Bachmann headcode box 24

robertcwp

On 07/05/2020 at 21:38, Michael Delamar said:

Thanks I wasn't aware, I have 2 on order arriving soon.

I used a pair of Heljan black ones, as the Bachmann ones are the usual NEM versions which interfere with all the buffer beam detailing and they don't look the best either.

• Agree 1

Here is one modified to economy green with full yellow ends and later exhaust:

49920803257_9e84882bdb_c.jpgP1080732am by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

The photo shows up a weakness of the Bachmann model, which is the prominent join between body and valancing. Not really noticeable from normal viewing angles and distances though. 

This one should have a data panel but I don't have any suitable transfers.  5142 also lost the middle bit of valancing whilst in this livery but the Bachmann ones don't come off in pieces so my version has the full valancing in place.

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, robertcwp said:

Here is one modified to economy green with full yellow ends and later exhaust:

49920803257_9e84882bdb_c.jpgP1080732am by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

The photo shows up a weakness of the Bachmann model, which is the prominent join between body and valancing. Not really noticeable from normal viewing angles and distances though. 

This one should have a data panel but I don't have any suitable transfers.  5142 also lost the middle bit of valancing whilst in this livery but the Bachmann ones don't come off in pieces so my version has the full valancing in place.

Precision Labels do some excellent class specific data panels Robert - you specify what you want on them

No connection other than a satisfied customer....

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

6 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

Precision Labels do some excellent class specific data panels Robert - you specify what you want on them

No connection other than a satisfied customer....

Thanks, I shall investigate.

• 3 weeks later...
On 20/06/2020 at 21:08, JPinza55 said:

My DCC Class 24 runs very jerkily right from coming out of the box, even coming to a halt on certain areas of track. Do the motor need lubricating? Wheels cleaned? Or could it be something else?

I have heard there may be issues with the contacts on the wheels not touching correctly on some models , maybe that could be the problem? 

• Informative/Useful 1

• 4 weeks later...

Sandbox question, are they easily removed? As I had a thought about doing a swap off a spare 25 chassis. The other alternative would be fill out the instep with plasticard/filler on the existing sandbox and gently sand a flush front. I would also like to know if the boiler compartment grill is a popout moulding similar to the older 24/25. I intend to do a blue pre TOPS 25/0 conversion and many had the grill visible but the bodyside footsteps plated. Looking at the photo of D5140 I like the partial skirting, how was it done? I had an idea of making a sort of two or three layer stepped sandwich and then trying to sand the curve . My blue loco is in the post so hopefully once it's on the bench I'll get a better idea of how to progress. Obvious mods include boiler water tank removal, reposition main res and control airpipes and remove the boiler filler hatch, looking for photos of the hatch area, I'm sure someone will point out others.

Edited by w124bob
add boiler filler

31 minutes ago, w124bob said:

Sandbox question, are they easily removed?

Separate moulding but mine were well glued via spigots to the sideframe. Levering the sandboxes from the frame meant the spigots bought it. I made new spigots from stryene rod glued into drillings in the sandbox.

31 minutes ago, w124bob said:

I would also like to know if the boiler compartment grill is a popout moulding similar to the older 24/25.

The grill is no longer a separate moulding. It is integral to the body.

• Thanks 1

On 23/04/2020 at 13:18, MrB said:

I recently had a go at a wee conversion to a Scottish region 24.

Looking at the above posts I could have done a better job of the headcodes

Regards

Roy

20200413_122735.jpg

20200413_122802.jpg

Hi Mr B

Great work on your conversion!  out of interest where did get the window frames over the tablet catcher? 

as I plan to do a couple of Scottish class 24/1 for my upcoming layout.

Thanks Dave:)

6 minutes ago, David13 said:

Hi Mr B

Great work on your conversion!  out of interest where did get the window frames over the tablet catcher? 

as I plan to do a couple of Scottish class 24/1 for my upcoming layout.

Thanks Dave:)

Hi Dave,

Thank you for the kind words.

The window frames are just drawn on with a silver marker pen.

Regards

Roy

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Whilst weathering and renumbering my blue example I was surprised at just how easy the numbers/double arrow came off. Barely more than a few wipes with a cotton bud dipped in brush cleaner, by far the softest printing I've come across.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, w124bob said:

I was surprised at just how easy the numbers/double arrow

Whilst sorting out the nose/buffer beam crease on mine, numbers, light grey body side & guttering stripes, BR shields etc. all lifted to some degree under general handling*.

Be careful boys.

* Not a complaint. It makes renumbering a cinch.

• 4 weeks later...
On 23/04/2020 at 13:18, MrB said:

I recently had a go at a wee conversion to a Scottish region 24.

Looking at the above posts I could have done a better job of the headcodes

Regards

Roy

20200413_122735.jpg

20200413_122802.jpg

Hi Roy

Did you replace those windows above tablet catchers with those from a 25?

Regards 

Dave

14 minutes ago, sulzer71 said:

Hi Roy

Did you replace those windows above tablet catchers with those from a 25?

Regards 

Dave

Roy answered up-thread; he applied silver marker-pen to represent the Highland Baby-Sulzer driver's window frame.

Just now, 'CHARD said:

Roy answered up-thread; he applied silver marker-pen to represent the Highland Baby-Sulzer driver's window frame.

Hi Chard 

I saw that but it appears that it has different sized windows on opposite ends as per Highland 24/1 whereas the Baccy model has same size windows as far as i know? (BTW this is Dave you bought that body from with the Brassmasters roofs)

1 hour ago, sulzer71 said:

Hi Chard 

I saw that but it appears that it has different sized windows on opposite ends as per Highland 24/1 whereas the Baccy model has same size windows as far as i know? (BTW this is Dave you bought that body from with the Brassmasters roofs)

Hiya, I zoomed in on the photo and from what I can make out he has removed the upright dividing bar, and inserted a new piece of glazing, filed to fit, and painted the frame with the silver pen, to represent the window having been slid forward and thus in the open position.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 'CHARD said:

Hiya, I zoomed in on the photo and from what I can make out he has removed the upright dividing bar, and inserted a new piece of glazing, filed to fit, and painted the frame with the silver pen, to represent the window having been slid forward and thus in the open position.

Chard , i think your'e right there

17 hours ago, sulzer71 said:

Chard , i think your'e right there

I did exactly that guys, did the same at the other end too. I used the existing glazing and filed it to fit.

Regards 

Roy

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Should be "fuel brown" mikey, its part of the refuel system, the other not sure would have to look on 081 but could be an inspection lamp socket...i don't think its air related anyway......it might be the fuel sender for the internal fuel gauge 

Edit again...

Should the fuel gauge be there as I can't find pics of a 24 with an external fuel gauge...could not be looking hard enough though....

edit again :)

24137 did have external fuel gauges so Bachmann have that bit correct, but not all 24/1s had them

Edited by pheaton