Bachmann headcode box 24

robertcwp

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, JPinza55 said:

My Class 24 is really jerky when running on DCC, but is fine on DC. How can this be resolved? Is this an issue with the pickups? 

When you say jerky do you mean it stops and won't start again without a prod (in which case Phil's answer above would be my first port) or does it run but poorly in which case I would look at my decoder instructions and consider whether it is optimised for the mechanism in your model. In my experience Bachmann chips can be very pernickety in this respect but are corrected by the changing of one CV as per the instruction leaflet.

On 05/10/2020 at 14:22, MikeParkin65 said:

When you say jerky do you mean it stops and won't start again without a prod (in which case Phil's answer above would be my first port) or does it run but poorly in which case I would look at my decoder instructions and consider whether it is optimised for the mechanism in your model. In my experience Bachmann chips can be very pernickety in this respect but are corrected by the changing of one CV as per the instruction leaflet.

The model just runs poorly. Can you recommend any CV's that could be changed from say default?

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, JPinza55 said:

The model just runs poorly. Can you recommend any CV's that could be changed from say default?

Suggest you post a question in the DCC forum. You'll need to say what decoder is fitted as default CV's vary between manufacturer's and even sometimes between chips from the same brand. I haven't got the latest Bachmann 24 (yet) and my two old version models are both sound fitted so their CV's are unlikely to help you. Good news is that it does sound like a settings issue rather than a problem with the loco. 

• 1 month later...

Not of any relevance to me but I recall quite a gushing of appeal for the headcode boxed 24 for Scottish highiands operations with the car headlamps in the former gangway doors.  The models are out from Bachmann now, but the cab interiors appear to be glued in on the first series, so fitting the headlights is going to need surgery.  This suggests to me that Bachmann haven't intended there to be headlights for a while yet, but I wonder if the lighting circuitry has been designed to allow for a headlight function in the future.

This is a bit of a surprise to me given how popular these might be to Scottish modellers and collectors.  Having said that I also cannot recall Heljan releasing a class 26 with the same feature.  

57 minutes ago, Covkid said:

Not of any relevance to me but I recall quite a gushing of appeal for the headcode boxed 24 for Scottish highiands operations with the car headlamps in the former gangway doors.  The models are out from Bachmann now, but the cab interiors appear to be glued in on the first series, so fitting the headlights is going to need surgery.  This suggests to me that Bachmann haven't intended there to be headlights for a while yet, but I wonder if the lighting circuitry has been designed to allow for a headlight function in the future.

This is a bit of a surprise to me given how popular these might be to Scottish modellers and collectors.  Having said that I also cannot recall Heljan releasing a class 26 with the same feature.  

The Bachmann model is a London Midland 24, if you want that Scottish feel go for SLW

https://sulzertype2.com/model-catalogue/

They have headcode box /  headlight models to pre-order.

1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

The Bachmann model is a London Midland 24, if you want that Scottish feel go for SLW

https://sulzertype2.com/model-catalogue/

They have headcode box /  headlight models to pre-order.

I am a London Midland modeller so have a GSYP one, and a BFYE on order.  Not an ScR modeller so not an issue to me, but was merely speculating on the car headlights.  Are you expecting Bachmann to produce a ScR version, or leave the market to SLW ?   

1 hour ago, Covkid said:

I am a London Midland modeller so have a GSYP one, and a BFYE on order.  Not an ScR modeller so not an issue to me, but was merely speculating on the car headlights.  Are you expecting Bachmann to produce a ScR version, or leave the market to SLW ?   

The headlights were only on Scottish highland engines were they not, I thought it was specific to the routes out of Inverness.

Bachmann were quite clear they would be doing the LM versions when SLW announced their plans for 24/1s - perhaps it was a way to put air between each other and not directly compete on two new models of the same class.

Maybe one day they will do something I'm not sure what other differences there were other than the headlights and that might be behind the reason for each company to plump behind one version.

