Bulk supply of steam loco crew - OO guage

M.I.B

• RMweb Premium

Does anyone do bulk supply of figures suitable for footplate crew?  I need about a dozen sets of driver and fireman.

I have used the Dapol Lineside gang a little too often - wondered if anyone else made something suitable?

Is there perhaps an Airfix 1:72 set full of suitable figures perhaps?

Thanks.

I can probably do you 3 or 4 sets from my figures box. Kettle wranglers are no use to me. :D

Would be after Xmas though. If you're interested PM me your address.

Maybe other RMWebbers have some spares and could help out too?

steve

Edited by steve1
Extra info

• RMweb Premium

I like the Modelu figures, but at £4,50 for a single crew member they're too expensive for me.  I've recently tried some Monty's Models figures from Dart Castings - metal, not so detailed as Modelu, but perfectly acceptable and more reasonably priced at £3.20 for a crew of driver and fireman.  Of a similar standard to Modelu, try Hardys Hobbies.  They're £3 for a single figure but they also do bulk packs, eg 10 footplate staff £17.50.  (https://hardyshobbies.co.uk)

UPDATE:  Since I posted the above I note that Hardys Hobbies appear to have withdrawn the 10 footplate staff bulk pack, but they still do a 5 footplate staff one.

DT

Edited by Torper
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, steve1 said:

I can probably do you 3 or 4 sets from my figures box. Kettle wranglers are no use to me. :D

Would be after Xmas though. If you're interested PM me your address.

Maybe other RMWebbers have some spares and could help out too?

steve

Thanks Steve - PM on its way.

I would return the favour but I don't have anything younger than 1949 when the  old world ended........

• RMweb Premium

Those AC Stadden ones are great - infinite number of poses.

9 hours ago, Right Away said:

Have a look at the Hardy Hobbies website.

Alternatively, with some judicious filing and completely repainting, many existing figures can be altered to represent footplate grades.  

I've done filing and sculpting to the limit of my skills and they look a bit samey.   I have crew from the RAF, gangers, Luftwaffe and some re-worked "Joe Public" - I think they were Airfix.

I will check out Hardy Hobbies - thanks for the tip.

Beside cost you might want to consider quality.

I've painted Monty's, Modelu and many converted Airfix  figures and enjoy painting them in that order. However, I think the Modelu figures possibly give the very best result with Monty's coming a very, very close second. Monty's are a bit easier to paint than Modelu as the detail is a bit sharper. Of course it depends what style you want to paint them in as to what is most appropriate. In an open cab it's worth using the best figures available.

• RMweb Premium

The Dapol figures are made from quite soft plastic so it's not too hard to chop arms off etc. and swap them around if you want more variety. Poly cement melts them pretty well and fills the gaps if you apply pressure to the joint.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hardy Hobbies crew ave arrived and they look incredibly detailed.  And no doubles in the delivery.

The poses are very different to the Dapol/Airfix, Hornby crews i already have.

Steve1 was very generous and sent me some different ones too, so thanks to him as well.