Hornby 2020 range announcements

AY Mod

This is a really positive announcement overall. Does anyone know if the Swallow MK3s are the old tooling, I assume they are?

For me the only things that are really jumping out are the Dutch 31 and Buffer fitted HSTs in Swallow. 

The really disappointing thing for me is the Class 91. They had 30 years to improve their model, but never did. When a new company came along and did what they should have, the react like this! Poor form really. 

• Agree 3

Good god! That's a hefty list! 

Tim plate O gauge, big ticket lner items, apt and a variety of other stuff. They certainly have balls... 

The 91 makes perfect sense to me. Over the last few years they have released special pretty power cars on their own for collectors who have snapped them up. Perhaps they will cycle through them again. Cavex have nothing to worry about if they have the superior model and they are at the moment the only people offering a complete train in any event... 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

I’m quite surprised they did Class 43 Sir Kenneth Grange with a GWR Class 43 instead of the Intercity Class 43 it ran with for a while. 

I saw it quite a few times, and I am pretty sure there was a green 43 on the other end on every occasion.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, bart2day said:

Three manufacturers now have been burned by producing models that have been staples in Hornby’s range for years: Rails of Sheffield (Terrier), Hattons (Class 66) and Cavalex (91) and then complained afterwards that TS ‘spiteful’. Maybe it will actually teach them to manufacturer one of the dozens of locos/units that have never been produced in model form before rather than constantly retooling the same old locos from other manufacturers ranges’.

It depends on whether you ever want to see improvements or whether you are happy to stick with 30 year old tooling? For the 66 Hornby haven't tooled anything new up (just used the old Lima "66" tooling) and for something like the 66 there's probably space in the market for both a basic and full fat version.  

Hornby showed little interest in re-tooling their 91 (and I don't blame them for that) for years and yet Cavalex announce it and a new version is on the horizon.  

Competition is great in large markets and even in small markets provided it doesn't end up with unintended consequences of putting smaller players out of the game - that way you end up with pseudo-monopolies rather than competition.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, Islesy said:

And that's fine, but just for clarity I'd like to point out that when we announced the Class 87, we stated that we'd been looking at the Class 91 then and looking back at my research files, it was 26 May 2016 when I first visited the National Archives for this project. Not every project starts and runs through to completion uninterrupted, for various reasons including changes of TOC. For us, matters were certainly helped by Hitachi taking over operations at Bounds Green.

The big thing that I am surprised at (unless I havent read the thread far enough) is the lack of Mk4's and DVT to accompany.  Is that a surprise June announcement perhaps? Surely without the stock to run with it, it will hamper sales?  And surely whilst at Bounds Green, these things would have been looked into too?

The other thing with the Class 91 - will it have a working pantograph, as per the proposed competitors model.  That may also swing it for many people?  Especially, with the feedback from the Class 87, with its pantograph.

Regards,

C.

Edited by dogbox321
Additional point at bottom
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
Just now, dogbox321 said:

The big thing that I am surprised at (unless I havent read the thread far enough) is the lack of Mk4's and DVT to accompany.  Is that a surprise June announcement perhaps? Surely without the stock to run with it, it will hamper sales?  And surely whilst at Bounds Green, these things would have been looked into too?

Regards,

C.

Some Railroad blue/grey MK3s would be nice too to go with the HST power cars that have just reached the shops.

• Agree 2

Just now, richscylla said:

This is a really positive announcement overall. Does anyone know if the Swallow MK3s are the old tooling, I assume they are?

For me the only things that are really jumping out are the Dutch 31 and Buffer fitted HSTs in Swallow. 

The really disappointing thing for me is the Class 91. They had 30 years to improve their model, but never did. When a new company came along and did what they should have, the react like this! Poor form really. 

I fear its the old tooling with lashed up TGS :( I am hopefully proved wrong! If it was new tooling I would have been right in there. I am still running modified lima Mk3's due to been under impressed last release.

On the 91, yes a shame but business is business - we know the big legacy players are starting to fight back to the newer entrants.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Coryton said:

I saw it quite a few times, and I am pretty sure there was a green 43 on the other end on every occasion.

Last day in service (18May) it was paired with green 43198 and on the farewell tour 01Jun it was still paired with 43198

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, guard_jamie said:

I'm looking forward to picking up one or two of the O gauge 1920 Hornby loco when they've sat on the shelves for a while and the price has been slashed ;)

Looks like an ETS mechanism under it and they're very good, Hornby have probably gone to them for the whole thing. Horrifically overpriced though.

I don't think so . Only 100 of each version . Specially commissioned, obviously a niche product for collectors . I don't want one , but I doubt these will hang around.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, sandwich station said:

What about D1960 57' FK?

Sorry, slipped finger lead to posting half of list. Now updated.

D1905 57' BTK       Modified from same coach as existing Hornby BTK R4232 etc.

D1961 57' BFK        Coronation Scot version of D1910. not previously produced.

D1960 57' FK           Coronation Scot version of D1930.  Hornby R4230 etc, although some have wrong seating layout.

Some original issues are numbered in D1909 series which had 2 a side seating.

D1912 50' RK           Coronation Scot version of standard D1912. Not previously produced.

D1902 65' RFO         Coronation Scot version of standard D1902. Not previously produced.

D1981 57' RTO          Coronation Scot conversion from D1904. Not previously produced.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer
  • Informative/Useful 1

13 minutes ago, Denbridge said:

Judging by threads on here and elsewhere,  I think you'll find a suprising percentage of buyers pick the cheap models as opposed to the super duper detailed ones. Hornby know their market and know what sells. I'm pretty certain 'finescale' modellers are in no way the predominant percentage of customers.

