Bachmann headcode box 24

robertcwp

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, sulzer71 said:

Nice , is that's all that's needed to convert it? i was contemplating 003 myself but also 007

See @Porcy Mane's post back up the page....

Exhaust arrangement dependant on your time frame - good luck in identifying whats right. the roof shot of D5153 is the best I have seen, early arrangement with silencer unlike the blue model - both the green Bachmann locos have the earlier silencer fitted arrangement

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Phil Bullock said:

See @Porcy Mane's post back up the page....

Exhaust arrangement dependant on your time frame - good luck in identifying whats right. the roof shot of D5153 is the best I have seen, early arrangement with silencer unlike the blue model - both the green Bachmann locos have the earlier silencer fitted arrangement

Phil , from the few pics i can find of 007 it appears to have the same style as being modelled here for my time frame , i may be wrong as i know little about 24s and early 25s as most were gone by the time i was taking an interest in railways

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, sulzer71 said:

Nice , is that's all that's needed to convert it? i was contemplating 003 myself but also 007

Shaken but not stirred then? Have you seen this page?

https://www.derbysulzers.com/5157.html

Not clear from there but probably later arrangement by TOPs era....

2 minutes ago, giz said:

Was 25003 the only one to keep it's gangway doors along with original headcode boxes, they're noted as still present in 1974?

Picture on flickr shows it with doors sealed in 75 shortly after overhaul but also shortly before withdrawal 

1 minute ago, Phil Bullock said:

Colourail and Rail Photoprints may also be worth exploring....

Its always fun trying to find a loco that matches the model in the period you want!

Thanks Phil , i still have some research to do , from what i can see with the few modifications it's good for 007 for my modelling period just need to decide whether to get one to convert into a West Highland 24/1 or wait fair the Suttons one , decisions decisions 

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, sulzer71 said:

Thanks Phil , i still have some research to do , from what i can see with the few modifications it's good for 007 for my modelling period just need to decide whether to get one to convert into a West Highland 24/1 or wait fair the Suttons one , decisions decisions 

Slightly OT but I thought you might like this picture of 25007 as you mentioned it in your post.

Weekend rest

Douglas

2 hours ago, sulzer71 said:

No such thing as a West Highland 24/1, in fairness.  The Inverness fleet migrated to the Far North by '71(from the Highland Main Line etc) and didn't feature on Eastfield diagrams.

7 minutes ago, 'CHARD said:

No such thing as a West Highland 24/1, in fairness.  The Inverness fleet migrated to the Far North by '71(from the Highland Main Line etc) and didn't feature on Eastfield diagrams.

That's what i meant , head up the rear currently lol

• Funny 1

1 minute ago, sulzer71 said:

That's what i meant , head up the rear currently lol

A side-effect of the times we are living through, I'm fairly sure!

Stay well, stay free!

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

Shaken but not stirred then? Have you seen this page?

https://www.derbysulzers.com/5157.html

Not clear from there but probably later arrangement by TOPs era....

From the above site;

Derby received 5157 during June for repair. Possibly during this visit the locomotive received a cab roof at the 'A' end with the sloped 'wings'.

Pedantically it received not just a roof but a replacement cab which happened to have that style of box.

Derby did component overhaul exchanges on cabs, amongst other things.

Mike.

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

From the above site;

Derby received 5157 during June for repair. Possibly during this visit the locomotive received a cab roof at the 'A' end with the sloped 'wings'.

Pedantically it received not just a roof but a replacement cab which happened to have that style of box.

Mike.

Then 2 years later at Glasgow for a cab repair , i cannot find pictures of it during the period i'll be modelling it with the winged headcode boxes so did it receive yet another cab in 72??

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, sulzer71 said:

Then 2 years later at Glasgow for a cab repair , i cannot find pictures of it during the period i'll be modelling it with the winged headcode boxes so did it receive yet another cab in 72??

I wouldn't have thought so, replacement cabs were only done at Derby and then only on heavy general repairs, (the one where the loco is stripped down to its bare bones), it would only be a re-panel job at Glasgow, if it needed more then it would have been sent to Derby. I think you are safe assuming it remained the same on release.

Mike.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

From the above site;

Mike.

Pictures I've seen it seemed to have the smaller windscreens 

Wasn't there a disc 24 that also got the later roof? I would think the horns would have been left under the buffer beams on this save a bit of plumbing 

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, russ p said:

Pictures I've seen it seemed to have the smaller windscreens 

Wasn't there a disc 24 that also got the later roof? I would think the horns would have been left under the buffer beams on this save a bit of plumbing 

In later days when there weren't so many Sulzer 2s in service so not passing through works so regularly the component exchange programme ended, then there were part repairs done which gave rise to anomalies like you mention.

Of course, even in the days of component exchange, if a loco came in that had a damaged roof then it could quite well have a replacement from a dissimilar cabbed loco, but the idea was to do full cab swaps in the works to speed up throughput of locomotives.

Mike.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

From the above site;

Mike.

Cheers Mike

If she did she lost it again...perhaps in the 1972 cab rebuild? No evidence in later shots....

16 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

Cheers Mike

If she did she lost it again...perhaps in the 1972 cab rebuild? No evidence in later shots....

Exactly what i said Phil , i can't find any pics of her after that with winged style headcode box

• Agree 1

5157/25007 had the cab replaced at No1 end in 1972. I have a photo of it at Glasgow Open Day on 16/09/72 showing No1 end cab with accident damage, but still the original style headcode box. Below is a photo of it fresh out of works on Flickr in 1973

When it was fitted with an original cab again is a bit of a mystery as it visited Derby Works in both 1975 and 1976, but it had been replaced by January 1977, when the photo below, also on Flickr was taken.

Hope this info helps.

Paul J.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

14 minutes ago, Swindon 123 said:

5157/25007 had the cab replaced at No1 end in 1972. I have a photo of it at Glasgow Open Day on 16/09/72 showing No1 end cab with accident damage, but still the original style headcode box. Below is a photo of it fresh out of works on Flickr in 1973

When it was fitted with an original cab again is a bit of a mystery as it visited Derby Works in both 1975 and 1976, but it had been replaced by January 1977, when the photo below, also on Flickr was taken.

Hope this info helps.

Paul J.

Those are different ends; No.1 and No.2!

17 minutes ago, 'CHARD said:

Those are different ends; No.1 and No.2!

If you look carefully at photo 2 you can see the original style headcode box in place.  Failing that there is this one that is a few months later, but the loco has been out of works a while, so not a recent replacement.

British Rail class 25 diesel locomotive 25007, Carlisle. 1977

Paul J.

• Like 3

On 30/03/2020 at 21:50, aureol40012 said:

Completely ruins the model? Really? Nothing like a bit of hyperbole to make a point ;-)

Calm down people.

With all that is going on in the world, I see no reason for silliness.

So we disagree, fine. It's not really "that" important is it...

• Agree 2