Hornby 2020 range announcements

AY Mod

I’m tempted by the GBRF class 20. I’ve already got a Technical Services one so while the liveries won’t match it would be nice to have a pair of choppers running round my layout. The RRP doesn’t seem too bad either. 

What I found rather surprising it that it is only a £20 difference between a DCC ready 08 shutter and a TTS sound one. 

• Agree 1

Personally there isn't anything here I would buy, but that's not to say this isn't a stunning set of announcements.

The highlights are the APT as a new tool with coach packs to make up the rake you want and a good price, the Hush Hush and the A2 variants.

Uneasy about the 91 - feels a bit like a fly in the ointment for Cavalex whilst not announcing any new stock to go with them but it is par for the course with Hornby, they don't take competition lightly.

Thought for a moment there was a new B-set but it's the old model in new clothes

23 minutes ago, Islesy said:

And that's fine, but just for clarity I'd like to point out that when we announced the Class 87, we stated that we'd been looking at the Class 91 then and looking back at my research files, it was 26 May 2016 when I first visited the National Archives for this project. Not every project starts and runs through to completion uninterrupted, for various reasons including changes of TOC. For us, matters were certainly helped by Hitachi taking over operations at Bounds Green.

Any new TTS chips? I can’t see any  Listed? 

Edited by miles73128
Typo
  • Agree 1

Well, the world is still turning after that, so that's one good thing.

There seems to be quite a bit of variety here, which is good.

Yes, the extent to which Hornby can apply lipstick to pigs (and is now making a virtue out of "vintage") might raise wry eyebrows from modellers, but Hornby has to have the widest appeal, and these various hooks - kids' trainsets, Dad's nostalgia, Steampunk etc - all seem quite reasonable and sensible gambits for Hornby.  Hornby has a store of 'legacy' products, many of which have remained surprisingly popular, and faced with the challenge and opportunity of doing something with them, the 2020 range is not an unintelligent approach.

Moving on to the mainstream/main range, the new tooling tends to focus on mid-thirties onward, so means less to me than it will to most, but there are clearly some popular choices that we might expect to do well.  A couple of things grabbed my attention.  First, if those are the correct diagram Coronation Scot coaches, that will be a very Good Thing indeed.  Second, I echo all those who singled out the Hush Hush; in Hornby's expert hands that could be a belter of a model and I am sure would sell very well. If there are two things that Hornby can do really very well, it's Grouping era top-link passenger classes and coaches for that period. I have some kit-built Thirties LNER stuff (and a couple of Bachmann A4s) knocking about somewhere, so it would seem rude not to order the Hush Hush!

I love the Hornby Pecketts, but confess even I am now reaching saturation point with the delightful W4s, and there is nothing in the announced selection that has that 'must-have' quality, for me, at any rate.  I did like the grey lined livery version, but not, I think, with that pale cream - unpainted resin - colour to the frames boiler and smokebox.  That looks weirdly improbable; is it a mistake?  Still, easy to repaint, so I may yet be tempted.

r3825.jpg.6caafafe1e27b60d56965923ee1ce553.jpg

It's good to see the new Terrier liveries, but, for me, they don't really effect the decision already made to pre-order the Rails version. 

So, a bit of a pre-Grouping wash out for me, except that we are transported back to the 1820s via the 1960s with the "Triang" Rocket set.  That is exciting.  I do have one or two early locos, including a working Lion, so I can certainly find a place for this set.  I think this has to be the most interesting and exciting item in the range and I shall be ordering one. 

r3809_stephenson_s-rocket-train-pack_render_1.jpg.bfd8dcc05a5c8b82b99aa47ba76ee36f.jpg

The decision to go retro and label this as '1960s' and box as 'Triang' appears misleading inasmuch as it seems to me that this is a new model, representing an historic product.  Judging from the graphic above - and it does look to me like a graphic rather than a picture of the model - it looks, to me, like a complete re-tool to modern standards with far more detail when compared with the Triang original (below).

278921042_TriangRocket.jpg.86e82317f034be07d0f68ed288c24ca9.jpg

Look at the detail represented on the graphic of the new Hornby Rocket, and, particularly, on those first class coaches; see, for instance, the door hinges, handles and commode handles. I think we're in for a treat, and I'm bound to say ...