I think in time we will see a growing market for Railroad+, as more and more detailed models get released at higher and higher cost the current railroad line will look more and more dated. I think there might be room for say some small updating of these say (if thats viable). The big one from what i hear on modern image locos is just something as simple as some lights, even to a basic degree. When I sell Railroad models on eBay with LED lights they always sell for way more.

PS Not too sure i understand what the Railroad+ is in the 2020 range, just some separately fitted detail like plates included?

Edited by sanspareil

58 minutes ago, Graham_Muz said:

I can confirm that the Rocket tooling is completely new and totally to 1/76th scale. The limited edition version with its Centenary box and certificate  (and Golden Ticket' chance) also contains different coaches to the standard range version. 

They looked exquisite when I saw them last month at Margate.

I was vaguely interested in a Rocket" pack until I read the above.   It would seem that to get all the coaches you need 2 Rocket train packs  -  disappointing and off-putting.

( By the way, what are the maximum number of coaches a Rocket can haul on the flat ? )

Still there are other things available.

Edited by phil gollin
  • Like 1

I'm sorely tempted by the Rocket pack, but I don't know what I'd do with it. The Express Dairies liveried Ruston has my interest, as it's local to me. I've been tempted by the Terrier in LBSC livery, but I've always said "well I don't need one, but if they did Tooting, Merton or Wandle, that would be cool" (again, the local interest). I never thought they'd actually get around to any of them, which explains why my wallet just screamed.

I have to say, I didn't see this coming. It's like someone accidentally copy-pasted an entire thread of frothing into an official document. I was expecting something like a Saint, another industrial, something small and pre-Grouping, safer choices like that.

Good luck to them, I'll be really interested to see how this goes.

• Agree 1

Some great additions but shame they are not doing 43185 Great Western to go with Sir Kenneth Grange. I know they didn't run together but if you've already got GWR power cars you could mix and match.

Also, wonder if the Swallow Mk3's will be a better grey colour rather than the 'magnolia' of the earlier versions?

Edited by axlej

32 minutes ago, bart2day said:

Three manufacturers now have been burned by producing models that have been staples in Hornby’s range for years: Rails of Sheffield (Terrier), Hattons (Class 66) and Cavalex (91) and then complained afterwards that TS ‘spiteful’. Maybe it will actually teach them to manufacturer one of the dozens of locos/units that have never been produced in model form before rather than constantly retooling the same old locos from other manufacturers ranges’.

With no announcement, how would other manufacturers be expected to know what Hornby is working on? For the 91, Hornby had 30 years to improve its original tooling and yet wait for a competitor to announce something before they get their finger out. I agree about tooling new models, but the 91 and 66 would have looked very much available for other manufacturers to produce.

• Agree 4

As for the LNER Mk3's. This could serve another purpose because EMR are taking on the LNER HST's and most of power cars have received EMR branding on the VTEC/LNER red part. So technically Hornby could do a set of EMR ex-LNER powercars to do the transitional period. As far as I am aware, those HST's are replacing the ex-EMT VP185 units and those Mk3's as they do not meet DDA requirements. The plan was that I was hoping that Hornby would have done a TTS decoder pack for the VP185 sounds. But as the ex-LNER HST's are MTU powered. That won't be necessary now. 

Great to see that Hornby are also doing the buffered HST's in the IC Swallow livery that will make good use of the TTS Valenta decoders and with the new Hornby Class 91 coming as well. We could have a nice scenario set in 1988/1989 where the Class 91's were used for a short while with the Mk3's and the HST-DVT's  before the Mk4 stock displaced them. Although I think the HST's were in the Executive livery and had full yellow fronts if I remember rightly? But on the model railway side of things, I think the user would get away with using the IC Swallow power cars with the Class 91 model if they wanted to. The Hornby Class 91 might be a bit of a kick in the teeth for the Cavelex model. But that said, if the Cavelex Mk4's come out before Hornby release theirs, then I don't see no harm in mix and matching and a wee bit of competition is always a good thing for the customer.

Staying with the HST's. I will be getting the GWR/IC pack for the reason is that the HST is probably one of the most respected high speed diesel passenger trains known to exist and I am pleased that Hornby are doing another run of the GWR Mk3's because some of the models I have seen on eBay to lately are being sold for nearly £60-£70 a piece. That is too high in my opinion as the only major change to the model is the swap out for the European tiphook couplers. I can speak from experience ;).

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, phil gollin said:

I was vaguely interested in a Rocket" pack until I read the above.   It would seem that to get all the coaches you need 2 Rocket train packs  -  disappointing and off-putting.

( By the way, what are the maximum number of coaches a Rocket can haul on the flat ? )

Still there are other things available.

By different coaches I should have been clearer that the differences are with the coach names only

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Well that seems to be a nicely balanced list, when I can get on the Hattons site I will be ordering  Salford and the 78xxx .

Thanks Andy for your time and effort.....much appreciated

Mike

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Good news about the Mk1 diagram 24 RB (seemingly with B1 or CW bogies) but what is indeed intriguing is R4974A which is described as InterCity no 1981 RBR.

Is this- and the accompanying picture suggest this too- a diag 23 RU (of the type that Bachmann produce) but in refurbished RBR (can't remember diag number) form which had bodyside alterations which Bachmann haven't modelled. Hopefully so as it will be a great match for the InterCity mk2d, f and Mk3a stock that isn't currently catered for by Bachmann. A clever move from Hornby if this is the case.

Just need Hornby to do a genuine Mk1 boat SO and to omit those roundels from the green stock. The new buffets significantly tip the balance towards Hornby in SR Mk1 stock.

Edited by Natalie
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3