4 hours ago, Covkid said:

The models are out from Bachmann now, but the cab interiors appear to be glued in on the first series, so fitting the headlights is going to need surgery.  This suggests to me that Bachmann haven't intended there to be headlights for a while yet, but I wonder if the lighting circuitry has been designed to allow for a headlight function in the future.

The PCB's and moulded light masks for the front/rear  cab are, unlike the earlier B'mann 24's, independent of the cab interior mouldings and are easily removed without interfering with the cab interiors. With the end PCB's being separate it would be simple and low cost (to Bachmann) to design PCBs for alternative nose lighting arrangements.

The main PCB also makes provision for fitting of LED's and associate resistors for items such as engine room lighting.

923228082_Bmann-2020-24-040-EditSm.jpg.e9b6d7f349123973d96bf483cd42c4ef.jpg

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
Being spaced oot!
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 15/11/2020 at 13:23, Covkid said:

I’m not betting on it, before SLW’s.

I do think SLW will come up with a cracker though.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

My pre TOPS class 25/0 conversion, water tank removed, fuel tank modified to suit the final few 25/0's, roof detail altered and the body side steps very carefully opened up and reinstated. I had to get at the spigots retaining the water tank from under the motor, two were accessible and carefully drilled out. I could then pop the tank off from underneath, the steps involved a lot of drilling and careful filing, the hand holds are thin slithers of micro strip.

The next one will be a simple renumber to 5150 as it appeared on the ScR, four double arrows but at some point it was given a replacement cab door complete with small double arrow( one from a cut down Railfreight logo just fits).

20201120_141441.jpg

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just bought one of these sound fitted. Superb model and the quality of the Bachmann mechanism is fully exploited by the Zimo sound chip. All of the detail parts fitted without the need for fettling and the new style instructions show clearly where they should go (though it would have been helpful to have known which colour cock went where even though the holes are differently sized which helps). I think the speaker is perfectly adequate for home use - in fact it was loud enough on test in Monk Bar model shop. Overall very impressed with this new Type 2 and am now looking forward to the class 20.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 4 weeks later...

With my club now open again I took the opportunity to get some more photos of 5170 visiting Dewsbury Midland along with 5149, my rendition of 5149 was based on a picture taken at Bradfored circa '67 or '68 just before it went to the ScR. It was withdrawn in 1972 after fire damage. 5170 was also an ER loco around the same time. 

20210524_133524.jpg

20210524_134557.jpg

20210524_134514.jpg

Edited by w124bob
  • Like 5

On 26/04/2021 at 13:40, MikeParkin65 said:

it would have been helpful to have known which colour cock went where even though the holes are differently sized 

No.  Just no.

• Funny 11

• 5 months later...

For anyone contemplating a 25/0 conversion there is now an alternative to removing the water tank(see my conversion a few post ago). A full chassis swap with a 24035, this comes without boiler tank but obviously the roof detail still needs doing, there is also the different lighting for disc/headcode. The easiest way with this is to swap the entire 3 piece circuit boards over, the 2 cab sub boards have soldered connections which some might find ok to swap. It's just taken me about an hour to do the circuit board swap, most of that was for the numerous screws involved! This will give you a 24035 with a boiler tank, and a full set of fuel/water gauges, matching several real examples, I'm doing 24054 just before it was converted to a train heat loco, the 25/0 will go pre TOPS to 5154.

Edited by w124bob

24 minutes ago, w124bob said:

(see my conversion a few post ago)

Nice job. 

Being picky, D5170 had the late type headcode box (without horns) at the No.1 end when in green livery circa 1967 and retained that cab end after works visit for overhaul and repaint into blue.

P

1 hour ago, Porcy Mane said:

Nice job. 

Being picky, D5170 had the late type headcode box (without horns) at the No.1 end when in green livery circa 1967 and retained that cab end after works visit for overhaul and repaint into blue.

P

Oh b****r, I searched dozens of piccies and still missed that, now that I look closely at the Derbysulzers pic you can just make out the sloping side to the headcode housing. I'll just renumber it, that post has been up months too!

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...