Clearly, this release is not to be resisted. Given my exposure on various exclusive pre-Grouping pre-orders from Rails and TMC, however, I must heave a relieved 'thank goodness' that, for me, Rocket is the only real 'must have' in Hornby's 2020 range.

As I think Dunsignalling said, it's a range that manages to miss most of my interests, but that's neither here nor there and if (with a certain sigh of relief) my pre-Grouping wallet remains largely shut, that doesn't mean it's not a strong and varied range overall.  It shows mercifully little, so far, of the madcap japes of recent management (though there is some suggestion that Cavelex has been stiffed; the "don't park your tanks on our lawn" approach to competitors is becoming, well, tedious, and such spoiling tactics are ultimately not good for the hobby).  Nevertheless, I think the range should do well and, hopefully, keep these household brands running a little longer.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

13 minutes ago, Islesy said:

And that's fine, but just for clarity I'd like to point out that when we announced the Class 87, we stated that we'd been looking at the Class 91 then and looking back at my research files, it was 26 May 2016 when I first visited the National Archives for this project. Not every project starts and runs through to completion uninterrupted, for various reasons including changes of TOC. For us, matters were certainly helped by Hitachi taking over operations at Bounds Green.

and I remember that being said at the time, but having a look at something shouldn't reserve that type so no-one else can model it. Hornby have had 30+ years to update their tooling and its bullying to crush smaller manufacturers when they actually stick their head above the parapet and announce they're doing something to gather interest and pre-orders. One or two duplicated models might be a co-incidence, this is repeated and bang out of order.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I can confirm that the Rocket tooling is completely new and totally to 1/76th scale. The limited edition version with its Centenary box and certificate  (and Golden Ticket' chance) also contains different named coaches to the standard range version. 

They looked exquisite when I saw them last month at Margate.

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

27 minutes ago, philiprporter said:

Interesting range - has something of a 'make or break' feel about it and I sincerely hope its 'make'. The Steampunk range could be a stroke of genius if they can tap into the gaming market, but even if they can't, I suspect many kids will engage with this line which is good news - the few steampunk layouts I have seen at exhibitions have really captivated the younger audience. 

The 91 - hmmm that's worrying, as Cavalex have put so much time, effort and doubtless money into their project - I really hope they won't pull out from that and I shall be honoring my commitment to them and not jumping ship. I hope others won't be put off either. 

APT is great news - as someone caught up in the DJ Models APT affair, this has put a big smile back on my face! 

Was hoping for a blue-grey super-detailed HST, but don't fancy buying two sets of the blue-grey/GWR and selling on the GWR power cars! 

So my next prediction (given that I'm obviously hopeless at this sort of thing!) is a BR blue early AC electric from Bachmann......!

All in all though, I really hope this works for Hornby - some gambles in there (Beatles Eurostar, Steampunk) but it would all work out very well indeed - and I hope it does. 

Is there not enough superdetailed Blue-grey HST's available on the secondhand market? They've done at least a couple of batches of them now

• Agree 1

Tempted by rocket, probably won't get.

Tempted by Avanti pendolino, probably will get but seems extremely expensive for such an old/undetailed tooling without even an interior!

Tempted by APT, probably won't get.

Tempted by Network Rail NMT HST, probably won't get.

Don't understand why 395 coaches are being made but not a 395 loco pack.

Rather disappointed the class 67 TTS decoder hasn't been reintroduced after being discontinued.

If the Eurostar 4 pack costs £109.99, and the extra coaches cost £80.99, that means the value of the dummy and motor car must only be £29... hummmmm

Amazed at the detailing on the GS62617 "Centenary Year Collectables: Hornby Pen". Biggest must for me, even if a bit pricey at £9.99.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Pretty much a genius announcement!

Loads of things aimed at collectors, lots of stuff for the cheaper end of the market, and a lot of sensible releases. 

Personally, I think Hornby have done very well here by creating a niche market. and I seriously think they've done the right thing.

Long live the Red Box Company

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Wow.

