Hornby 2020 range announcements

AY Mod

This seems like a great year for Hornby. A little bit for everyone. One thing that gets me is using Railroad tooling for the Sir Nigel Gresley A4. This wouldn't be so bad, but they have main range teak coaches included in the pack. I would say there are no main range A4's, but could technically count the rebuilt W1 :P Love the W1's and the other oddballs that everyone else also loves.

The GWR B-set is great to see, espically in post-war livery.

Rocket is a definitely buy

I hope Hornby is successful this year, just wish there was an A4 release, but we did have a lot last year, so very understandable. 

Just noticed that the Coronoation Scott coaches include a three car restaurant set. Sorry if anyone else has picked this up but I'm at work and can't really wade through 13 pages of posts

This must be the first time that such a formtion has been produced as RTR!

Whilst the Coronation Scott livery doesn't interest me, I might be interested in these in standard LMS/BR livery.

Rovex

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, surfsup said:

That certainly seems to be the case. I wonder if Oxford Rail will still continue to operate, or we will see the Oxford Rail range merged into the main Hornby range? 

Fro example, the Oxford Rail GWR Engine:  

https://www.hattons.co.uk/286651/oxford_rail_os76r004_gwr_brick_built_single_track_engine_shed/stockdetail.aspx?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4q3eqZPv5gIVTLDtCh2o3QlHEAQYAiABEgLhL_D_BwE&fbclid=IwAR3GcjMsRxnwhbUDcDFpcC9fkDYZQ-s84uykEL6QPMnzoANQKU69IQ-DSyQ

Has now become: 

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/67109/R7283-Hornby-Skaledale-GWR-Engine-Shed?fbclid=IwAR1V7yuhilbSNaCPbz1lb8fdGmx1qoxgQ-bsEiGDqDty-kUhj146v4K9UIQ

Ps Hornby, if you are merging the Oxford structures range into Skaledale, now would be a good time to modify and correct the GWR Station Building with a slate roof / chimney! 

Whilst indeed some Oxford items have been moved into the Hornby range (as has already been the case in the past) , I am led to believe that this is in no way a merger.

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Well what a surprise, I didn’t expect any of that.  However I do think it is a brilliant lot of models they are going to produce.  Very adventurous with the Steampunk, but why not, it could bring more youngsters into the hobby.  Retro models too, should appeal to those who were brought up on them. As for the new DC control system, another good move, there are loads of cheap second hand locos on the market which are great for kids, so add smartphone control and hopefully they have got a winner.  Personally I  would have liked to see a new dmu - 104, 120 or TransPennine - but I’m happy to settle for the APT instead.

10 minutes ago, tgk300 said:

Well, who ever has the job within Hornby that gets to decide on what to release has not done a good job and needs sacking. Some of the stuff is alright, most of it is random "Sugar Honey Ice Tea" that quite frankly knowone wants. There is no new GWR Steam Loco's apart from one Star Class, the Class 20 looks like something you would get for free in a magazine from Lidl and then they are doing stupid things like the Stephensons Rocket Train Pack. I mean, where are the Class 68's, GWR IET's, Castle Set HST's, TPE and Caledonian Mk5's, GA 755's and 745's, Class 70's, full detail Class 20's, Manor Class, a decent GWR Panier tank and also a 3 car SWR Class 159. There are two good models in this years January announcments, and those are the GBRF Class 50's and the GBRF 47's, the rest is junk. If this is the standard are the class of model that Hornby are putting out, no wonder the company is basically bankrupt. They are appealing to the wrong people, old LMS and LNER steam is fine if you like that stuff, but don't forget the superior GWR stuff and of course modern image stuff that Hornby's future customer base are growing up with. Eventually Hornby need to realise that the kids of today don't give a toss about LMS coaches and their numbers, a stupid amount of old wagons and Stephensons Rocket. What they want is modern Sprinter units, pacers, aventras, CAF 195's. 

I am sorry if I come across angry, but I am. 

Wow. There's always one. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 12
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, classy52 said:

I get what you're saying & not to mention the cynical attempt at re-tooling the Class 91 which is being done by a smaller company but ignoring a re-tool of the Class 50 & Class 56 which are overdue, yes they look alright but bring those two up to today's or future standards and why the hell are they doing the Class 56 in a Hungarian livery???

For the R-number completists?

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Am I right in thinking that the 50' kitchen car is the same diagram as for ordinary trains? If so, I hope we don't have to wait too long for LMS/BR versions in maroon. Would be very useful.

The Coronation Scot RKs were a block of six, 30084-89,of the D1912 design specially prepared in blue livery for use in the train.They were taken from the lot built by Gloucester RCW in 1936/7

According to the caption of a picture of the Coronation Scot version in Jenkison and Essery's LMS Coaches - An  Illustrated History

"The general service version showed no significant external differences except for the livery"

Hopefully Hornby will do a series of liveries covering their lifetime from 1936 to 1965. I could be tempted by Blood and Custard or BR Maroon.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

That's collectors of those things. Most of us wouldn't know an ACE or Darstaed if we fell over one.

These are Hornby and a totally different kettle of fish. These will sell to those with a bit of money to put on a shelf or in a cabinet.

