Sound in Heljan 128 oo gauge

Blackeunos

Hi,

please excuse if this has been covered elsewhere but being new to dcc I was just after a little reassurance that I was doing the correct thing. I have a Heljan 128 oo gauge parcel loco that I have fitted with a 21 pin sound chip Loksound 4 from Howes along with 2 sugar cube speakers wired correctly. Problem is it is very loud and I would like to reduce the volume. I have read the manual and it would appear that I need to adjust CV63 down from the default setting of 183 to probably 120-140. Am I correct?

I am sure one of you experts can assist please

regards

stewart

If it is very loud, you may find that you have to reduce CV63 a lot more than seems logical to get the volume you'd like.

With a new sound project, I try it at 96 and then adjust up or down in steps of 8 until I'm happy.

John

On 23/12/2019 at 17:29, Blackeunos said:

Hi Wiggy and John

thanks for the very speedy reply I will have a go, at least I now feel a bit more confident that I wouldn't blow the chip!!

Regards

stewart

It is very unlikely that you would "blow" a decoder by changing CVs.

Dave's suggestion of recording CVs is something really worth doing, especially if you are making a few changes.

If you get in a tangle with CVs, you can always reset a decoder. For example, writing a value of 8 into CV8 on a LokSound – and many other makes of decoder (but always check with the manufacturer's manual) – resets the decoder to the state it was blown by the supplier. You can then start over with CV changes. Contrary to things you may read elsewhere, doing a reset does not erase the sound.

John

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 27/12/2019 at 12:44, Blackeunos said:

Thanks again for your advice and suggestions as I am still very much a beginner to dcc and model railways so any advice is always welcome and taken on board.

regards

stewart

I'd be interested to know what you think of the unit - especially running - and the sound you've installed?

Chris

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

I have the Howes one but its starting to show its age now, ive had one for several years (got it before any other bubble car recordings were available) biggest bugbear is sometimes the engine sound continues to play after the engine has stopped. Haven't got round to reblowing it yet.

one word of caution though.....an early issue of loksound 3.x projects (which the Howes projects have their roots in) is that they wouldn't stand a CV 8 reset...the sounds would be fine but the decoders would lose their speed tables....its worth confirming this on these projects before you do a CV 8 reset. This may not be the case now as Bryan may have updated them...but always worth a check.

Edited by pheaton