Hornby 2020 range announcements

AY Mod

1 hour ago, Legend said:

I don't think so . Only 100 of each version . Specially commissioned, obviously a niche product for collectors . I don't want one , but I doubt these will hang around.

I wouldn't be so sure, speaking as a tinplate collector ;) . 100 each of four versions makes for 400 total, which is a pretty typical production run by ETS for ACE or WJ Vintage, runs are rarely larger, quite often smaller, and they cover the current three rail market nicely without causing serious rarity or exclusivity. 

The modern collector of tinplate wants either original, or a decent 'semi-scale' (think Dublo writ large) model, as evidenced by the products of ACE, WJ Vintage, Darstaed (previously) etc. These are neither and so are unlikely to cut it at this price, which is more than ACE were asking for their range of semi-scale 0-4-4Ts, and about the same as they wanted for a Large Prairie.

Of course, I may be underestimating those outside of the tinplate three-rail world who want one simply because of its special edition status, but thinking back to previous 'out-of-gauge' specials - remember Bachmann's pewter Puffing Billy? - I don't think these will have much appeal outside of those already in this area of modelling/collecting.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, centraltrains said:

Don't understand why 395 coaches are being made but not a 395 loco pack.

Presume this is the extra two coaches to go with the loco pack announced last year commemorating the naming of one of the units at the Ramsgate depot open day.

Keith

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, guard_jamie said:

I wouldn't be so sure, speaking as a tinplate collector ;) . 100 each of four versions makes for 400 total, which is a pretty typical production run by ETS for ACE or WJ Vintage, runs are rarely larger, quite often smaller, and they cover the current three rail market nicely without causing serious rarity or exclusivity. 

The modern collector of tinplate wants either original, or a decent 'semi-scale' (think Dublo writ large) model, as evidenced by the products of ACE, WJ Vintage, Darstaed (previously) etc. These are neither and so are unlikely to cut it at this price, which is more than ACE were asking for their range of semi-scale 0-4-4Ts, and about the same as they wanted for a Large Prairie.

Of course, I may be underestimating those outside of the tinplate three-rail world who want one simply because of its special edition status, but thinking back to previous 'out-of-gauge' specials - remember Bachmann's pewter Puffing Billy? - I don't think these will have much appeal outside of those already in this area of modelling/collecting.

That's collectors of those things. Most of us wouldn't know an ACE or Darstaed if we fell over one.

These are Hornby and a totally different kettle of fish. These will sell to those with a bit of money to put on a shelf or in a cabinet.

Jason

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Garethp8873 said:

Hooray to Hush-Hush! No longer need to get the kit built that I have!! Fantastic to see proper LMS Coronation Scot Coaches too now as well!!

Am I right in thinking that the 50' kitchen car is the same diagram as for ordinary trains? If so, I hope we don't have to wait too long for LMS/BR versions in maroon. Would be very useful.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, centraltrains said:

I'm sure I saw a slide which mentioned it as a when bought with offer, and a list of R numbers which qualified? Yet its not there - @AY Mod ?

• RMweb Gold

image.png

Hornby have managed to get the right numbering for a full set of the 1937 Coronation Scot stock. These only lasted in service in the original livery until 1939 when they were put into store. They returned to service on ordinary trains as the LMS saw no prospect of re-introducing a high speed service at the end of the war given the state of the infrastructure.

The Ill-fated 1939 stock as used for the USA train was stored part-built during the war then was completed for use on ordinary services c1946/7

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Am I right in thinking that the 50' kitchen car is the same diagram as for ordinary trains? If so, I hope we don't have to wait too long for LMS/BR versions in maroon. Would be very useful.

I think the roofs are a bit different.

But I would guess they have taken that into account and will eventually release them in ordinary liveries.

Jason

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

I agree. It's all in the timing, and the intent behind it and the effect it has.

To be quite frank, I don't know what a "91" is, so I don't know whether it's one of those models that's "always been in the Hornby range", and, if so, whether genuinely so, or "always been a Hornby model" in the sense of the 1989 Dapol-designed Terrier!

And, yes, where you have a model in your range already I'm sure re-tooling is often under-consideration at various times, and that in theory there would be a re-tool at some point, so claims can always be made that "we were going to do it anyway". 

Yet, it seems to me that on three recent occasions Hornby has been content not to re-tool until it has seen a competitor about to do so and then it's rushed to market it to spoil their sales. I hesitated before striking a negative note where there is much in this milestone anniversary and in this 2020 range to celebrate, but then, this petulant and damaging reaction of senior management to competition is now, alas, part of the Hornby story - as seen on TV - and no one is making Hornby executives behave in this way. It's as if being in charge of a household name has rather gone to their heads.  Hopefully, now that 2019, that most febrile of years is over, Hornby will re-think a potentially self-destructive strategy that leaves them looking to all but the most diehard fanboy like some over-grown playground bully.  We all want Hornby to survive, but they don't have to behave like this. 

