Hornby 2020 range announcements

AY Mod

I'm looking forward to picking up one or two of the O gauge 1920 Hornby loco when they've sat on the shelves for a while and the price has been slashed ;)

Looks like an ETS mechanism under it and they're very good, Hornby have probably gone to them for the whole thing. Horrifically overpriced though.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, GordonC said:

and I remember that being said at the time, but having a look at something shouldn't reserve that type so no-one else can model it. Hornby have had 30+ years to update their tooling and its bullying to crush smaller manufacturers when they actually stick their head above the parapet and announce they're doing something to gather interest and pre-orders. One or two duplicated models might be a co-incidence, this is repeated and bang out of order.

Three manufacturers now have been burned by producing models that have been staples in Hornby’s range for years: Rails of Sheffield (Terrier), Hattons (Class 66) and Cavalex (91) and then complained afterwards that TS ‘spiteful’. Maybe it will actually teach them to manufacturer one of the dozens of locos/units that have never been produced in model form before rather than constantly retooling the same old locos from other manufacturers ranges’.

Edited by bart2day
  • Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, wirey33 said:

Can anyone shed some light on the “EX- Mk1s SK Ballast Cleaner Train Staff coaches”? I’ve never heard of ballast cleaning – replacement yes, but not cleaning.

Commonly practised over the last 50 or more years, courtesy of Big Yellow Machines and now a whole train, I believe, called the High-Output Ballast Cleaner (HOBC). Clearly cheaper than replacing ballast that is still serviceable and will drain well again if the detritus is removed. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Wow, what a list.

Was desperate for Bachmann to do the Malcolm class 90, but I see Hornby are doing it.

They're also doing the Malcolm 66's, again, I'd have preferred Bachmann or even Hattons.

The Scottish Azuma would appeal but only if it was the full 9 cars.

Some range though and I no doubt shall be purchasing a fair few items.

• Like 1

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, Porcy Mane said:

But answer the question!

Dear Bonobo Banana, did you know William Huskisson was killed by a banana? 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

All of them. They were standard coaches but with pressure ventilation and reduced seating in the dining cars to 2+1 seating.

Most of them are already in the Hornby range as ordinary coaches.

Jason

??

image.png

D1905 57' BTK       Modified from same coach as existing Hornby BTK R4232 etc.

D1961 57' BFK        Coronation Scot version of D1910. not previously produced.

D1960 57' FK           Coronation Scot version of D1930.  Hornby R4230 etc, although some have wrong seating layout.

Some original issues are numbered in D1909 series which had 2 a side seating.

D1912 50' RK           Coronation Scot version of standard D1912. Not previously produced.

D1902 65' RFO         Coronation Scot version of standard D1902. Not previously produced.

D1981 57' RTO          Coronation Scot conversion from D1904. Not previously produced.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer
  • Informative/Useful 1

Wow. A fourth batch of GWR power cars in the gloss livery and a third batch of GWR mk3s. I was under the impression many shops couldn’t get rid of the last batch.

LNER mk3s without power cars is odd too. 

Edited by bart2day

4 minutes ago, bart2day said:

Three manufacturers now have been burned by producing models that have been staples in Hornby’s range for years........Hattons (Class 66) 

How? They're aimed at two different markets altogether. Very few people will let go of a high-spec one in favour of one or two budget ones that would take a fair bit of work to make prototypical.

• Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Markwj said:

Actually as mentioned by someone else -is there a flying Scotsman in the range must be their best selling loco of all time. Had a look through the range on the website don't recall seeing one?

There’s one in a train set. 

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, MGR Hooper! said:

How? They're aimed at two different markets altogether. Very few people will let go of a high-spec one in favour of one or two budget ones that would take a fair bit of work to make prototypical.

That’s a fair point but in BBC4’s documentary on Hornby last year I remember the Hattons rep being distinctly peeved when he met Simon Koehler at Hornby HQ for the 2019 range launch, calling the release of so many class 66s by Hornby ‘spiteful’.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Intrigued by the DC control...

Yesterday was my first experience with Lego trains. 

The 8 year old operator was delighted and demonstrated a working Eurostar with sounds and whistles on his phone app and used a tiny game controller to wirelessly operate the battery-powered train. Running was smooth and reliable.

No wiring needed. 

This is the way to go for model railways. 

Hornbys new DC system is intriguing but you still need the wires to the track. Surely the future is radio control and cut out the wires altogether. 

Diesel locos could have one driven bogie and the batteries could sit above the other bogie. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 3

3 minutes ago, Railpassion said:

Intrigued by the DC control...

Yesterday was my first experience with Lego trains. 

The 8 year old operator was delighted and demonstrated a working Eurostar with sounds and whistles on his phone app and used a tiny game controller to wirelessly operate the battery-powered train. Running was smooth and reliable.

No wiring needed. 

This is the way to go for model railways. 

Hornbys new DC system is intriguing but you still need the wires to the track. Surely the future is radio control and cut out the wires altogether. 

Diesel locos could have one driven bogie and the batteries could sit above the other bogie. 

Thus eliminating all of the pick up issues that are such a stress when running a model railway particularly on DCC.

• Agree 1

Wow. Exciting announcement from Hornby. Happy for my mate that the APT is coming. He lost money on the DJM one. Like the Dutch 31. As already mentioned, disappointed there is yet again no Blue 31/4 or Railfreight non red stripe 31, or Intercity Mainline 31/4. 
Love the HST Intercity DVT’s. Would have loved them both or even one of the two to be Intercity Executive, to make a proper early East Coast mk3 + 91 combination. The Floyd 56? Just how many are going to go for one of those, where Br Blue or Br Blue Large Logo would sell by the boat load. And some more HAA’s is nice to see. Overall pretty good. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, MGR Hooper! said:

Judging by threads on here and elsewhere,  I think you'll find a suprising percentage of buyers pick the cheap models as opposed to the super duper detailed ones. Hornby know their market and know what sells. I'm pretty certain 'finescale' modellers are in no way the predominant percentage of customers.

Edited by Denbridge
Spelling
  • Like 3
  • Agree 4

Some nice announcements in there in general - some surprises for sure. Of course Cavalex wont be thrilled with the 91 announcement, we have to see how they react. Only concern is the lack of MK4's to go with it......will they come, you would think so? But how many years down the road. If Hornby wanted to really kill off the Cavalex project you would think they would have indicated some intention to retool the whole lot rather than leave people wondering?

I am not sure I understand the some of the coach packs, the DRS Mk2 pack for example. A BSO and a TSO pictured, is that right (but in the caption 2x BSO and 1 TSO is listed which is even odder?!?)? The GA short set was 95% of the time TSO/TSO/BSO, so why not either make the train pack that or release a single TSO as an extra add on?

Some personal amusement at some of the items, when talking to senior Hornby folks at shows some of these when i mentioned/suggested were met with a 'no chance' - now they are in the catalogue! Always a case of never say never! :)

• Agree 1