Bachmann headcode box 24

robertcwp

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, iak said:

Calm down people.

With all that is going on in the world, I see no reason for silliness.

So we disagree, fine. It's not really "that" important is it...

Hi Ian

I read your list and thought it was a fair comparison. It has not deterred me from buying 2 Bachmann   class 24s with headcode boxes. On the same day I bought a SLW two tone green class 24. If my new Bachmann locos are as reliable as the older models that would be great. Since I got my layout up and running two years ago my older Bachmann type 2s have been running on every session apart for the one I'm playing with now (it is all steam, nothing wrong with the Bo-Bos). It is good that there are people who take the time to notice manufacturers short comings as that over the years has resulted in better models but it is not worth getting one's knickers in a twist as this is supposed to be a fun hobby. 

When on the front of a moving 6 coach non gangway train my Hornby class 24 conversion looks as good as any other Sulzer model. It is when it is stationary next to another model that you see I did my best.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, sulzer71 said:

Took the plunge and ordered 2 x 24137's for conversion to 25/0's , after aquiring 2 x SLW Class 24's last night i need to find an equally impressive sound/speaker set up for the 25/0's now 

Have got some different speakers on order for my 24 will let you know how we get on....

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

Have got some different speakers on order for my 24 will let you know how we get on....

Cheers Phil , if i can find a set up that has the lown down sulzer drubbing like the slw 24 i'll be happy

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, sulzer71 said:

Cheers Phil , if i can find a set up that has the lown down sulzer drubbing like the slw 24 i'll be happy

Even a standard speaker can give you this if well installed....I get too much top end on the Bachmann 24 installation hence need to change

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, paul 27 said:

I cannot remove the body on mine all six screws removed seems to be glued solid at both ends,

any one else had this problem and how did they solve this or is it best to return.

Hi Paul just checking - the screws are hidden under the bogie frames not the obviously visible ones....

Cheers

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, paul 27 said:

I cannot remove the body on mine all six screws removed seems to be glued solid at both ends,

any one else had this problem and how did they solve this or is it best to return.

I had this problem until I realised that the four main screws are behind the bogies.  Those other 4 are searing something else.

Once the right screws are out the body just drops off easy.

Doug

33 minutes ago, paul 27 said:

What a stupid design not easy to access thanks for the replies.

Guess you did the man thing and didn't read the instructions. :smile_mini2: 

They're quite concise.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

On 31/03/2020 at 15:53, G567281 said:

Have you by any chance removed the wheelsets ?.

Sorry for  a delay in rely but I've just picked up on your post.

Looks like for EM & P4, wheel-sets for the earlier model are different. Besides the axles now running in hornblocks, the final drive gear is 1 mm less in overall diameter and has fifteen teeth as opposed to fourteen on the earlier models. The gear-teeth now have a slight helix to them whereas the earlier gear was straight cut.

For some reason Bachmann have chosen to fix the metal bogie centres to the outer plastic frame with two additional self tappers in addition to the two end clips as used on the earlier type bogies. I've no idea why?

Good news is the brake blocks are a prototypical distance apart for those of us that play with the wider gauges.  The original wheel-sets should pull out to EM gauge but it will be touch & go whether any material will need to be removed from the inside of the main bogie frame.

Picture sez a thousand words & all that.  The Bachmann bogie bits are bounded in red & there's a P4 Ultrascale Class 24  wheel-set for the early Bachmann in there for good measure.

630435842_Bmann-2020-24-021-EditSmII.jpg.de634f5929b303e76cfcdaf82bc06cfa.jpg

P

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Well, with most of the train playing world confined to home, apart from those carrying out potentially life risking essential tasks, hows about a game of, "Spot the Difference"?  (apart from the obvious headcode panel).

1st up. SLW top, latest B'mann middle and early B'mann 24 at bottom.

1115059090_Bmann-2020-24-012-EditSm.jpg.8fcde2713765ed74410b392008a29731.jpg

Next up; SLW top, latest B'mann middle and early B'mann 24 to bottom.

(The SLW body has maskol applied to most roof apertures in readiness for a bit of air-brushing)

631037031_Bmann-2020-24-014-EditSm.jpg.ef233088ebeaca8690ad679bd09dd37f.jpg

Here we have; SLW at picture left, latest B'mann middle and early B'mann 24 at right hand side.

670023134_Bmann-2020-24-034-EditSm.jpg.b16c997ec8a78132617b78745a41a2bf.jpg

Finally; SLW cab mouldings are the two to the left, latest Bachmann the other two.

685544471_Bmann-2020-24-007-EditSm.jpg.b964ba207a4ae033b21258517dbc7442.jpg

:smile_mini:

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 4

On 23/03/2020 at 14:56, Downendian said:

Picked mine up last week, first loco purchase of 2020 as spare £ very much now pointed in the direction of my fishing activities, plus new summer house and kitchen! Realistically very rare in the Bristol area, although around 1974 there was rumours of an unidentified Crewe based boxed 24/1 reaching Bristol on a Xmas parcels service. They may have been more frequent than this , but remember the 1975 cull very well, which put pay to all that.

Just looked at my 1975 spotting notes, first visit to Crewe on 3/4/75, saw 24 134/142/143, so maybe renumber to one of these after checking for liveries at the time. Oh for a time machine, I saw 11 active LMR based 24s that day.