So maybe we can expect Hornby to follow up a Terrier that could have been better if they hadn't rushed it out to beat the competition with a Class 91 that might well suffer the same way.

Mind you, given that my personal interests all lie West of a line drawn between Bristol and Bournemouth in the 1950s/60s, nothing off the ECML (apart from Kingfisher) will ever figure on my shopping list, whoever makes it or however good/bad it might be.

This morning's announcements represent very thin pickings for me, so I've diverted a chunk of my modelling budget to a new amp for the hi-fi. :jester:

John

• Friendly/supportive 1

The replica No1 Tender Engine in 0 is an inspired idea, and I’d bet that the 100 of each livery that they seem to intend will fly off the shelves.

Looking at the picture, I think it is on an ETS electric mechanism, which means that it will run beautifully, and it’s what HRCA members have been doing with tatty old genuine ones for years.

The price is interesting: it’s on the high side For a small loco when compared with other all-metal modern coarse-scale models of actual prototypes, but it’s for a “grey pound” market that seems prepared to spend on good quality toys.

Interesting that Jamie and I, both of whom know the ‘tinplate and coarse 0’ world a bit reach different conclusions as to its sales appeal ...... shall we run a sweepstake, the winner to get one (colour of their choice)?

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, CUCKOO LINE said:

Seems to be a lot of Oxford Diecast Structures items appearing in Hornby, is this a transition of items from Oxford to Hornby ?

That certainly seems to be the case. I wonder if Oxford Rail will still continue to operate, or we will see the Oxford Rail range merged into the main Hornby range? 

Fro example, the Oxford Rail GWR Engine:  

https://www.hattons.co.uk/286651/oxford_rail_os76r004_gwr_brick_built_single_track_engine_shed/stockdetail.aspx?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4q3eqZPv5gIVTLDtCh2o3QlHEAQYAiABEgLhL_D_BwE&fbclid=IwAR3GcjMsRxnwhbUDcDFpcC9fkDYZQ-s84uykEL6QPMnzoANQKU69IQ-DSyQ

Has now become: 

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/67109/R7283-Hornby-Skaledale-GWR-Engine-Shed?fbclid=IwAR1V7yuhilbSNaCPbz1lb8fdGmx1qoxgQ-bsEiGDqDty-kUhj146v4K9UIQ

Ps Hornby, if you are merging the Oxford structures range into Skaledale, now would be a good time to modify and correct the GWR Station Building with a slate roof / chimney! 

Edited by surfsup
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Edwardian said:

To be quite frank, I don't know what a "91" is, so I don't know whether it's one of those models that's "always been in the Hornby range", and, if so, whether genuinely so, or "always been a Hornby model" in the sense of the 1989 Dapol-designed Terrier!

The class 91 was introduced in the late 1980s as a part of the East Coast Main Line electrification scheme & has been running 125mph InterCity services ever since. They are now being replaced.

Hornby's model was released shortly after the real thing & has been in their range for most of this time. It was a good model in its time with the basic shape correct, but things have moved on.

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 2

1 minute ago, Pete the Elaner said:

The class 91 was introduced in the late 1980s as a part of the East Coast Main Line electrification scheme & has been running 125mph InterCity services ever since. They are now being replaced.

Hornby's model was released shortly after the real thing & has been in their range for most of this time. It was a good model in its time with the basic shape correct, but things have moved on.

Thanks, though, as I've said before to others who have educated me concerning matters post 1914, ignorance is a delicate bloom, touch it and it withers! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

What gets me is the idea that they've had "30 years" to retool it seeing as it's only 30 years old....

Seems some just can't help knocking Hornby for some strange reason.

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Like 1
  • Agree 10

47 minutes ago, Benjamin Brady said:

Fear not, you are not alone. It's the first thing I noticed when I saw this pack no 4 windowed buffet -_-

They did one 2-3 years ago, but it was an unusual one which I believe was in a WR set & had the 1st class stripe along the entire length of the coach.

One day I'll get around to paining half the stripe red, then I can get away with it in my HST.

2 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

I’m quite surprised they did Class 43 Sir Kenneth Grange with a GWR Class 43 instead of the Intercity Class 43 it ran with for a while. 

That train (43002+LA72 set+43198) is the exact set which ran the last ever down passenger service HST from Paddington- put the 43198 on the standard class TGS end and the 43002 on the first class end and you've got exactly the right formation assuming you buy all 8 new release GWR livery coaches and marshal them in numerical order!

• Informative/Useful 2

2 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

What gets me is the idea that they've had "30 years" to retool it seeing as it's only 30 years old....

Seems some just can't help knocking Hornby for some strange reason.

Jason

I agree.

I have never seen any criticism of its major dimensions, so presumably they got this just about right? This makes the model a good candidate for detailing.

If they were still selling then it seems better to spend (finite) resources at making something not available or bettering something which is more fundamentally wrong.

• Agree 2

Finally Hornby has released the Virgin mk2 FO coach, though annoyingly my first class passengers will be sitting in darkness whilst my Virgin SO coaches all came with interior lights! Did Hornby ever release the light strip as a spare?

