2020 predictions?

Mr chapman

• Moderators

It's relevant to post this here too.

On 06/01/2020 at 08:23, AY Mod said:

Thomas is very much the lead story for Bachmann this year with the details of this launched at the London Toy Fair so expect the full information to be available on Tuesday 21 January. Applying logic to this many of the trade customers buying such will want the stock in their shops for the run-up to Christmas so this means that the factory will be ensuring that stock is available. It doesn't mean they'll be dropping everything else as they already produce this for the 'Rest of the World' but they will be ensuring there is stock for our domestic market.

This will be followed by trade days at the beginning of February (rather than press days) where there will be progress updates on previously announced new tooling projects with a move towards not announcing new tooling items until physically underway. It won't make the slightest bit of difference as to when a product will actually arrive on the shelves but it will mean a little less for the frothers to get over-excited or overly critical about at the start of 2020. I know there are projects underway which haven't been announced so we should expect a period of adjustment in the way products are announced.

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

It's relevant to post this here too. 

Thanks Andy, expectations suitably tempered!

[cynic mode]We know there is a new OO and N Gauge range of TTTE stock coming from Bachmann. We know they want it in the shops in plenty of time for Christmas. We know the N gauge Mk.2fs were bumped from their production slot for 'something else'.....[/cynic mode]

Actually a new N gauge Thomas range is long overdue and very welcome. Hopefully it will help growth in N Gauge - if it's robust and reliable enough.

Bachmann American recently posted EP sample pics on their Twitter Feed of N Gauge Thomas & Percy:

Thomas.jpg.150c58474e53ed9ca2b22778c2f797cc.jpg

Percy.png.fdb17081da7c3a1c74647f3b751036c1.png

Tom.  

Edited by TomE

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, Roy L S said:

I think I just might have to get me a "Percy". The chassis looks to have great potential for a small industrial loco.

Roy

I suspect there might be a few Percys being sacrificed to the industrial world! I am curious as to whether they will be DCC compatible, there isn't going to be much space in there for a chip. 

Tom.  

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Mr chapman said:

Are those the final wheels? Solid one's? In any event that will be the first "british" 0-4-0 in N I believe. 

Percy has been produced before by Tomix. 

On 07/01/2020 at 14:21, Roy L S said:

I think I just might have to get me a "Percy". The chassis looks to have great potential for a small industrial loco.

Roy

I'm sure it would be possible to find space somewhere to hardwire the tiny Zimo MX616 or similar.

• RMweb Premium

A slightly left field thought, how about Mk3 hauled coaching stock, particularly Sleepers as Dapol have dragged their heels so much there feet have worn away...

13 hours ago, John M Upton said:

A slightly left field thought, how about Mk3 hauled coaching stock, particularly Sleepers as Dapol have dragged their heels so much there feet have worn away...

If Bachmann already know Mk3 loco hauled coaches are coaches are on Dapol's to do list I would have thought they would steer well clear personally, far too risky.

Roy

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, John M Upton said:

A slightly left field thought, how about Mk3 hauled coaching stock

No chance - Dapol have squarely staked their claim to the mk3.

In the same way I couldn’t see Dapol touching mk1 or mk2 (unless they fancied doing proper height mk2a coaches :rofl_mini: !) because those are covered fairly comprehensively (once the air con mk2s come out) by Farish.

If Farish were astute, they would announce a completely new class 90, but I won’t hold my breath. 

More generally, I’d just be happy to see them give ‘firm’ timescales for previously announced project like the TPE 350/4 and the 319.... and preferably for delivery this year.... again, I won’t hold my breath though.... :blink:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JR_P said:

More generally, I’d just be happy to see them give ‘firm’ timescales for previously announced project like the TPE 350/4 and the 319.... and preferably for delivery this year.... again, I won’t hold my breath though.... :blink:

Before the real things a) get replaced, or b) get repainted?

We can but hope.

John P

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Stefen1988 said:

More Pre Grouping Steam Locos would be awesome.

Agreed, but I guess that would be dependent on how well the C Class and Birdcage stock have sold. 

In light of Andy's comments, I'm now expecting no new tooling to be announced except for the N Gauge Thomas range, which we'll probably see unveiled before the 5th at the Toy Show, and limited re-liveries except for a few staple items. 

Tom.  

Edited by TomE
  • Agree 1

If the 'press day' of old launching new products is not going to happen, just trade updates, are we going to get the list of re-releases and new liveries at the same time as the Thomas bunfight?  Presumably they are  doing a catalogue for 2020, in which case does anybody know the publication date?

I can guarantee there WON'T be one of these---

IMG_2719.JPG.3f507ef96fbc3d117fb7dea312bdf3c6.JPG

One of the new locos for Bregenbach (the reason I'm not committing myself to any more UK N once my existing pre-orders have been delivered).

However, the serious side is that I'm currently picking up NEW electric locos for the new German layout and buying Next18 chips for them for less than the cost of an analogue Farish Deltic.  

Could any perceived fall in N-gauge sales in the UK be in part a result of the largest player pricing itself out of the market?

Les

Yes I know this one has a 6-pin chip inside it, the Vectron was out of focus.  My price also includes postage from Germany.  Whether it will still be cheaper once Customs & Excise gets the hang of Brexit might be a different matter.

Edited by Les1952

1 hour ago, Les1952 said:

I can guarantee there WON'T be one of these---

One of the new locos for Bregenbach (the reason I'm not committing myself to any more UK N once my existing pre-orders have been delivered).

However, the serious side is that I'm currently picking up NEW electric locos for the new German layout and buying Next18 chips for them for less than the cost of an analogue Farish Deltic.  

Could any perceived fall in N-gauge sales in the UK be in part a result of the largest player pricing itself out of the market?

Les

Yes I know this one has a 6-pin chip inside it, the Vectron was out of focus.  My price also includes postage from Germany.  Whether it will still be cheaper once Customs & Excise gets the hang of Brexit might be a different matter.

Hi Les

I haven't heard anyone say there is any perception of a fall in British N sales, I am sure I read somewhere that there remains growth, just not as much as Bachmann had hoped which they find frustrating.

That said, a healthy and reliable supply is of course essential to maintain sales, and whether it be re-liveries from Bachmann's already extensive N portfolio or new tool, I an sure Bachmann (and others) are aware of that. 

As to your point on comparative pricing when related to British v's other prototypes from overseas there will be many factors, in particular economies of scale, but for me it is totally irrelevant because however cheap comparatively speaking Continental or American N is it is not what I want to model so I will not buy.

I am sure Bachmann are alive to price sensitivity, but we have to be realistic. We are talking of a comparatively low volume market in British N compared to others and therefore price will reflect that. Even still I do not consider a C Class Next 18 enabled with speaker unreasonably priced at (with 15% discount) about £115 and even less so the yet to be released 8F with sound, discounted at about £215.

I would also add that there are plenty of other examples of US and continental models that are eye-wateringly expensive compared to Farish!

Regards

Roy 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, rogerzilla said:

Buy everything before 31 Dec.  Nothing changes until then, even if the Blonde Buffoon fails to negotiate a trade agreement.

Not sure I am too interested in politically motivated opinions on modelling forums, we get enough of that elsewhere don't we?

• Like 1