Hornby 2020 range announcements

AY Mod

Wow! Including the H&M DC app control and Steampunk range it's a very exciting programme. I do hope that it does well for Hornby.

Those who snipe at the 91 might care to observe there is a price (and possibly level of detail difference) between the two. Also, we don't know how long it's been in development for.

For those wanting a Manor, perhaps Bachmann will produce this out of their February announcement?

Finally, many thanks to Andy for the time taken to present the range in a clear and easy-to-use way.

• Agree 6
  • Thanks 1

On the APT front - which is really great news as I'm interested in this -  they are doing extra coaches for 2 different sets. Now, I can't figure out which set of coaches is for which APT.

A full set was 14 cars. The 7 set becomes 15 so something is duplicated here (or we might be missing a power car!), the 5 set becomes 13 (missing a power car). If both were 6 car sets, then at least we could guess which coaches go with which.

Before ordering, I'll wait for extra details as I'm not sure how it fits (as well as wishing to know the window surrounds for each set too).

Edited by JSpencer
  • Agree 1

Very big announcements from Hornby, some that I'm genuinely pleased to see, and some that I'm like "why bother" such as the 91.

I was rather hoping for some TPE 802s, as well as some trailer carriages to allow people to make 9 car rakes.

Lots of brilliant stuff on the way. Bring it on. 

16 minutes ago, Synch said:

What I'm most intrigued by are the Stanier carriages, I'm not knowledgeable on the Coronation Scot rakes but how many of these diagrams can be done up as regular coaches?  I'd be very pleased to more evenly round out a set of LMS stock.

All of them.

10 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Most of them are already in the Hornby range as ordinary coaches.

I think it's probably only 2 at the moment.

• Like 1

Quite a few things jump out for me here,

a new full-length APT-P ... wow!!! I had hoped, but I didn't really expect them to go for it. Seems a good way to do with with the basic set plus add on coach packs. I wonder how they're going to quantify how many they'll produce - thats going to be a really difficult one to predict interest on.

buffer-fitted HST Power cars in Intercity Swallow!

Intercity Swallow Mk3 DVT!

RTC liveried Mk1s

and a coupl eof things I'm less keen on....

a Retooled Class 91 - if you do nothing to improve your own tooling for 30 years and charge pretty much full-spec prices for railroad spec models, then it can hardly be a surprise for buyers to be wanting something better and for someone else to have a go at tooling their own. To bring out competing models once or twice might be a co-incidence, to repeatedly trample smaller manufacturers is monopolistic. What might be considered good business practice elsewhere I'd say is quite different in the relatively small market of British Model Railways. I'll be sticking with my Cavalex order.

Dutch Class 31 is good, that could replace quite a lot of Mazak affected early releases. I'm still a little surprised we're waiting so long for obvious liveries on the Superdetailed Class 31 tooling - 1980s Railfreight (pre-red stripe), BR Blue 31/4, 31413, Intercity Mainline 31/4. Their lack of interest in providing releases almost seems like fishing for a competitor to take the bait to have a go at a Class 31 themselves only to cry 'foul' and claim its theirs!!! If they make the most of their tooling and provide basic liveries then it wouldn't seem such an appealing loco for others to pick, but we're still waiting for obvious liveries to appear on 18 year old tooling!

There does seem to be something for everyone, but a surprising lack of BR Blue and Sectorisation models

• Agree 5

If Cavalex are in position to continue the Class 91 project they hopefully wouldn't be too badly impacted IF they can get theirs to market first. Due to the impatience of some to deliver quicker after announcement. Only had a quick look but most of the Hornby running numbers are different and they don't appear to be offering the complementing DVT or Mk 4s, which isn't great joined up thinking if that is the case.

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, mdvle said:

I'm guessing that the sounds are in the app on the phone/tablet (much like the original Bluerail was) as there is no way to communicate with the engine beyond the simple voltage amount, so no way to add sound to a loco that isn't already sound equipped.

Now if you DC loco runs with sound on DC, you will still have sound.

Any other way and you would need to be putting a bluetooth board into anything you want to add sound to, which as you said regarding Bluerail (or DCC) just gets too expensive if you already have a lot of existing stock.

I disagree..

heres mine, it cost me £6 On Amazon... i use it on anything I like,. Its not a chip its a Bluetooth speaker and it plays what i tell it too, unlike a DCC chip which can only play what its loaded with..... I only own 2 speakers and have used it for hundreds of locos/sounds... this video is all DC.. and 1 speaker on the train.

i am interested to see if I can link both together.. it would be nice if Hornby built it in at somepoint.