Also, I don't think Hornby realise that the Virgin BSO and FO mk2s were never seen in the same rake. They need to tool up the RFB mk2 coach for the BSO.

The Aberdonian Tornado train pack looks good. Is this the first time anyone has produced an SPRS coach? I would have liked to have seen an extra SPRS coach pack to add to the train pack to make a realistic length train.

The new mk1 Restaurant Buffet is welcome, but again it's a shame Hornby didn't release the SPRS one, 1730. The SRPS coaches would appeal to modern image modellers.

I'd have thought Hornby would have produced the Northern Belle RB mk1, 1953, to go with last years Northern Belle coach and train packs. They also have the BG tooling but have never released a Northern belle one. People who have recently bought last years Northern Belle sets/packs now want to expand but can't. The Northern belle sleeper coaches are going for silly money on the bay. Seems like a missed opportunity again.

Good to see the DRS mk2s but it's a shame Hornby have decided to release another Network Rail Limby 37 rather than a DRS one to haul these coaches. A DRS one would also be suitable for hauling the new Network Rail coaches. Do Hornby have any locos that would haul the DRS mk2s?

Surprised by the lack of EWS branded items. I can't see any this year. I always thought EWS sells really well. It's nice to see the MGR back again, though oddly the graffiti and weathered one is £2 cheaper than the pristine MGR.

The new analogue control system is a surprise. It seems like a step backwards when people want more functionality and control, the popularity of DCC and TTS shows this. Hornby have eased off on TTS with no new chips announced this year, yet still many locos and DMUs are longing for the TTS treatment. I suspect the launch of the analogue system is part of their retro celebration year. Hopefully, next year they can get back to launching more TTS decoders and perhaps even the long awaited Railmaster loco detection system...

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, tgk300 said:

Well, who ever has the job within Hornby that gets to decide on what to release has not done a good job and needs sacking. Some of the stuff is alright, most of it is random "Sugar Honey Ice Tea" that quite frankly knowone wants. There is no new GWR Steam Loco's apart from one Star Class, the Class 20 looks like something you would get for free in a magazine from Lidl and then they are doing stupid things like the Stephensons Rocket Train Pack. I mean, where are the Class 68's, GWR IET's, Castle Set HST's, TPE and Caledonian Mk5's, GA 755's and 745's, Class 70's, full detail Class 20's, Manor Class, a decent GWR Panier tank and also a 3 car SWR Class 159. There are two good models in this years January announcments, and those are the GBRF Class 50's and the GBRF 47's, the rest is junk. If this is the standard are the class of model that Hornby are putting out, no wonder the company is basically bankrupt. They are appealing to the wrong people, old LMS and LNER steam is fine if you like that stuff, but don't forget the superior GWR stuff and of course modern image stuff that Hornby's future customer base are growing up with.

I am sorry if I come across angry, but I am. 

It would seem strange of them to duplicate something which Bachmann have just produced. 

Eventually Hornby need to realise that the kids of today don't give a toss about LMS coaches and their numbers, a stupid amount of old wagons and Stephensons Rocket. What they want is modern Sprinter units, pacers, aventras, CAF 195's. 

I suspect they'll sell more Rockets than CAF 195s. The "kids of today" arnt as rich as they used to be, nor so plentiful. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

2 minutes ago, tgk300 said:

Well, who ever has the job within Hornby that gets to decide on what to release has not done a good job and needs sacking. Some of the stuff is alright, most of it is random "Sugar Honey Ice Tea" that quite frankly knowone wants. There is no new GWR Steam Loco's apart from one Star Class, the Class 20 looks like something you would get for free in a magazine from Lidl and then they are doing stupid things like the Stephensons Rocket Train Pack. I mean, where are the Class 68's, GWR IET's, Castle Set HST's, TPE and Caledonian Mk5's, GA 755's and 745's, Class 70's, full detail Class 20's, Manor Class, a decent GWR Panier tank and also a 3 car SWR Class 159. There are two good models in this years January announcments, and those are the GBRF Class 50's and the GBRF 47's, the rest is junk. If this is the standard are the class of model that Hornby are putting out, no wonder the company is basically bankrupt. They are appealing to the wrong people, old LMS and LNER steam is fine if you like that stuff, but don't forget the superior GWR stuff and of course modern image stuff that Hornby's future customer base are growing up with. Eventually Hornby need to realise that the kids of today don't give a toss about LMS coaches and their numbers, a stupid amount of old wagons and Stephensons Rocket. What they want is modern Sprinter units, pacers, aventras, CAF 195's. 

I am sorry if I come across angry, but I am. 

I get what you're saying & not to mention the cynical attempt at re-tooling the Class 91 which is being done by a smaller company but ignoring a re-tool of the Class 50 & Class 56 which are overdue, yes they look alright but bring those two up to today's or future standards and why the hell are they doing the Class 56 in a Hungarian livery???

• Agree 1