Hornby 2020 range announcements

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium

Definite Wow!   Highlights so far are APT . Looks like might be possible to buy whole train .also Stephensons Rocket .  Just see the Scottish variant Azuma.  And want to know more about the analogue control system . Lots to take in , but on first impressions definitely that wow factor . Well done Hornby . 

This is absolutely an incredible range. 

Hats off to Hornby for taking some MAJOR leaps of faith that should hopefully pay off. 

I cant believe it-finally RTR Thompson pacifics!

• Like 1

Well done for the Thompson's, Bachmann finally missed the boat on them , and the W1 . On the other hand ,nothing new for them to pull or any wagons at all for the E.R area.

A huge amount of reprints on existing items how many will actually sell at anything like r.r.p ,?  why or why do they keep issuing donkeys year old wagons with giant couplings  and a special edition of the Pug (really) again who buys them ??  If they had produced more of the new moudings for the 21ton Hopper and the excellent Trout wagons I would have bought them !!.

Tinplate Locos very unusual defo one for collectors !!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Quite a line up.  Well done Hornby.

It looks like war has been declared with the release of more 66s.  I wondered when the list would end as I scrolled down.

The 91 will frustrate some, my first thought was it was a bit cynical they've been flogging the "toy"91 for years then Cavelex announce one and Hornby announce an updated one of their own.  Is that what it takes to get Hornby to update some older models they were happy to produce for years.  Can't help but think of what Simon said to Rails or Hattons on the James May documentary re the Terrier or the 66s, it's just business or words to that effect.   However maybe I'm being too cynical as the same arguement couldn't be made for the APT  not aware of anyone else developing one at the moment.

The retooled 47 may mean I can remotor some old detailed Lima 47s I have if the bodies fit.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

Well thats an extensive year ahead for Hornby. As DavidW said no-one expected the A2s especially 500 - bet the Gresley cohorts are sharpening the pitchforks already, although having the Hush - Hush - which is most definitely a wow - ought to mollify them....

Standard 2 2-6-0 will be popular too and good to see the HAAs back in a number of guises, hopefully an after market top to convert to CBAs might materialise....

RB main item of interest here, many thanks .

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Doesn’t matter what you model and when, as a railway modeller if you aren’t impressed/excited by something in there (regardless of whether it’s ‘for you’ or not) then you’re exceptionally difficult to please. Amazing stuff!

Most things for me are actually re-releases of existing tooling but the ambition here is impressive to say the least.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

I am very excited to see the W1 Hush Hush lined up for release. Nice one, Hornby! :dance_mini:

And Rocket may just find itself on my list, along with the BR(S) Mk1s.

But I'm not seeing anything out of the box that truly makes me stop dead in my tracks (no pun intended).

• RMweb Premium

Loving the Dutch 31 with headcode box, that’ll be useful for a good few renumbers!

The cheesy graffiti Trainload Coal HAA amused though, the markings look like something from the Brady Bunch :lol: Happy to offer my services to Hornby as ‘graffiti consultant’ for 2021... 

Overall, looks a cracking set of releases and let’s hope Cavalex aren’t too exposed with the 91 for all their good work pushing the hobby forward so far :good_mini:

Cheers,

James

• Like 1

Wow what an announcement. To have either the Thompson Pacific or the Hush Hush announced would be amazing to have both in one year plus the Coronation train and the APT is nearly unbelievable.

A few wagons to tempt me and the LSWR T9, which is quite enough for one year.

Edited by Anglian
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, mdvle said:

Hornby want to do the 91, that's fine.

But they aren't doing the Mk4s, so if Cavelex decide the project is no longer viable that leaves the people wanting the Intercity 225 with a third of a modern version...

Only just noticed the lack of Modern Mk4's. How odd.

Cheers,

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, micklner said:

huge amount of reprints on existing items how many will actually sell at anything like r.r.p ,?  why or why do they keep issuing donkeys year old wagons with giant couplings  and a special edition of the Pug (really) again who buys them ??  If they had produced more of the new moudings for the 21ton Hopper and the excellent Trout wagons I would have bought them !!.

Being an anniversary year, and much of it being done as collectible items, it will be bought by collectors.

It is an extremely good move by Hornby, essentially easy money from existing assets (something they need), and if anything Hornby should be congratulated for showing some restraint as it could just as easily gone overboard with too much collectible stuff that would have introduced the danger of stuff not selling.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Haven’t seen Mk4s to complement the 91s , so maybe Cavalex still ok if producing whole train . That’s the only downside I see in this so far , in that a relatively small player seems to be getting trampled on.  But really this is fantastic stuff from Hornby