Hornby 2020 range announcements

AY Mod

It's difficult to fault their ambition, at least. Though to me it smacks of one last roll of the dice, using up all the expensive loan facility they anyway have to pay for to make as many populist toolings as they possibly can. It's truly audacious.

It's also nice to see their responsiveness to a wide range of demands, from NR yellow coaches to Thompsons to the APT (I wasn't expecting that), alongside some more likely models such as the Rocket.

Wow. Just wow.

Paul

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

First off, Congratulations to Hornby on this very special year... celebrating 100 years of toy/model trains is certainly something special.

Thank you Andy for the time and effort put into making these lists for all of us to view with ease. Really appreciated.

Once again an ambitious announcement from Hornby and we keep seeing year after year Hornby are gradually getting better and better at their announcements. They're certainly not afraid to take on their competitors.

I'm happy to say that I correctly predicted the Stephenson's Rocket, APT-P and Class 91 (not that anyone cares).

What a terrible year for the wallet. I've (with a lot of mental strength) restrained myself to pre-ordering just 5 items. the APT-P is definitely on my radar.

Edited by MGR Hooper!
  • Like 6
  • Agree 2

Hush hush may be worth picking up - can’t say I care for the steampunk models personally, but it’s not like I’m their target audience anyway :)

interested in the design app, we shall see what that’s like 

Very impressive range. I liked the Coronation coaches, the Hornby first 100 years book, the model cars and the retro Hornby-Dublo and Hornby clockwork trains. I am disappointed to see that the new SR and LSWR brake vans are still in the incorrect milk chocolate livery: they should be plain chocolate.

• Agree 3

Interesting to see they’ve gone down the tinplate route which is fantastic in one sense (as someone who runs and collects ‘Coarse’ scale tinplate O’ ) however their price point for those models seems way off compared with the original and modern repro models that are more detailed from the likes of ACE, ETS and so forth.

Still, well done to them for doing something a bit different that honours their past too.

g

• RMweb Gold

APT? Wow. I want one. My lad will want one too. 

BR Standard 2MT? Looks good. 

Terrier in LSWR? I'll have one - will go well with Hattons coaches.

But that DC control app? That is, I think the most stunning announcement, though it may go under the radar of some on here. I expect it to be in train sets before long. 

• Agree 2

12 minutes ago, 60800 said:

Just wow. Not overly happy about the 91 as it could steal Cavalex's thunder. I hope it doesn't stop cavalex though as the range of liveries is far better.

Hornby want to do the 91, that's fine.

But they aren't doing the Mk4s, so if Cavelex decide the project is no longer viable that leaves the people wanting the Intercity 225 with a third of a modern version...

• Agree 1

I don't model OO, in fact I don't model British at all, but I hope this range is a great success.

This hobby needs Hornby to prosper because that is the name that the general public know - Hornby going out of business would send a message to the general public that our hobby is going out of business. Hornby prospering sends the message that our hobby is prospering!

Although I don't model/collect British OO I did buy a Terrier last year just to support Simon Kohler who I first met when he was a rep for H&M - yes that long ago - and I'm tempted to buy at least one of these items for the same reason.

• Like 2
  • Agree 6

I'm feeling somewhat smug, as a lot of my predictions have been realised. Steampunk. Rocket. APT. App-based controller. Even the Hush-Hush, although I wouldn't go so far as to say that I actually predicted it, just thought it was a strong possibility.

I also suspected that they might do a set of deliberately retro releases. It will be interesting to see how those are marketed, and how well they sell. New tooling O gauge tinplate is possibly the most left-field of those, though.

As for the things aimed more at me, I think my wallet is reasonably safe. There's nothing that leaps out as a must-buy, at least for my current project, although the BR Standard 2MT might come in handy. I think I probably will shell out for Rocket, though, just because it's there.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

An incredibly large and ambitious selection of models, and I hope Hornby prosper as a result of their choices.

From a personal standpoint as a "focussed" purchaser, by location and period (and in which I have been well catered-for previously) almost all of it misses me by a country mile. My flexible friend will not be stressed this year.

On a more positive note, some 2019/20 releases that take my fancy but on which I'd deferred a decision until the new program was announced, will now definitely be affordable. I should also have a substantial "war chest" in place for 2021...

John

• Funny 1