2020 predictions?

Mr chapman

Well not long to go now... What are peoples predictions? Not pure fantasy island stuff, actual probable models. 

From a southern perspective... 

I'll go for a shrink ray E4 as most likely, there's a need for a decent size southern tank engine. Plus with the sonic 56xx farish may wish to complete with their own 0-6-2. 

Perhaps a shrunken Atlantic? New wheel arrangement for N and a well received model in 00?

Outside chance... USA tank. I've seen other exclusive models reproduced in N. Like the deltic prototype. 

On January 6th Hornby will announce all their new stuff, 30 seconds later people will be complaining there isnt anything in the announcement for them, why are they doing this instead of that, new models are too expensive etc etc etc.

At the end of February when Bachmann make their announcement we will go round it all again!

Edited by royaloak
  • Like 1
  • Agree 13

This year from Graham Farish I'd love to see the following:-
- A re-tooled Class 90 (no gimmicks with the pantographs please!!!) in EWS, DRS or DB/Malcolm Rail liveries

- Class 31 in DC Rail livery
- Class 37 in Europhoenix livery
- Class 47 in EWS livery
- Class 60 in DC Rail livery
- Class 60 in GBRf plain blue livery
- Class 20 in GBRf Europorte livery

Edited by MGR Hooper!
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, Mr chapman said:

Well not long to go now... What are peoples predictions? 

Noooo.

Now you're gonna have to round up all those cats you've let out of the bag. And you know what they say about herding cats . . . . 

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

I reckon we will see announcements of retooled chassis to accommodate speakers (in which I have no interest whatsoever), a fresh batch of various existing issue coaches and wagons with new numbers, and a couple of new liveries which won't appear on shop shelves for years.

All accompanied by a random new tooling that has most of  us scratching our heads and of course the usual eye boggling rise in RRP...

Still hoping though that if retooling the Class 25 chassis they put a decent 25/3 body on it...

Edited by John M Upton
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

Hopefully some older liveries for the TEA tankers. Still hoping for the original pallet vans and the much-needed 'High' 13 ton vacuum-fitted open. Please no more locos to tempt me.

Wait a minute--a Clayton and a Baby Deltic please Mr B!!!

I am going to predict a retooled 37 and Deltic chassis for sound, new tooling 20/3 to follow the OO version,  struggling to predict rolling stock as all the main coach types of the Big 4 (Collett & Hawksworth, Stannier, Gresley/Thompson, Bulleid/Maunsell) and BR (Mk1-3) are done - unless they pull off a left field and try to beat the Cavlex 91 and Mk4 to the market

Hi,

My guesses, based either on shrink ray or perhaps long due (one type in each category):

Diesel: 10000/10001 LMS Twins

Electric: Class 90 (re-tool)

DMU: Derby Lightweight

Wagon: Shunters Truck

Coach: Parcels PCV unit

I suspect a lot of re-liveries will be likely but since some of the above are already in the OO range, the shrink ray may provide one or two of the above as new items.

I know what I would like but it's not up there...

Cheers,

Ixion.

My prediction is thin pickings again and I do tend to agree that N seems to (at least currently) be a somewhat secondary priority to the mainstream manufacturers who are focusing more on other scales (some like 009 surprisingly niche). However it remains the second most popular scale and with smaller homes becoming the norm I can't help but think manufacturers will in time wake up to the benefits of the scale.

So, as for 2020 announcements, possibly a few (definitely not close to all!) of the following: -

• I agree more re-treads of sound enabled diesels and specifically the Class 37 would appear logical. Further re-liveries of existing models, and possibly a DCC ready (90 degree 6pin) 08 seems long overdue. 117 shrunk to N.
  • Steam - A 94xx Pannier given it's appearance in 00, commonality to the 64xx chassis wise and it's significance in the Farish range over many years (was the first Farish N loco in 1970). My other possible, based on the completely retooled V2 in 00, is the same in N, loco-drive (no boiler-skirt thanks to coreless motors) diecast running plate and lower boiler section, Next 18 sound ready. 
  • Coaching stock - nothing but re-runs/liveries - once the Thompsons are out that will be the "Big 4" covered.
  • Wagons - breakdown crane anyone? (obviously nothing as complex as the 00 one).

However realistically I would say still be prepared for another year of disappointment and more price rises!

Roy

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, Wizardtrains said:

Merry Christmas?

I'm predicting/wishing for a bumper catalogue from Hornby celebrating 100 years, I do enjoy going through these as I have for the last 55 years or so. I will be happy with one special model as I probably can't afford more than that and if you buy one or two a year it is surprising how quickly you gather rather more locomotives than you will run regularly. I predict some kind of "100 Years of Hornby" train pack or train set that may contain more than one locomotive, I also think they will rename the streamlined blue coronation as "Coronation". Finally for now I predict more use of TTS sound.

As a wish, I hope model railways gain more followers.

Cheers everyone

Erm, this is for Graham Farish not Hornby?

• Agree 1

34 minutes ago, Wizardtrains said:

Merry Christmas?

I'm predicting/wishing for a bumper catalogue from Hornby celebrating 100 years, I do enjoy going through these as I have for the last 55 years or so. I will be happy with one special model as I probably can't afford more than that and if you buy one or two a year it is surprising how quickly you gather rather more locomotives than you will run regularly. I predict some kind of "100 Years of Hornby" train pack or train set that may contain more than one locomotive, I also think they will rename the streamlined blue coronation as "Coronation". Finally for now I predict more use of TTS sound.

As a wish, I hope model railways gain more followers.

Cheers everyone

Probably been mentioned before but if it is going to be a 100 theme.

Mike Wiltshire

image.png.6b169a8623346e8e54b9df9147e5331b.png

• RMweb Premium

Over the year I will work 1/3 third off of the time till I retire. 

My n gauge railway will advance but not be finished. 

My em gauge railway will still be on hold. 

They will still bring out stuff in N that i want in EM

They will still bring out stuff in EM that I want in N.. 

• Friendly/supportive 1