robertcwp

Bachmann headcode box 24

Porcy Mane,

My 24/1 has yet to arrive in Canada.

Have you by any chance removed the wheelsets ?.

As I have Ultrascale EM wheelsets, I am curious to see if they can be used in this models with respect to the gear and press fitting the bearings back into the chassis block.

Kindest regards

Alan

19 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

From the above site;

Derby received 5157 during June for repair. Possibly during this visit the locomotive received a cab roof at the 'A' end with the sloped 'wings'.

Pedantically it received not just a roof but a replacement cab which happened to have that style of box.

Derby did component overhaul exchanges on cabs, amongst other things.

Mike.

Then 2 years later at Glasgow for a cab repair , i cannot find pictures of it during the period i'll be modelling it with the winged headcode boxes so did it receive yet another cab in 72??

4 minutes ago, sulzer71 said:

Then 2 years later at Glasgow for a cab repair , i cannot find pictures of it during the period i'll be modelling it with the winged headcode boxes so did it receive yet another cab in 72??

I wouldn't have thought so, replacement cabs were only done at Derby and then only on heavy general repairs, (the one where the loco is stripped down to its bare bones), it would only be a re-panel job at Glasgow, if it needed more then it would have been sent to Derby. I think you are safe assuming it remained the same on release.

Mike.

1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

From the above site;

Derby received 5157 during June for repair. Possibly during this visit the locomotive received a cab roof at the 'A' end with the sloped 'wings'.

Pedantically it received not just a roof but a replacement cab which happened to have that style of box.

Mike.

Pictures I've seen it seemed to have the smaller windscreens 

Wasn't there a disc 24 that also got the later roof? I would think the horns would have been left under the buffer beams on this save a bit of plumbing 

10 minutes ago, russ p said:

Pictures I've seen it seemed to have the smaller windscreens 

Wasn't there a disc 24 that also got the later roof? I would think the horns would have been left under the buffer beams on this save a bit of plumbing 

In later days when there weren't so many Sulzer 2s in service so not passing through works so regularly the component exchange programme ended, then there were part repairs done which gave rise to anomalies like you mention.

Of course, even in the days of component exchange, if a loco came in that had a damaged roof then it could quite well have a replacement from a dissimilar cabbed loco, but the idea was to do full cab swaps in the works to speed up throughput of locomotives.

Mike.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

From the above site;

Mike.

Cheers Mike

If she did she lost it again...perhaps in the 1972 cab rebuild? No evidence in later shots....

16 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

Cheers Mike

If she did she lost it again...perhaps in the 1972 cab rebuild? No evidence in later shots....

Exactly what i said Phil , i can't find any pics of her after that with winged style headcode box

• Agree 1

5157/25007 had the cab replaced at No1 end in 1972. I have a photo of it at Glasgow Open Day on 16/09/72 showing No1 end cab with accident damage, but still the original style headcode box. Below is a photo of it fresh out of works on Flickr in 1973

When it was fitted with an original cab again is a bit of a mystery as it visited Derby Works in both 1975 and 1976, but it had been replaced by January 1977, when the photo below, also on Flickr was taken.

Hope this info helps.

Paul J.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

14 minutes ago, Swindon 123 said:

5157/25007 had the cab replaced at No1 end in 1972. I have a photo of it at Glasgow Open Day on 16/09/72 showing No1 end cab with accident damage, but still the original style headcode box. Below is a photo of it fresh out of works on Flickr in 1973

When it was fitted with an original cab again is a bit of a mystery as it visited Derby Works in both 1975 and 1976, but it had been replaced by January 1977, when the photo below, also on Flickr was taken.

Hope this info helps.

Paul J.

Those are different ends; No.1 and No.2!

17 minutes ago, 'CHARD said:

Those are different ends; No.1 and No.2!

If you look carefully at photo 2 you can see the original style headcode box in place.  Failing that there is this one that is a few months later, but the loco has been out of works a while, so not a recent replacement.

British Rail class 25 diesel locomotive 25007, Carlisle. 1977

Paul J.

• Like 3

On 30/03/2020 at 21:50, aureol40012 said:

Completely ruins the model? Really? Nothing like a bit of hyperbole to make a point ;-)

Calm down people.

With all that is going on in the world, I see no reason for silliness.

So we disagree, fine. It's not really "that" important is it...

• Agree 2

9 hours ago, iak said:

Calm down people.

With all that is going on in the world, I see no reason for silliness.

So we disagree, fine. It's not really "that" important is it...