Jason

40 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

The replica No1 Tender Engine in 0 is an inspired idea, and I’d bet that the 100 of each livery that they seem to intend will fly off the shelves.

Looking at the picture, I think it is on an ETS electric mechanism, which means that it will run beautifully, and it’s what HRCA members have been doing with tatty old genuine ones for years.

The price is interesting: it’s on the high side For a small loco when compared with other all-metal modern coarse-scale models of actual prototypes, but it’s for a “grey pound” market that seems prepared to spend on good quality toys.

Interesting that Jamie and I, both of whom know the ‘tinplate and coarse 0’ world a bit reach different conclusions as to its sales appeal ...... shall we run a sweepstake, the winner to get one (colour of their choice)?

I'm just not sure they will appeal to very many people at the price currently asked, I think some will sell to the fastidious and wealthy collectors but how many of them are there? I think a more ordinary Hornby Hobbies collector with £500 is more likely to splurge on two or three locos or a top end set, whilst the tinplater with £500 is either going to splurge on an original c/w c.1920 Hornby loco or maybe an ACE GWR mogul or similar...now if they fall to £200 or so I think they'll definitely sell, mainly to tinplaters who can use them...

Edited by guard_jamie

4 minutes ago, classy52 said:

I get what you're saying & not to mention the cynical attempt at re-tooling the Class 91 which is being done by a smaller company but ignoring a re-tool of the Class 50 & Class 56 which are overdue, yes they look alright but bring those two up to today's or future standards and why the hell are they doing the Class 56 in a Hungarian livery???

dare I ask what you think should be re-tooled about the Class 50 and 56? The superdetailed ones cant be far off being among the best models you can get.

The original Class 91 tooling from 1988 or so was pretty basic and probably 'railroad' standard today (no lights, weak motor, poor glazing, solid grilles between the bogies, heavy pantograph) so if looking for new prototypes to model, it was long overdue especially when prices of later versions were creeping up around £95 so prices weren't far off keeping up from current models while standards hadn't.

• Agree 3

4 minutes ago, classy52 said:

Yeah ok...I'm sure there a plenty of people wanting to run that on their UK layouts. 

one as a loco being hauled off on its way to a new career? If its 00 gauge rather than HO I doubt it'd appeal to Hungarian modellers

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

6 minutes ago, aaron3820 said:

Not everything has to be for the UK market you know 

Well that told me, do you seriously think that Class 56 is going to be a good seller in OO Gauge within the UK or those on the Continent who model in HO?...I'll eat my shorts if it is.

Edited by classy52
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

23 minutes ago, JohnR said:

It would seem strange of them to duplicate something which Bachmann have just produced. 

I suspect they'll sell more Rockets than CAF 195s. The "kids of today" arnt as rich as they used to be, nor so plentiful. 

I'm a 32 year old "kid" (haha) who would have a 195 over most of the stuff in this year's catalogue. But there is some good stuff in there I think.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, GordonC said:

dare I ask what you think should be re-tooled about the Class 50 and 56? The superdetailed ones cant be far off being among the best models you can get.

The original Class 91 tooling from 1988 or so was pretty basic and probably 'railroad' standard today (no lights, weak motor, poor glazing, solid grilles between the bogies, heavy pantograph) so if looking for new prototypes to model, it was long overdue especially when prices of later versions were creeping up around £95 so prices weren't far off keeping up from current models while standards hadn't.

I have read on the Class 50 threads over time that the tooling could be better and the experts critiquing it said something about the cab ends but honestly don't have the exact details but as for the Class 56 those sunken roof fan vents are a dead giveaway and quite off putting.

Yes the Hornby Class 91 is basic but we have Cavalex bringing out a new tooled version incl. the accompanying MK4's thus don't see the point in Hornby doing the same and for me IMO seems to be unnecessary duplication which should be avoided in the model railway market but yes we all have the freedom to choose when the time comes and there will be a winner & a loser when both are released.

2 hours ago, APOLLO said:

A2/2 "Cock of the North" for me. £190 due December,  Thats around £4 a week to save - worth it to me.

...or about 10 Hornby shares per week....

HRN Hornby PLC up 6.84% on todays announcement.

• Informative/Useful 2

Just now, AY Mod said:

Not half as angry as I am at reading rubbish like that; believe me.

Think yourself fortunate that you are only on a final written warning for your forum conduct rather than being sacked yourself.

Are opinions differing from your own not allowed? Must all opinions agree with yours or else they are worthy of a warning? Is this one of those forums dictated by mods with their own ideology and anything else is totally supressed? Seems that way to me. 

• Agree 2
  • Funny 2

2 minutes ago, classy52 said:

I have read on the Class 50 threads over time that the tooling could be better and the experts critiquing it said something about the cab ends but honestly don't have the exact details but as for the Class 56 those sunken roof fan vents are a dead giveaway and quite off putting.

Yes the Hornby Class 91 is basic but we have Cavalex bringing out a new tooled version incl. the accompanying MK4's thus don't see the point in Hornby doing the same and for me IMO seems to be unnecessary duplication which should be avoided in the model railway market but yes we all have the freedom to choose when the time comes and there will be a winner & a loser when both are released.

The front cab windows are horribly wrong, the characteristic sad eyed look and the rearwards rake are missing .

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1