Lovely model, but itching for a renumber and back date the 0O00 post 1976 headcodes. Must finish my other Bachmann 24/1 and 25/0 conversions based on brassmasters bits.

Neil 

How much are you now regretting the £££s spent on fishing? i spent a good couple of grand on carping stuff last year to add to what i already had with the intention of getting back into it , last time i went was November 2016! now considering getting rid of all my gear as too interested in model railways lol

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, sulzer71 said:

How much are you now regretting the £££s spent on fishing? i spent a good couple of grand on carping stuff last year to add to what i already had with the intention of getting back into it , last time i went was November 2016! now considering getting rid of all my gear as too interested in model railways lol

Fluff chucking for trout for me! No bait - and if the gear - and lunch - doesnt go in my waistcoat pockets it doesnt come with! 

"The Gods do not deduct from a man's allotted span the hours spent fishing"  - allegedly an ancient Babylonian Proverb! Were they looking for reasons not to mow the lawn too? And does the same apply to railway modelling?

Dont have quite as many fishing rods as model locos.....

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, sulzer71 said:

Well more enforced time on the layout during the lockdown, including a new extended siding for the ballast spoil tip. I think I can envisage a ballast working from the LMR with catfish wagons and Crewe based 24s or three! 

Still can't wait to get back to the fishing, I'm on the committee of a local Angling club, and have been very active in getting our main lakes dam repaired courtesy of a sport England grant.  

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Downendian said:

Well more enforced time on the layout during the lockdown, including a new extended siding for the ballast spoil tip. I think I can envisage a ballast working from the LMR with catfish wagons and Crewe based 24s or three! 

Still can't wait to get back to the fishing, I'm on the committee of a local Angling club, and have been very active in getting our main lakes dam repaired courtesy of a sport England grant.  

I have had to put my 009 layout to one side as I need some 5mm ply that I don’t have and can’t justify the 50 mile round trip to get it.

Got my shunting plank back out and getting on with the scenic work, but it isn’t what I wanted. At least my SLW 24s can come out to play. 

Roy

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

23 hours ago, Downendian said:

Iv'e just caved and ordered a 3rd one , contemplating turning it into a scottish one complete with tablet catcher instead of waiting for the SLW one

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hi all,

A few pages ago I enquired if there were any spare white  air that were not going to be used by anyone. Bachmann kindly sent me a set but they were for the original 24, many thanks to them for there prompt service. So may I ask again if there are any spare pipes out there to purchase to finish my 24 141.

Many thanks Paul.

• RMweb Gold

Sorry Paul none here - did you let Bacchy know they sent the wrong parts?

Been tinkering with mine again and a huge vote of thanks to Bachmann - we have reverted to tried and tested wiper pick ups rather than the axle bush system used on the latest 40s and 43s - which led to the non conductive grease affair! This arrangement is far less likely to have issues in my experience.

Have also installed two of the slim speakers as suggested by @Richard Croft back up the thread - havent quite got that deep sulzer throb that the SLW 24 has but there is certainly much more base there than with the original installation - and of course it is a different sound file (Legomanbiffo) to the one SLW have used no not like for like.  So thanks all round!

Photo of speaker installation attached.

BB626964-E824-4FC2-8BBC-8B094D4E2135.jpeg

Edited by Phil Bullock
Photo added
  • Thanks 1

One of my new arrivals last night investigating a noisy motor , also managed to break off one of the wires to the rear lights and had to use a piece of replacement wire to rectify it! , i'm going to try persuade Richard at Roads and Rails to have a crack at getting an EM2 in if he's feeling brave enough to hard wire it :D 

IMG_20200407_181258.jpg

On 03/04/2020 at 01:55, Porcy Mane said:

Well, with most of the train playing world confined to home, apart from those carrying out potentially life risking essential tasks, hows about a game of, "Spot the Difference"?  (apart from the obvious headcode panel).

(The SLW body has maskol applied to most roof apertures in readiness for a bit of air-brushing)

Here we have; SLW at picture left, latest B'mann middle and early B'mann 24 at right hand side.

Finally; SLW cab mouldings are the two to the left, latest Bachmann the other two.

P

it's good to see this comparison. i was worried that the face and rake of the window pillar would look wrong on the Bachmann but i think, in the main, it compares favourably with the SLW although the SLW, to my mind, comes out top. 

• Agree 1

On 03/04/2020 at 01:55, Porcy Mane said:

P

Porcy Mane , did you buy the SLW one new? if so were the bodyside grilles always like that or has paint rubbed off through handling? Cheers

Bought new.

No paint has rubbed off the smaller bodyside grills. There's some Moiré effect when viewing the smaller image but if you check it on full resolution you'll see the full Darlington silver is all intact.

Hth

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
Insert an F!

18 hours ago, Porcy Mane said:

Bought new.

No paint has rubbed off the smaller bodyside grills. There's some Moiré effect when viewing the smaller image but if you check it on full resolution you'll see the full Darlington silver is all intact.

Hth

P

Ok , it's just i have a couple and thats exactly what the grilles are like , i was assured both loco's were new but i wasn't sure if they were play worn eg someone picking them up where the grilles are