Hi Ian

I read your list and thought it was a fair comparison. It has not deterred me from buying 2 Bachmann   class 24s with headcode boxes. On the same day I bought a SLW two tone green class 24. If my new Bachmann locos are as reliable as the older models that would be great. Since I got my layout up and running two years ago my older Bachmann type 2s have been running on every session apart for the one I'm playing with now (it is all steam, nothing wrong with the Bo-Bos). It is good that there are people who take the time to notice manufacturers short comings as that over the years has resulted in better models but it is not worth getting one's knickers in a twist as this is supposed to be a fun hobby. 

When on the front of a moving 6 coach non gangway train my Hornby class 24 conversion looks as good as any other Sulzer model. It is when it is stationary next to another model that you see I did my best.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Took the plunge and ordered 2 x 24137's for conversion to 25/0's , after aquiring 2 x SLW Class 24's last night i need to find an equally impressive sound/speaker set up for the 25/0's now 

1 hour ago, sulzer71 said:

Took the plunge and ordered 2 x 24137's for conversion to 25/0's , after aquiring 2 x SLW Class 24's last night i need to find an equally impressive sound/speaker set up for the 25/0's now 

Have got some different speakers on order for my 24 will let you know how we get on....

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

Have got some different speakers on order for my 24 will let you know how we get on....

Cheers Phil , if i can find a set up that has the lown down sulzer drubbing like the slw 24 i'll be happy

4 minutes ago, sulzer71 said:

Cheers Phil , if i can find a set up that has the lown down sulzer drubbing like the slw 24 i'll be happy

Even a standard speaker can give you this if well installed....I get too much top end on the Bachmann 24 installation hence need to change

• Like 4

I cannot remove the body on mine all six screws removed seems to be glued solid at both ends,

any one else had this problem and how did they solve this or is it best to return.

19 minutes ago, paul 27 said:

I cannot remove the body on mine all six screws removed seems to be glued solid at both ends,

any one else had this problem and how did they solve this or is it best to return.

Hi Paul just checking - the screws are hidden under the bogie frames not the obviously visible ones....

Cheers

53 minutes ago, paul 27 said:

I had this problem until I realised that the four main screws are behind the bogies.  Those other 4 are searing something else.

Once the right screws are out the body just drops off easy.

Doug

What a stupid design not easy to access thanks for the replies.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, paul 27 said:

What a stupid design not easy to access thanks for the replies.

Guess you did the man thing and didn't read the instructions. :smile_mini2: 

They're quite concise.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

1 hour ago, Porcy Mane said:

Guess you did the man thing and didn't read the instructions. :smile_mini2: 

They're quite concise.

Nicely put.  They're accurate too.

• Agree 1

On 31/03/2020 at 15:53, G567281 said:

Have you by any chance removed the wheelsets ?.

Sorry for  a delay in rely but I've just picked up on your post.

Looks like for EM & P4, wheel-sets for the earlier model are different. Besides the axles now running in hornblocks, the final drive gear is 1 mm less in overall diameter and has fifteen teeth as opposed to fourteen on the earlier models. The gear-teeth now have a slight helix to them whereas the earlier gear was straight cut.

For some reason Bachmann have chosen to fix the metal bogie centres to the outer plastic frame with two additional self tappers in addition to the two end clips as used on the earlier type bogies. I've no idea why?

Good news is the brake blocks are a prototypical distance apart for those of us that play with the wider gauges.  The original wheel-sets should pull out to EM gauge but it will be touch & go whether any material will need to be removed from the inside of the main bogie frame.

Picture sez a thousand words & all that.  The Bachmann bogie bits are bounded in red & there's a P4 Ultrascale Class 24  wheel-set for the early Bachmann in there for good measure.

630435842_Bmann-2020-24-021-EditSmII.jpg.de634f5929b303e76cfcdaf82bc06cfa.jpg

P

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

P.

Many thanks for taking the time to respond to my query.

Reading  your earlier post implied they may have been a change in design which you have kindly confirmed.

As always, your photograph is extremely helpful.  I will pull the existing wheels out first.  Ultrascale EM wheelsets at 16.5 b to b are 21mm outside to outside.  Inside frame dimension is 22.00 mm. It looks as if the Bachmann wheels will be slightly wider.  If this doesn’t work I will put the Exactoscale wheels on the Bachmann axles.

I feel a 25/0 or two are going to emerge.  Actually D515x and D515y of Thornaby pre SYWP.  

I hope Traction mag will be out digitally in a few hours time as there is an article pending on the Teesside 25’s.

Thanks again.  It’s always a pleasure reading your posts on RMweb.  I always pick up something.

Alan

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1