Which tooling will some of these decade packs use? Will the A4+Gresleys and 92220 Evening Star be Railroad or HiFi? Presumably another new 6231 Duchess of Athol but will it be the same as R3553s from 2017?

An RB is good news, but Hornby is in my view missing a trick but still not producing its Mk1 FO in Charter Inter-City livery; one of the arguments for producing the coach in the first place. Would give D&E modellers a reason to buy steam locos for preserved locos on main line charters.

• Agree 1

31 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

I did know about Rocket as I found a picture of the Hornby Magazine cover somewhere online. I hasten to add not on Hornby Magazine's website.

I was looking to see if they were doing the offer with the catalogue again.

Jason

They are doing the catalogue/magazine bundle again via Tescos & WH Smith, or the publisher's website if you are out of the UK like myself.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

Not much for me - barely a handful of “Sectorisation” period items.

Looking at the Class 91 situation; wonder how much of the (pretty well informed) market would actually move from Cavalex to Hornby? Or will we get a “Terrier” situation where I suspect many are waiting for the Rails of Sheffield version to hit the shelves before making a purchasing decision.

I’d imagine the RTC liveried items will sell well and the buffered HST power cars are a nice surprise but generally any post-Tops, pre-privatisation modellers are probably moving on rapidly.

Can anyone shed some light on the “EX- Mk1s SK Ballast Cleaner Train Staff coaches”? I’ve never heard of ballast cleaning – replacement yes, but not cleaning ??

And still no Fell diesel…

• Agree 1

Well done Hornby. Any new locomotive announcements are always welcome. My wallet can breath a sigh of relief now. There’s nothing for me this year maybe the black H class it’ll go well with the black D class I’ve got on pre-order. But I know a lot of people will be happy so it’s always welcome. 

big james 

• Like 1

JUST AN ASSUMPTION...

Regarding the Class 91, these are due towards the end of the year i.e. December onwards. Could it be possible that the accompanying Mk.4 coaches and Mk.4 DVT are part of the Hornby 2021 range? I'm sure the folk at Hornby aren't so stupid where they'd re-tool a Class 91 and not do the Mk.4 coaches and Mk.4 DVT also. As Paul Isles has already mentioned, when the announced the Class 87, they very clearly said that the Class 87 was on the table with the Class 91, they chose the Class 87 as it was a single unit to tool up for and that the Class 91 would be done later.

No offence to Cavalex, but there was a very obvious clue given a couple of years ago. I'm sure many modellers would still buy their Class 91 and for those who have not heard of Cavalex, the household name that is Hornby will have one to offer.

PRE-ORDER PLACED!!! Looking forward to my Hornby Class 91.

Edited by MGR Hooper!
  • Agree 5

5 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

Wow.

Which tooling will some of these decade packs use? Presumably another new 6231 Duchess of Athol but will it be the same as R3553s from 2017?

R3553 is original  single chimney, the Ltd Ed one is 1948 double chimney version.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

You'll buy anything yellow, I have a week-old banana that I can do you a deal on.

Gaffer tape that to a wall, call it ‘Art’ and you’ll get more for it.

Tom. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

6 minutes ago, wirey33 said:

Not much for me - barely a handful of “Sectorisation” period items.

Looking at the Class 91 situation; wonder how much of the (pretty well informed) market would actually move from Cavalex to Hornby? Or will we get a “Terrier” situation where I suspect many are waiting for the Rails of Sheffield version to hit the shelves before making a purchasing decision.

I’d imagine the RTC liveried items will sell well and the buffered HST power cars are a nice surprise but generally any post-Tops, pre-privatisation modellers are probably moving on rapidly.

Can anyone shed some light on the “EX- Mk1s SK Ballast Cleaner Train Staff coaches”? I’ve never heard of ballast cleaning – replacement yes, but not cleaning ??

And still no Fell diesel…

Doesn't matter; KR will be doing the Fell. 

1 minute ago, RecordEdit said:

They are doing the catalogue/magazine bundle again via Tescos & WH Smith, or the publisher's website if you are out of the UK like myself.

I thought so, but couldn't be certain. 

I did have a look and saw the front cover of Hornby Magazine with a Win the Rocket on it. Didn't want to say anything, but didn't know whether it was just the old version or something interesting.

Jason