Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Quirky Poll

• RMweb Gold

Hello Joseph and everyone

As noted, whilst 'serious' in that we expect respondents to vote for what they would realistically wish to buy if a model were ever made, this Poll is 'a little bit of Christmas fun' and semantics shouldn't cloud your enjoyment.

Take if for what it is and see what the results say on 1 January.

All the best for Christmas Day to you all!

Brian (on behalf of The 00 Poll Team)

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 24/12/2019 at 18:49, newbryford said:

I almost read that as a badly timed "still no 158"...............................

Have we started again?

Edited by Vistisen
Correction of quote

• RMweb Gold

LEV1 , PPM and Boat, all float my boat! as it were.

LEV I  as it is always worth a Leyland, PPM as it saved me guarding the town car! Boat as I would like to see the DCC button for a gravity wind powered hand braked passenger carrying vehicle. esp the change direction choice! Sound should of course include the squeals of pleasure of the passengers and driver.

Festive greetings

Robert   

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Spooner's Boat for me!  Does it come with one of those pound shop battery fans as a propulsion system?  And how do you tack against a headwind on the Cob?

I'm drawn to Harrison's Hurricane as well; the thing was obviously never going to work and was a noble failure, exactly the sort of thing I'd have designed!  You can sort of see what he was getting at, but there is no tractive weight.  What is perhaps surprising is that another approach to the problem of getting the biggest driving wheels you could inside the loading gauge, Trevithick's 'Cornwall', actually worked rather well with the boiler beneath the driving axle.

A cool yule, y'all...

• Thanks 1

Thanks for including in the fun the ACV vehicles, with their several London area and London Underground connections.

For a future selection, how about the Adkins-Lewis Neverstop Railway vehicles? - several vehicles later repurposed as Ashover Light Railway coaches.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello Dave

As noted by Phil towards the start, there was a hiccup with the list.

We were going to list the Kitson-Still and Sentinel Gyro, but have held them over with some other items; if this year goes well - and people enjoy it - then we will consider another Quirky Poll for 2020.

Only just noticed this......

I've selected my favourites, but I was disappointed to see that though Collets plasticene-faired Castle and King got a mention, the equally preposterous streamlined B17s didn't!  Next time, perhaps?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 24/12/2019 at 08:12, Devo63 said:

How about for next year adding Dean's 4-2-4T? Something that could scarcely leave the shed without derailing must be quirky enough for a lot of people.

Lionel in three-rail does have an O gauge giraffe car, it may even have smoke and sound although I do not know where the smoke exits the car.

On 25/12/2019 at 07:53, Joseph_Pestell said:

Some of these are not that much more quirky than some recent models proposed (Fell, GT3).

A Michelin for me. Where do I send the deposit payment? Marklin did do one for French HO in the 1990s. Sold quite well as I recall.

Michelin railcar.jpg

This is one of my stalled projects at the moment- the Marklin model is of a Type 11, while the one I'm doing, trialled on the Oxford to Cambridge line was a Type 9. The railcars were tiny to start with, mixing H0 with 4mm might be pushing the tininess a bit far.

A type 22 was also trialled a few years later.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, Hroth said:

Only just noticed this......

I've selected my favourites, but I was disappointed to see that though Collets plasticene-faired Castle and King got a mention, the equally preposterous streamlined B17s didn't!  Next time, perhaps?

Hello Hroth

The B17/5s are more likely to find their way into 'the main Poll'. However, they haven't done so  yet as we are running beyond 'maximum permitted load' in the LNER Locos category and the class has seldom been requested. Maybe one day.

• Like 1