Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Quirky Poll

• Administrators

It's Christmas and we are all dreaming of those presents to be found under the tree. Obviously, everyone on RMweb is hoping for a train set, but what sort of train?

Earlier this year, we had the chance to vote for the serious contenders for future RTR model production, but what about the more off-beat potential items?

The Wishlist Poll team have put together a list of quirky contenders and supplied details below in case you want to more about each. At the bottom of this page, you'll find the link to the survey. Vote and we'll let you know the result in the new year.

Don’t forget…what you vote for must be items you would realistically wish to buy at some time in the future.

ACV Lightweight Diesel Railcar

Ajax & Mars

Armstrong Whitworth D1

Aveling Porter Sirapite

Battle Space Turbo Car

Col. Stephens Ford Railmotor

Far Tottering & Oystercreek Railway

Gazelle

George Bennie Railplane

GER Decapod

Giraffe Car

GWR 0-6-4T Crane Tank

GWR Streamlined King & Castle

Harrison’s Hurricane

Holcroft-Anderson Recompression Loco

Hovertrain

Hythe Pier Tramway

Ivor the Engine

LEV 1

LMS No.6399 Fury

LMS Karrier Road-Railer

LMS Leyland Railbus

Lord Nelson during Indicating Trials

Maglev

Midland Railway Paget Loco

Michelin Railcar

North Staffordshire 4-cylinder 0-6-0T

Parry People Mover

Reid-MacLeod Steam Turbine

Reid-Ramsay Turbine Electric Loco

SR Schools Class in Mock-up Streamlining

Sentinel Gyro Electric Loco

Spooner Boat

Stephenson’s Rocket

Velocipede

Vote here

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Ivor for me too! 

Imagine the amazing DCC Sound project for him!

• Pshtacoff - Pshtacoff - Pshtacoff
  • Pawp Pawp
  • "Oh Jones, you're always getting overex - cited about everything."

etc, etc...

:smileclear:

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Several of the candidates are missing! There were 40 in the opening post, but only 34 in the voting list, with the 'missing in action' including the lovely 'Billy Ruffian' (Bellerophon) which is one of my 'wants' , ever since trips behind it on the K&WVR, with extra stops to blow up for a little more steam...

17 minutes ago, eastworld said:

Would the velocipede be motorised, and would it be DCC compatible?

Determined Cyclist Control?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• Administrators
36 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Several of the candidates are missing! There were 40 in the opening post, but only 34 in the voting list, with the 'missing in action' including the lovely 'Billy Ruffian' (Bellerophon) which is one of my 'wants' , ever since trips behind it on the K&WVR, with extra stops to blow up for a little more steam...

I think I picked up an old list when I set up the page. We'd agreed to shorten it before polling so I'll remove the excess in a minute. So no Bellerophoin this year, however, if something gets picked up from this list, we'll have space next year...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, truffy said:

Two more candidates for next year's poll:

LNER W1 10000 'Hush Hush'

SR Class 70 (Electric) http://www.semgonline.com/electric/class70_1.html

:drinks:

Hello Truffy

Those items are in 'the main Poll'. The Hush Hush was in The Top 50 and the Class 70 was High Polling.

Brian (on behalf of The 00 Poll Team)

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

38 minutes ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

So the "Fell" has become mainstream now........

It is in the main poll, and has one entity looking to see if there is enough interest for a RTR version (at least by them), so yes somewhat mainstream.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

Earlier this year, we had the chance to vote for the serious contenders for future RTR model production, but what about the more off-beat potential items?

Many thanks to all for this.  Even if they never see the light of day as a RTR model in the future it is interesting to see some of the items that have been made in the past, stuff that doesn't really happen these days.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

So the "Fell" has become mainstream now........

I've always thought it as being mainstream. As much as all the other prototypes such as Kestrel, Falcon, Hawk, Deltic, DP2, etc. were anyway. Maybe it's because I had the BR Fleet Survey books by Haresnape so the prototypes were always familiar. Same goes for some of the others such as Decapod and the Paget locomotive which were in the Observers book.

I would buy all the "real" ones if they were available, but will limit it to ones I really want such as the GWR crane tanks, Rocket and Fury.

One missing though and since it's Christmas...

sammy_meets_father_christmas_by_kodimart

Jason

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I'm a bit surprised that the Armstrong Whitworth D1 isn't already on Heljan's radar, given their seeming mission to model every experimental diesel that ever ran.

Ivor the Engine is already available in kit form for G scale.

Rocket is probably more mainstream, in the sense of much wished for, than many of the locos in the real mainstream poll. 

I do think that the old Triang "fun" range needs to come back, though, with a modern makeover. The giraffe car could be part of an all-new circus train, with TTS sound and various other animations. Imagine a lion roaring and an elephant trumpeting as the train goes round the oval! Instead of relying on a trip-switch by the side of the track to make the giraffe lower its head, a modern version could use a minature laser measuring device to detect an overhead obstruction. Although Hornby would probably have to deal with angry animal rights activists picketing their HQ to protest about them using animal abuse as a marketing tool!

The Battle Space turbo car, on the other hand, would be great as part of a new steampunk themed range. That kind of stuff has featured on GMRC, and there's at least one steampunk layout already on the exhibition circuit. I think ths would have a lot of potential as a crossover product.

Edited by MarkSG
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1