Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Quirky Poll

1 hour ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello everyone

Results - The Quirky Poll 2019 Results - The Quirky Poll 2019.pdf 83.34 kB · 19 downloads

Many thanks to all who took part as well as to Andy York and Phil Parker - much appreciated! Your comments have been noted and will be taken on board for any future Quirky Poll.

We hope you find the results interesting.

Brian (on behalf of The 00 Poll Team)

Thank you to the Poll Team - it's been fun!

• Thanks 1

Hello everyone

Results - The Quirky Poll 2019 Results - The Quirky Poll 2019.pdf 83.34 kB · 19 downloads

Many thanks to all who took part as well as to Andy York and Phil Parker - much appreciated! Your comments have been noted and will be taken on board for any future Quirky Poll.

We hope you find the results interesting.

Thank you to the Poll Team - it's been fun!

3 hours ago, Dungrange said:

Great to see the only two items that I voted (Rocket and the Parry People Mover) appearing near the top of this poll.  In the main poll each year, I tend to just vote for the items that few others want (mainly on-track plant and the like).

Anyway, there were quite a few strange options available in this poll, although I'd be surprised if any of them were ever deemed commercially viable.

I wonder about the Parry People Mover.

Obviously as a detailed model unlikely given how unique it is.

On the other hand, at a quick glance there doesn't appear to be a lot of detail bits - and the few that there are could be relatively easily added by anyone who cares.  Reasonably straightforward shape.

So maybe a simple, railroad style version, sold in a multitude of colourful liveries that could appeal to children (and even some adults), allowing sales that make it viable?  Then those that want could add the ladder, wiper, doorstep and lights themselves?

I mean, paired up with say a Ruston 48DS or any of the Class 0x diesels and you could create a modern day shunting plank with a passenger service in very little space.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Ivor the Engine

As I said before, the sound project for Ivor could be amazing - especially if the manufacturer could license sounds from the series with Oliver Postgate as Jones the Steam. There’s lovely.

I think Ivor was a narrow gauge loco, is that right? If so then maybe he should be O-16.5 so that there’s room for a decent speaker and all of us OO modellers could run him on our layouts for fun. Would that work? If so it would widen the potential market for him.

13 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

Ivor the Engine

As I said before, the sound project for Ivor could be amazing - especially if the manufacturer could license sounds from the series with Oliver Postgate as Jones the Steam. There’s lovely.

I think Ivor was a narrow gauge loco, is that right? If so then maybe he should be O-16.5 so that there’s room for a decent speaker and all of us OO modellers could run him on our layouts for fun. Would that work? If so it would widen the potential market for him.

We were having that discussion in another thread.

Some aspects point to narrow gauge whilst others suggest he was standard. Personally I've always considered it to be based on 1950s Talyllyn and Festiniog Railways seeing as it first came out about that time. Particularly as it's the Merioneth & Llansilly in the Top Left-hand Corner of Wales.

Jason

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

I think Ivor was a narrow gauge loco, is that right?

as Jason said discussed here, ( sorry but SG although no doubt heavily inspired by NG) ;) 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Great stuff though, thanks to the whole team for that bit of fun. I’ve always been surprised that Hornby didn’t redo Rocket as the OO and 3.5 inch ones are so popular on eBay. 

I’d buy all the top three! :) 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 2

On 24/12/2019 at 16:49, Steamport Southport said:

I would think of Rocket as being mainstream. It is after all the only one of these that has been made RTR* and you can travel behind a replica. I would think as we get closer to 2030 then demand will grow. Hopefully.

A modern RTR version with a set of first class and open carriages would be an open goal IMO and would also sell to those that aren't necessarily railway modellers.

*Not including things like Battle Space and Giraffe Cars obviously.

Jason

Rocket would be an obvious one for Bachmann, they’ve done a lot of other early locos/trains 

2 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

Your link takes me to a completed survey.  Try http://oakhamwarp.dinksurveys.com/Transport-Survey for anyone who wants to start at the beginning.  Extension of the existing system may be a great idea, but since I don't live in the area and know nothing about local transport options, there's not a lot of point in me completing the survey.   I would only buy one of the Parry People Movers for a freelance type micro layout, being shorter than the average DMU.

• RMweb Gold

Modern image (aka infernal combustion) machinery seems to have done quite well in the 'High Polling' section although I suppose the Decapod, 'Fury' and the 'King' & 'Castle' with attached bent tinwork could also have been described as 'modern image' in their own time.

Great fun thank you gentlemen of the Poll Team and RMweb.  The real amusement will no doubt arrive when somebody announces r-t-r versions of those which haven't previously been available in that format.  But I did notice that those which have previously appeared in r-t-r form are compliant with your normal rules for including such items in your polls and haven't been available in recent years and I hope you won't be gazumped by Hornby and Bachmann's upcoming announcements.

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Modern image (aka infernal combustion) machinery seems to have done quite well in the 'High Polling' section although I suppose the Decapod, 'Fury' and the 'King' & 'Castle' with attached bent tinwork could also have been described as 'modern image' in their own time.

Great fun thank you gentlemen of the Poll Team and RMweb.  The real amusement will no doubt arrive when somebody announces r-t-r versions of those which haven't previously been available in that format.  But I did notice that those which have previously appeared in r-t-r form are compliant with your normal rules for including such items in your polls and haven't been available in recent years and I hope you won't be gazumped by Hornby and Bachmann's upcoming announcements.

Hello Mike

We (and Phil/Andy) didn't apply any specific rules as this was 'just a bit of Christmas fun' and developed from a 'light-hearted chat' that Phil and I had at a show in November. When you start looking, it's amazing just how many 'quirkies' there are out there...we only skimmed the surface this year.

As noted earlier, the definitions of 'quirky' and 'mainstream' are open to conjecture dependent on viewpoint.

It will be interesting to see if any of the items do get made. I (personally) would certainly buy Ivor the Engine!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

This route has been on the list of the Railway Reinstatement Association for around 7 years and there was a move in 2015 to try to get funding for a full survey.  it will be interesting to hear the outcome as it was a Pre-Beeching closure of passenger services so it hasn't seen passenger trains, of any sort for 57 years.  Part of it seems to have been in mind for Midland Metro use of some sort but I do wonder what interest it will create if it doesn't go anywhere at the northern end and just finishes at Canal St?

• Like 1

Of course with Rocket, there would have to be some non-Generic 4 wheel coaches, and some coal wagons (Chaldrons, no doubt) to model it in both "Opening Day" and "Rainhill Trial" modes.

Thanks for an entertaining Christmas Poll, it was interesting to see what caught folks fancy!

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

... as could Rocket!

• Agree 1

• Administrators

As noted earlier, the definitions of 'quirky' and 'mainstream' are open to conjecture dependent on viewpoint.

That was a problem for me. There was nothing on that list I wouldn't prefer to a King or a Castle but apparently some people like those sort of things...

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Phil Parker said:

That was a problem for me. There was nothing on that list I wouldn't prefer to a King or a Castle but apparently some people like those sort of things...

Careful, the GWR police will be round later with comments like that!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, BMacdermott said:

Harvey Combe.

A significant omission from the poll.

Too quirky or too mainstream?

Well, it was the first locomotive to run on a railway that actually served a couple of places that were worth travelling to.:D

Bernard

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, Bernard Lamb said:

Harvey Combe.

A significant omission from the poll.

Too quirky or too mainstream?

Well, it was the first locomotive to run on a railway that actually served a couple of places that were worth travelling to.:D

Bernard

Hello Bernard

I'll put that on the agenda.