Hornby 2020 range announcements

AY Mod

• Moderators

I am fairly happy, whilst my wallet probably won't be set on fire.

I don't have space for the NMT really, but will be adding to my rake of NR Mk2s. Might go for a DVT and/or a Super GUV too, I have the Accurascale NR37 on order so may get a DVT to work with that.

The 91 is a bit of a dodgy one WRT Cavalex but no new coaches or DVT so Cavalex will still be the ones selling a complete package.

GBRF 50s are good, not sure I want them enough to pay the price though.

Shame they didn't do a GBRF or DCR 60, not sure the market needs 2 more red DB 60s?

I don't need another LNER 800 (although I may swap my pre order) and it's a shame no 802s TBH. Would have had a TPE and Hull Trains one.

Late 80s looks interesting. Could run a 91 with buffered HST and mk3s on ECML or APT for WCML.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, micklner said:

I agree with the first sentence and totally understandable why Hornby have issued those items.

A Good move from Hornby is it , time will tell ? Is there really that much money in old style wagons and other tat ? Hornby know there sales figures we dont.

Some of the stuff they haven't said, but the main collectable items all seem to have quantities in the 1000 to 2000 total units, that should easily sell out given it's all 100th anniversary stuff - thus again showing some restraint and being realistic in deciding what will actually sell.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

Not revolutionary, though, we've been using such a system (Blue Railways) for almost two years.

John

Hi John,

I though Blue Rail was control of locos directly by wireless.

The Hornby system is control of DC/accessory controllers by wireless, then wires to the tracks etc. Even less revolutionary perhaps.

Regards

Nick

• RMweb Gold

I could sit here all day saying what I like / dislike...

its been quite a long time since Ive been able to say that about Hornby.

Its nice to have such an ambitious range, all modellers have budgets, they key here will be timing the releases to modellers budgets and max the revenue..

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

Well most years i come on here and say 'nothing in it for me' but thats because i dont have a layout .......That being said, i feel this is a good range with lots for everybody.           

Do feel it a bit naughty with the Class 91 - must admit didn't look too closely to see it was new tooling, just assumed they were flogging a dead horse with the old model.  Surely competition is good for everybody and given past track records i would imagine Cavalex's will be the better model .....

Also received that there aren't many new Class 60s released as being in the Respray Business, these are proving a welcome area for me with GBRf and DCR releasing many different liveries .......

Some of the coaches in RTC and NR are very good - Bachmann seem to have forgotten about RTC Livery after Modelzone ceased to trade.

HST Swallow with buffers is a welcome addition and the updated Network Rail version looks good too.

Overall as a modern image modeller i must say well done - though won't be buying too much as i said - no layout to run it on .....

Slightly disappointed at the lack of BR Blue or Large Logo 56s - im no marketing genius but the sold out very quickly so by my brain i would be thinking ... 'Lets do some more ......'

Ben

• RMweb Gold

I wonder if it's wise doing the Thompson Pacific’s and the W1 in the same year, while giving little for other modellers. Not having much room, my interest is in smaller locos: Hornby has done a number of these in recent times but has largely reverted to type this year. I am interested in the 2MT though, but had expected it to come from Bachmann rather than Hornby.

• RMweb Gold

Interesting to see the D.1981 RTO in the Coronation Scot set. There were nine of these which were refitted with 2+1 seating and pressure ventilation from the 56-seat D.1904 TO. 

Leaves the opportunity to backdate to the other 116 vehicles which  lasted until c1964 and fill a gap for an LMS Open Third which has not been available since the Replica Railways D.1915.

Also a version I haven't yet built for my excursion set.:D

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, NIK said:

Hi John,

I though Blue Rail was control of locos directly by wireless.

The Hornby system is control of DC/accessory controllers by wireless, then wires to the tracks etc. Even less revolutionary perhaps.

Regards

Nick

Its Controlling DC by App, with sound.. for less than £30 apparently.

Now if I can put my own sounds in...

and if I could my own speakers down on the track (or on the train)...

(i do this already using 10p sized Bluetooth speakers for less than £5)..

i might be getting ahead if myself with this quickly... but take this for what it is.. a new way on controlling DC and lets start from there.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

It depends on price / features.

I looked at Bluerail..shrugged my shoulders.. Ive 000’s of locos and such a solution wouldn't fly at that price.

i’m also DC, not DCC.

This looks interesting in that it looks simple..and potentially extensible... i’m need to read the details.. but at under £30 this is interesting...

If they open the system, or at least are open to community feedback, they could go down a really interesting path here.

Blue Railways * system is DC - nothing to fit to locos, it just provides wireless walk-around control that replaces what you had before. They offer dedicated handsets (which we used) but the base stations (which also have a control knob) will work from a smartphone app, which obviously avoids the cost of the handsets.