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Well it’s a first ever ! Just ordered The Centenary edition of Rocket from Rails (sorry hattons , couldn’t find it on your website) . Never ever ordered a product on announcement before from Hornby .  2 things occur . 1 . It’s a damned reasonable price for a limited edition and 2 . I think it says expected February 2020! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, Pandora said:

I note the new  sub-brand Railroad Plus such as the  class 47 diesel with etched nameplates

Has Railroad (Standard? Minus? Vanilla?) gone then? A number of items appear to be in the main range that I'd've thought would have appeared as Railroad. I'm guessing there might be a Pt.2 with continuing items?

I really like the Steampunk figures, but a pity there's nothing similar for "normality". Sadly I find the rest of that range half-hearted and ghastly. (This would be where any new generic stuff might have gone, too.)

Still, Std 2MT... :drink_mini:

• RMweb Gold

I wonder if anything much is happening on the Hornby forum this morning...

In the 'I wasn't expecting that' category, which is a healthy size, I am most interested in the App based analogue controller, the first development of any sort for many years in this field and potentially very useful, and priced reasonably as well.  My poor old phone battery's gonna be taking a bit of a pounding!  There's not much for me apart from that, but given that they announced a lot last year that is, I can forgive them; I'm sure all the new liveries will go down well.  Not sure about the steampunk stuff, but then, I wouldn't be, would I, it's not aimed at a market I know anything about and I assume (perhaps more in hope than common sense) that the marketeers know what they're doing and H will make money out of it.  It's sort of off the back of the TV show a bit, isn't it? 

3 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

I disagree..

heres mine, it cost me £6 On Amazon... i use it on anything I like,. Its not a chip its a Bluetooth speaker and it plays what i tell it too, unlike a DCC chip which can only play what its loaded with...

So, you originally said:

I looked at Bluerail..shrugged my shoulders.. Ive 000’s of locos and such a solution wouldn't fly at that price.

So, thousands of locos, even at £6, your talking over £6000 - so yes, still too expensive I assume even though the bluetooth board comes with a speaker.

Of course if you aren't upgrading the entire fleet then your cost equation changes regardless of which Bluetooth solution you opt for, though yours is still cheaper.

But the other aspect is whether Hornby want to get involved in the tech support of trying to get their system working with random Bluetooth items off of Amazon, eBay, or other Chinese sellers.

4 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

On the APT front - which is really great news as I'm interested in this -  they are doing extra coaches for 2 different sets. Now, I can't figure out which set of coaches is for which APT.

A full set was 14 cars. The 7 set becomes 15 so something is duplicated here (or we might be missing a power car!), the 5 set becomes 13 (missing a power car). If both were 6 car sets, then at least we could guess which coaches go with which.

Before ordering, I'll wait for extra details as I'm not sure how it fits (as well as wishing to know the window surrounds for each set too).

We probably need more details to know the difference between the 5-car and 7-car packs. I note the price difference is more than just a £70 pair of coaches, so I'd wonder if the 7 car one has 2 power cars but like you say, in doing that it means that an odd number of coaches is left. It might make more sense to do a 5 car pack with a single power car and a 6 car pack with 2.

The coach numbers all end with the same digits so 370 001 would have had 48501 (TF), 48301 (TU), 48401 (TRSB), 48201 (TS). Of the models listed there, the ones with the catalogue numbers ending A would go with the 7 car pack and the others with the 5 car.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

152610443_Eurostar3006and3005beingreversedintoKingsburyScrapyard27_10_16.jpg.484f84e217c7a30c79c36212036fd3be.jpg

I can't wait for the original Hush Hush. It was a legend in Darlington when I was a boy and I used to gaze at the large scale model of it in Darlington museum.

Something clicked when I glanced at the Beatles Eurostar. It was the first to be scrapped at Kingsbury and here are a couple of photos I took on 27 October 2016. 3006/5 snaked very slowly into the sidings while a southbound express waited at the signal. The M42 was at a standstill.

Eurostar 3005 arriving Kingsbury Scrapyard 27.10.16.jpg

Edited by Floreat Industria
letter missing

17 minutes ago, Mel_H said:

For those wanting a Manor, perhaps Bachmann will produce this out of their February announcement?

Unlikely, the Manor has (sadly) really become more of a running joke at these announcements - consistently high polling year after year yet every manufacturer seems to be avoiding it, perhaps fearing duplication.

• Agree 1

That is a huge amount of new stuff from Hornby, the retro models look great (and that's just the packaging !).

However......I wish Hornby every success, but the 1970s (again/still) seem to be the decade time forgot, other than an 08, one coach, and the odd wagon. And an APT, a prototype limited in both quantity and range, but still no modernisation plan DMU ?

• Like 2
  • Agree 2