Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Quirky Poll

Hovertrain! I remember walking alongside the river in Eastrea in the early 70’s and seeing the track behind the fence, I thought it was wonderful and was so disappointed when I found out it had been cancelled.

Edited by Tony Davis
Poor spelling

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MarkSG said:

Rocket is probably more mainstream, in the sense of much wished for, than many of the locos in the real mainstream poll. 

Hello Mark

The definitions of 'mainstream' and 'quirky' will always be a tad blurred but our aim here was to list just some items that would probably never find a place in 'the main Poll'.

Surprisingly. Rocket is seldom if ever suggested to The Poll Team. I searched the results of 2019's Category 21 and couldn't find a single mention. I do, however, recall that a gentleman emailed The Team requesting it as he had seen our Press Release via the Railway Museum. I got the impression from the email that he wasn't what might loosely be called 'a mainstream modeller' but more someone who liked early railway history and the place Rocket occupies in that.

There are many strands to this vast hobby of ours!

It will be interesting to see what votes the loco garners in this Poll.

Brian (on behalf of The 00 Poll Team)

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I would think of Rocket as being mainstream. It is after all the only one of these that has been made RTR* and you can travel behind a replica. I would think as we get closer to 2030 then demand will grow. Hopefully.

A modern RTR version with a set of first class and open carriages would be an open goal IMO and would also sell to those that aren't necessarily railway modellers.

*Not including things like Battle Space and Giraffe Cars obviously.

Jason

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Quite a "quirky" poll - especially as mine was in Chinese!

(Good there were plenty of pictures and that I could understand "Ti Jiao" to submit my selection.)

Quirky.png.b00274c8861960d70cf910ee5ace0aa2.png

Kev.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

• Administrators
4 hours ago, MarkSG said:

The giraffe car could be part of an all-new circus train, with TTS sound and various other animations. Imagine a lion roaring and an elephant trumpeting as the train goes round the oval! Instead of relying on a trip-switch by the side of the track to make the giraffe lower its head

It wasn't a trip switch, there is an extra steel rail that you clip between the tracks and when the car passes over, the magnet in the mechanism is attracted and pulls the giraffe's head out of the way. And yes, I am a Tri-ang pedant. :P

Personally, I consder this mainstream as I own more of these than Mk1 coaches, or indeed, any other item of rolling stock (9 and counting).

• Like 4
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

No class 89 ?

LMR Lion would have been nice too

I’ve voted the Party People Mover, Rocket and Paget Locomotive

All 3 represent the best of garden shed engineering.

The Paget locomotive on the basis that Not many locos get to completely block a whole main line seized up for a day.. but imagine a model of this thing if it worked...

Rocket because you have to (though odds are evens on this in 2020)

but the PPM.. no matter what you think of it, it’s hard to say that this hasn’t been successful at what it does.

brilliant idea boys! Merry Christmas, but what are you going to do for April 1st?

Edited by adb968008
  • Thanks 1

There are some many wonderful pre-Grouping designs, but I guess they would all be 'mainstream'. What a fascinating collection though... And, there were a number of weird things that I hadn't heard of, so thank you for widening my knowledge.

I've always had a soft spot for GWR Broad Gauge - surely that can't be mainstream! Iron Duke and Fire Fly being two obvious candidates.

Also, 'conventional' crane tanks: could they be mainstream too? On second thoughts, although odd-looking, they aren't 'quirky'. 

A candidate for next year could include the 'original' Pacer - the Sadler Railcar, aka the Pacerailer...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacerailer

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, adb968008 said:

I’ve voted the Party People Mover

9 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

create the Ap and it will be bigger than Uber! Automatically arranges onward transport for the maximally loaded to the currently most happening party.

I was thinking hiring out the entire branch line for birthdays etc on sundays could have merit.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Ben Alder said:

On matters vaguely Highland related... what about P D's brothers personal taxi -The Bug.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LSWR_F9_class

Hello Ben Alder

Drummond's Bug has been in 'the main Poll' since 2018 where it was Middle Polling. It moved up to High Polling in 2019.

Brian (on behalf of The 00 Poll Team)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Some of these are not that much more quirky than some recent models proposed (Fell, GT3).

A Michelin for me. Where do I send the deposit payment? Marklin did do one for French HO in the 1990s. Sold quite well as I recall.

Michelin railcar.jpg

Edited by Joseph_Pestell
Add photo
  • Like 1