The little base stations just replace your old analogue controllers. We had our first pair up and running in 20 minutes and the whole lot (two base station/receiver units for the main lines and two handsets cost about £200 IIRC. We've since added a third for operating the goods yard which previously involved swapping a corded handheld between two sockets.

John

* I think BlueRail is something else entirely.

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

As with the last 2-3 years I'm quite happily surprised with Hornby's announcements, and whilst before it was with range diversity this year it seems to be entirely catered towards me!

Never dreamed I'd see Thompson Pacifics RTR, and once more ruffling feathers but really for Gresley related reasons...!  Let's give the poor man a break, please.  Only thought I'd ever see an A2/3 from Bachmann, but also an A2/2?  I must be dreaming I'm so happy, but if only one of the first releases was Apple Green (until there's more confirmation?).

Hush Hush I thought would happen at some point, given Cock O The North, Hornby's always been one for high profile engines!  Always wanted her in original guise.

What I'm most intrigued by are the Stanier carriages, I'm not knowledgeable on the Coronation Scot rakes but how many of these diagrams can be done up as regular coaches?  I'd be very pleased to more evenly round out a set of LMS stock.

Well done Hornby!

• Like 1

Some good stuff there, but some queries?

eg the Rocket train pack, due Feb 2020 - 2 variants, priced at £189.99 & £379.99. Different prices - why?

Brush 2 (31) , green livery, due October 2020, price £379.99. Why so expensive?

All those LNER pacific versions, December 2020, all priced at £189.99. All at the same time!

(There may be others that don't interest me)

Stewart

• Like 1

Certainly an ambitious announcement- Highlight for me has to be the Coronation Scot coaches- it's quite a step from putting Coronation Scot livery on the old 70's toy 'Stanier' composite and brake to offering a full 9-car 1937 set.

Standard 78xxx has been an open goal for someone for years, and it's nice to see one of the gaps in the BR Standard lineup filled at last. 

I really don't need a Stephenson's Rocket,- I've had the late 70's re-release of the old Triang one stashed away since I was a kid, and hardly ever ran it, but the new release (is this a full re-tool, rather than just blowing the dust off the old one?) looks mighty tempting.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
Just now, stewartingram said:

Some good stuff there, but some queries?

eg the Rocket train pack, due Feb 2020 - 2 variants, priced at £189.99 & £379.99. Different prices - why?

Brush 2 (31) , green livery, due October 2020, price £379.99. Why so expensive?

All those LNER pacific versions, December 2020, all priced at £189.99. All at the same time!

(There may be others that don't interest me)

Stewart

Last year, there were some pricing anomalies in the initial announcement that got sorted out later, though some shops needed a bit of a nudge to correct their prices.

3 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Its Controlling DC by App, with sound.. for less than £30 apparently.

Now if I can put my own sounds in...

and if I could my own speakers down on the track (or on the train)...

(i do this already using 10p sized Bluetooth speakers for less than £5)..

i might be getting ahead if myself with this quickly... but take this for what it is.. a new way on controlling DC and lets start from there.

I'm guessing that the sounds are in the app on the phone/tablet (much like the original Bluerail was) as there is no way to communicate with the engine beyond the simple voltage amount, so no way to add sound to a loco that isn't already sound equipped.

Now if you DC loco runs with sound on DC, you will still have sound.

Any other way and you would need to be putting a bluetooth board into anything you want to add sound to, which as you said regarding Bluerail (or DCC) just gets too expensive if you already have a lot of existing stock.

3 minutes ago, Synch said:

What I'm most intrigued by are the Stanier carriages, I'm not knowledgeable on the Coronation Scot rakes but how many of these diagrams can be done up as regular coaches?  I'd be very pleased to more evenly round out a set of LMS stock.

Well done Hornby!

All of them. They were standard coaches but with pressure ventilation and reduced seating in the dining cars to 2+1 seating.

Most of them are already in the Hornby range as ordinary coaches.

Jason

• Agree 1

Congratulations to Hornby in their Centenary year.  It had to be expected they would push the boat out given they have hit the 100.  The Class 91 announcement raised my eyebrow as it has for many here.  I would like to believe Cavalex would have gone into their project with their eyes wide open with respect to the chances of Hornby doing something like this, particularly after seeing Hattons and Rails experiences with the 66's and Terriers.  Not interested in the Class 91 personally but hopefully room for both of them.

Looking forward to seeing Dave from Dean Park's take on the issue, given how loudly he banged the drum for Hornby to do something with their 91.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Invicta said:

I really don't need a Stephenson's Rocket,- I've had the late 70's re-release of the old Triang one stashed away since I was a kid, and hardly ever ran it, but the new release (is this a full re-tool, rather than just blowing the dust off the old one?) looks mighty tempting.

The graphic on page 1 says new tooling.

• Thanks 1