they are on the Bachmann?

Al.

Hi Al

A few class 24s had their doors sealed before the change to corporate blue livery. They all had the later style of square topped yellow panel.

2 hours ago, 25901 said:

To be honest both models are a leap forward compared to the Hornby 25 that most of us have had to put up with for decades.

I take all the hot debate on these models will be replicated when Heljan release their 25/3, I’m sure people will find fault and the rivet counters will be in fits never mind the wrong shade of paint army sharping their knifes.

Then again what do I know, I only used to own the real thing. Lol  

Hi Robin

I still happily run my Hornby class 25 conversions alongside my Bachmann 24s and 25/3s and my SLW locos. When at the head of a train on the other side of the room, 20 feet away, I can't tell the difference. I even have a DJH 25/3, not the bestest runner. Anyone got a unwanted unmade MTK one so I can complete my game of Sulzer Bo-Bo bingo?

As for the prospect of the Heljan model, I am ready to jump into rivet counter mode after some of their cock-ups over the years.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Happy with mine.  It may not be detail-perfect but neither am I paying the sort of price I would expect for a top-quality bespoke model.  It looks perhaps a little "plasticy" but I haven't weathered it yet and that should change things.  Likewise the glazed headcode panels look a little like stuck-on labels and again a little weathering could change that for the better.  A nice detail is the headcode at one end where the G of 3G02 is half-wound (or jammed / slipped) as was seen often enough in reality.  The rest of that display is misaligned subtly as well.

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, paul 27 said:

Advertised as having cab lighting yet nothing mentioned in the instruction sheet or does this only work on DCC.

Have you tried the microswitches underneath?

Back to the thorny issue of sound and many thanks to Dougjuk (see above) 'Bachmann have factory fitted a speaker' (hooray!) but it's beyond weedy (boo!) So upgrade as Doug has done is the best option. Not exactly easy, as yet again a manufacturer has left a pitiful amout of room in for anything and even using Zimo/Sutton/Youchoos' extensive range of enclosure speakers there is little scope for anything very beefy. (This is miles away from what Phil Sutton and Co engineered into the SLW 24 chassis several years ago!) It will work and it will make sufficient, if not epic, noise but yet again (and after a looooonng wait) we have a superb model let down by ill thought internals. Harrummph!! :mad::mad:

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Here is my Hornby 24 again. It has reduced size front windscreens, raised nose doors and new side windows. The centre front windscreen I increased in size slightly. The Chassis is a modified Bachmann 25. 

post-11423-0-54790200-1445168745.jpg

Edited by drgj
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

This is an impressive model from Bachmann. The lower cab front doesn’t quite work for me but it isn’t too far behind the SLW offering. It’ll be interesting to see if either Bachmann or SLW do a 25/0. Then the big question is who will bring out a 25/1 with the early body style - Bachmann, SLW or Heljan?

• Like 1

On 19/03/2020 at 11:04, iak said:

Disassembly – BACH Lots of screws!;  SLW Four simple clips. 

Different folks have different strokes, and I have no skin in this particular game, but personally I find that screws are less heart-stopping than clips. Mileages frequently vary.

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, paul 27 said:

Yes they control the running lights, it does look like there are lights inside the cab roofs.

Fair enough.  I always turn cab lights off anyway.  They should not be on whilst in motion and only on when the loco is stationary.  DCC works better for such things than my DC set-up.  

Having just taken a look at my loco the "cab" lighting might in fact be the headcode box lighting

• RMweb Gold

Heres 5145 ready for service on Abbotswood...

Thanks Jim!

Original speaker not too bad with V5 chip and biff sound file so left it alone ....

FE642C47-9CC7-4CAB-ADF1-E38A6FF26CCD.jpeg

Edited by Phil Bullock
Photo added
  • Like 14

Got mine run in today and fitted an old Bachmann 36-554 decoder I had set aside for it some considerable time ago, now programmed on the ESU ECoS.

Also changed the headcode as per my usual (even though not always prototypical - rule 1) to 'Domino' style.

Just renumbering left to do now, will be choosing the only one of these I ever saw, 24142 which by that time was a Departmental Loco located at Healey Mills in the early 1980's.

24137.JPG

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, Opelsi said:

Got mine run in today and fitted an old Bachmann 36-554 decoder I had set aside for it some considerable time ago, now programmed on the ESU ECoS.

Also changed the headcode as per my usual (even though not always prototypical - rule 1) to 'Domino' style.

Just renumbering left to do now, will be choosing the only one of these I ever saw, 24142 which by that time was a Departmental Loco located at Healey Mills in the early 1980's.

24137.JPG

24142 also did train heating duties in my home town of Worcester

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This is my version of 24 141, last original boxed version running in 1976. Unfortunately it was supplied with four vac pipes and only one white air pipe, so may I ask if there is anyone out there not going to use theirs and are willing to part with them to pm me please.

723125166_PICT0023(3).JPG.cb9ffd3ae83b17d7405aa4eff332e759.JPG985591447_PICT0025(2).JPG.eaf9bbe791b642f90e535072affcbefb.JPG

Thanks Paul.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Picked mine up last week, first loco purchase of 2020 as spare £ very much now pointed in the direction of my fishing activities, plus new summer house and kitchen! Realistically very rare in the Bristol area, although around 1974 there was rumours of an unidentified Crewe based boxed 24/1 reaching Bristol on a Xmas parcels service. They may have been more frequent than this , but remember the 1975 cull very well, which put pay to all that.

Just looked at my 1975 spotting notes, first visit to Crewe on 3/4/75, saw 24 134/142/143, so maybe renumber to one of these after checking for liveries at the time. Oh for a time machine, I saw 11 active LMR based 24s that day.

Lovely model, but itching for a renumber and back date the 0O00 post 1976 headcodes. Must finish my other Bachmann 24/1 and 25/0 conversions based on brassmasters bits.

Neil 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, Downendian said:

Picked mine up last week, first loco purchase of 2020 as spare £ very much now pointed in the direction of my fishing activities, plus new summer house and kitchen! Realistically very rare in the Bristol area, although around 1974 there was rumours of an unidentified Crewe based boxed 24/1 reaching Bristol on a Xmas parcels service. They may have been more frequent than this , but remember the 1975 cull very well, which put pay to all that.

Just looked at my 1975 spotting notes, first visit to Crewe on 3/4/75, saw 24 134/142/143, so maybe renumber to one of these after checking for liveries at the time. Oh for a time machine, I saw 11 active LMR based 24s that day.

Lovely model, but itching for a renumber and back date the 0O00 post 1976 headcodes. Must finish my other Bachmann 24/1 and 25/0 conversions based on brassmasters bits.

Neil 

Fishing Neil? Whatever next? Here’s my modelling activity this afternoon ready for some social distancing tomorrow....

C2EC15E1-7410-4836-A456-6EBC46961A82.jpeg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GRUNFOS said:

This is my version of 24 141, last original boxed version running in 1976. Unfortunately it was supplied with four vac pipes and only one white air pipe, so may I ask if there is anyone out there not going to use theirs and are willing to part with them to pm me please.

723125166_PICT0023(3).JPG.cb9ffd3ae83b17d7405aa4eff332e759.JPG985591447_PICT0025(2).JPG.eaf9bbe791b642f90e535072affcbefb.JPG

Thanks Paul.

141 for my fleet too....

• Like 1

Why thank you kindly.

I used 'Precision Decals' which are my favoured product for this application.

Please feel free to check out my hybrid Class 85 similarly treated in the Class 85 thread!